Delisted Former CEO Xavier Campbell - Resigned - 24/8

Remove this Banner Ad

I can understand not wanting to demand the players show for a meeting during the off-season, I don't think clubs are allowed to contact them too much during their breaks and they're not due back until January.

Obviously shouldn't have slashed their wages without talking to them first though.

Wouldn't not being back until January relate to training so the club should be able to organise meetings over conditions. Using email is increasingly common in HR but it is lazy and disrespectful because it doesn't allow the players to contribute which then creates friction between the players and club.

I wonder if the club understands just how difficult they’re making it for even the most rusted on nuffies to stay on board at the moment? If they don’t yet, next years membership numbers will make it abundantly clear. Loss of revenue and bums on seats is a (the only) language corporate shills like XC understand. 1606686715716.gif

Last edited:
I wonder if the club understands just how difficult they’re making it for even the most rusted on nuffies to stay on board at the moment? If they don’t yet, next years membership numbers will make it abundantly clear. Loss of revenue and bums on seats is a (the only) language corporate shills like XC understand. View attachment 1020605
Yep. This is supposed to be the time of year we build our optimism again. I do not want XC to be part of our comeback story.

I wonder if the club understands just how difficult they’re making it for even the most rusted on nuffies to stay on board at the moment? If they don’t yet, next years membership numbers will make it abundantly clear. Loss of revenue and bums on seats is a (the only) language corporate shills like XC understand. View attachment 1020605
my issue is i have an AFL membership. I don't want to lose the spot in the queue for Gold (im a few hundred away, so hoping i get it next season).
to then align it elsewhere feels wrong.....but **** me the club is making it easier.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, even if they’re on holiday somewhere it isn’t hard to send an email saying “Hey, sorry to interrupt your break, when is a good time to chat over the phone?”
yeah, not only that but player managers are never on leave

This is what is so gobsmackingly amateur about it.

Players Agents can be contacted at pretty much any time. The club could've outlined what they wanted to do and why and from there organised an actual playing list meeting, with the player agents assistance, where it could be discussed as a group/or individually if need be depending on availabilities.
That would have been an appropriate & almost 'professional' manner in which to handle this.

But no, we can't have that....

Last edited:
This is what is so gobsmackingly amateur about it.

Players Agents can be contacted at pretty much any time. The club could've outlined what they wanted to do and why and from there organised an actual playing list meeting, with the player agents assistance, where it could be discussed as a group/or individually if need be depending on availabilities.
That would have been an appropriate & almost 'professional' manner in which to handle this.

But no, we can't have that....

What is so absolutely astounding is how easy this is. Like I feel like you would have to actively go out of your way to stuff this up.

Your average football fan could manage this situation better.

This club is a basket case, wouldn't know professionalism if it smacked them in the face.

What is so absolutely astounding is how easy this is. Like I feel like you would have to actively go out of your way to stuff this up.

Your average football fan could manage this situation better.

This club is a basket case, wouldn't know professionalism if it smacked them in the face.
yep and in the meantime i'm all

This is ridiculous. 'Amateurish' would be a complimentary term because it implies that it is simply the actions of someone who is inept, whereas I believe this situation smacks of callousness at best and pure maliciousness at worst. If my workplace sent me an email like that at 8PM on a Friday I'd be contacting my union rep on Monday at 9AM and an employment lawyer immediately after that.

It doesn't matter if you're a footballer or a boot-studder, if you're in employee of the football club then you have the right to have your employment contract honoured to the terms agreed within. I simply do not understand how this club (and the AFL industry as a whole) seems to think they are exempt from Employment and Workplace Law to act in this manner is quite frankly disgusting and embarrassing.

This is ridiculous. 'Amateurish' would be a complimentary term because it implies that it is simply the actions of someone who is inept, whereas I believe this situation smacks of callousness at best and pure maliciousness at worst. If my workplace sent me an email like that at 8PM on a Friday I'd be contacting my union rep on Monday at 9AM and an employment lawyer immediately after that.

It doesn't matter if you're a footballer or a boot-studder, if you're in employee of the football club then you have the right to have your employment contract honoured to the terms agreed within. I simply do not understand how this club (and the AFL industry as a whole) seems to think they are exempt from Employment and Workplace Law to act in this manner is quite frankly disgusting and embarrassing.

COVID has given some level of cover for businesses to "ask" employees to take less salary for less time worked to keep them afloat.
I imagine if done in the right spirit, you'd consider an 8% salary shave for 8% less time on tools to help guarantee the other 92% of your income as well as your colleagues' income.

The email smacks of rabble level decision making
and the soft response of "we own that" doesn't fly when it isn't a one off.
The village idiot can see a mile off that's not the right decision to make. Yet it was made and executed.
WTF

Brasher seems an experienced head to have as president
High time we got an experienced CEO & Football GM in to get us on a straight track without these distracting mistakes

This is too blatant to be incompetence. Either settling a score internally or deliberately trying to embarrass the club / take it further down the degeneration ladder. See last 30 years of US presidential administrations for similar examples of how to take down a former powerhouse from within...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back