List Mgmt. Carlton's 2020 Draft Thread

RoyalParade

Cancelled
Feb 19, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Personally loving an extra second, not fussed with shipping out 48 and next years 3rd

31 and 38 could get us a couple good prospects, personally think we’ll package them up to move further up the order though...

Melbourne at 19, as they have 18 already, has a good look to it
Can't see melb go back in the draft, after giving up next year's 1st to bris for picks 18 and 19 this year

Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Personally loving an extra second, not fussed with shipping out 48 and next years 3rd

31 and 38 could get us a couple good prospects, personally think we’ll package them up to move further up the order though...

Melbourne at 19, as they have 18 already, has a good look to it

Not sure why Melbourne would want to drop down the order though...

Nov 3, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Sandringham Zebras, Melbourne Renegades
If i'm Austin, there is no way I'm getting rid of BSOS, HMac and Goddard all in one year unless we're looking to draft another KPD. We need to pick someone up to develop for 2-3 years and hopefully step into the seniors when Jones is finished.

Nik Cox looks like the obvious target at around the pick 20 range, and I would happy to combine all 3 picks from this draft to get him, he's a quality player. On top of that, I would like a senior body such as McDonald or Trengove to be there in the mean time if Weiters/Jones are injured.

In terms of a 3rd ruck, although I think it would be cool I don't really want Henry Walsh. We have enough young ruck talent, and just need a mature body for safety and a presence in the VFL. I'm even happy to pass on this option if our DFA key defender like one of the two mentioned above can provide some ruck relief. However if not, a ruck/forward to supply some extra depth to cover for Charlie would be my preference.

Finally, A small forward who's a natural goal kicker, not a converted midfielder. There's plenty of them around. Can either be through the national draft, rookie draft or DFA.

ItsAllAboutMe

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 22, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Robbie Fox from Sydney who seemed unlucky to be delisted by the Swans, played 14 games and was a decent medium sized defender would be worth a spot on our list IMO The other one that could be worth a look is Scharenberg, was a crucial player in the pies defence when they played in the GF in 2018 but then for what ever reason had limited opportunities the past 2 seasons.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Yeah I actually agree after the last 2 posts I read

I would have assumed GWS would be the natural fit with Pick 20. But even then, I'm not sure on the placement of their academy players so it may not be worth their while either.

That being said - we don't necessarily need to package up 31 and 38. We could look to deal 38 + our future second instead to a club who'd like to bank an extra pick next year. That may interest GWS more, possibly Collingwood (Pick 16), St Kilda (Pick 21), Adelaide (Picks 22 or 23). Anything later than that and I think we'd be wanting another third back (probably future).

Stamos

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 30, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Robbie Fox from Sydney who seemed unlucky to be delisted by the Swans, played 14 games and was a decent medium sized defender would be worth a spot on our list IMO The other one that could be worth a look is Scharenberg, was a crucial player in the pies defence when they played in the GF in 2018 but then for what ever reason had limited opportunities the past 2 seasons.

Have we got a list spot for another medium sized defender?

Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton

Saw that - reckon both are a bit of a waste of time for us, positionally. If they were taller and could play as a third tall/sweeper, then sure - either would be a possible Marchbank backup if his injury woes continue. But we don't really need another medium defender with Plow, Doc, Willo, Newman, Saad, SPS, Kemp, Cottrell, Ramsay etc. playing or able to play through there.

Oct 15, 2007
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Liverpool, OKC Thunder
I would have assumed GWS would be the natural fit with Pick 20. But even then, I'm not sure on the placement of their academy players so it may not be worth their while either.

That being said - we don't necessarily need to package up 31 and 38. We could look to deal 38 + our future second instead to a club who'd like to bank an extra pick next year. That may interest GWS more, possibly Collingwood (Pick 16), St Kilda (Pick 21), Adelaide (Picks 22 or 23). Anything later than that and I think we'd be wanting another third back (probably future).
I’m pretty keen to try and preserve our first couple picks in next years draft

Got a feeling if it was GWS, St Kilda or Adelaide, we might indeed be asking for a future third back, especially the Crows

Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
I’m pretty keen to try and preserve our first couple picks in next years draft

Got a feeling if it was GWS, St Kilda or Adelaide, we might indeed be asking for a future third back, especially the Crows

You're probably right on that front.

Though as we saw with Stocker - if a player is still on the board that you really rate, sometimes it's best to pull the trigger.

If Cox was available at 20, and 38 + future second was what GWS wanted, I think I'd be OK with it. Means next year we'd need to get a bit creative, but that's OK.

Nov 4, 2003
Earth, near Carlton.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Strange pick swap, effectively similar points exchanging hands
Which Sydney turned around and magicked another 180 points out of. When you look at the current draft order, I'm not sure pick 31 really offers anything over pick 37 in real terms... maybe for teams expecting early bids?

I'd be curious if we were even aware of Gold Coast entertaining a trade. Not a bad trade in isolation I suppose, but it seems we were played.

I like them all.

Gibbons wasn't drafted. Willo and TDK are good prospects. TDK is probably the only one whose a potential star of the three.

Three possible best 22 players in 5 years from rd 2 or higher.

That's not good for a rebuilding team. Disastrous even.
I mean we've also traded away a lot of second round picks in that time.

No. We have (up to) 3 senior spots available, and then after we take Kennedy we will still have 1 rookie spot. 4 in total.
And one Cat B slot.

Keep in mind we can now pre-rookie up to two players that we've delisted or have currently on our senior list.

What's the difference between a Cat A and B rookie? Aren't they just international players or like Owies who have come from a different sport not associated with Australian football?

Cat B are exactly what you are describing.

Cat A are 'normal' rookies.

Kreuuuzeurns

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 25, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
You're probably right on that front.

Though as we saw with Stocker - if a player is still on the board that you really rate, sometimes it's best to pull the trigger.

If Cox was available at 20, and 38 + future second was what GWS wanted, I think I'd be OK with it. Means next year we'd need to get a bit creative, but that's OK.

Next year we are most likely going to have 1-2 kids looking elsewhere. It’s inevitable with the amount of talent we’ve acquired. I think we’ll be able to find our way back into the draft somehow, though we only really need to have 2 firsts (2021/22) to get the bulk of a deal done. Assuming next year is more about topping up and less about drafting.

The Bombers finishing bottom 2 and releasing Merrett as an RFA is the dream.

bmaurizio

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2004
Singapore
AFL Club
Carlton
In 2021 the addition of an elite midfielder such Kelly or Merritt for zilch would be excellent.
Most likely Betts , Murphy & Bolt will retire , we’ll probably trade or move on a few youngsters and decision will have to be made on a few Kennedy , Cunningham, Silvagni and Gov, some youngsters may look for greener pastures too.
Cap to snare an elite should not be a problem.

Nov 27, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton

Re: scharenberg - his body is made of glass.

Brackets

Cancelled
Nov 7, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
What's the difference between a Cat A and B rookie? Aren't they just international players or like Owies who have come from a different sport not associated with Australian football?
You'd think clubs will start maxing out Cat B spots with the reductions, despite the limited success generally seen. Will probably see a resurgence of gaelic players targeted.

Nov 22, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
If i'm Austin, there is no way I'm getting rid of BSOS, HMac and Goddard all in one year unless we're looking to draft another KPD. We need to pick someone up to develop for 2-3 years and hopefully step into the seniors when Jones is finished.

Nik Cox looks like the obvious target at around the pick 20 range, and I would happy to combine all 3 picks from this draft to get him, he's a quality player. On top of that, I would like a senior body such as McDonald or Trengove to be there in the mean time if Weiters/Jones are injured.

In terms of a 3rd ruck, although I think it would be cool I don't really want Henry Walsh. We have enough young ruck talent, and just need a mature body for safety and a presence in the VFL. I'm even happy to pass on this option if our DFA key defender like one of the two mentioned above can provide some ruck relief. However if not, a ruck/forward to supply some extra depth to cover for Charlie would be my preference.

Finally, A small forward who's a natural goal kicker, not a converted midfielder. There's plenty of them around. Can either be through the national draft, rookie draft or DFA.

The reason we got rid of them was because the list was unbalanced though, there is still more than enough options for KPD, rather we target that natural small forward or small defender.

Stamos

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 30, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
The reason we got rid of them was because the list was unbalanced though, there is still more than enough options for KPD, rather we target that natural small forward or small defender.

We have a total of 2 KPD on the list, with Levi able to provide cover.
Don't see how that is "more than enough options"?

Back