Top 5 - Most Hated Teams in the AFL Era (poll included)

Most hated club in the afl era?

• Essendon

Votes: 133 33.2%
  • Carlton

Votes: 37 9.2%
  • Hawthorn

Votes: 30 7.5%
  • Brisbane

Votes: 2 0.5%
  • Sydney

Votes: 7 1.7%
  • West Coast

Votes: 26 6.5%
  • Melbourne

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • Other

• Geelong

Votes: 28 7.0%
  • Port Adelaide

• Adelaide

Votes: 13 3.2%
  • Richmond

Votes: 37 9.2%
  • St. Kilda

• GWS

• Bulldogs

• Fremantle

• Gold Coast

• Melbourne

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • North Melbourne

Votes: 8 2.0%
  • Collingwood

Votes: 36 9.0%
  • Melbourne (someone please vote Melbourne)

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Maxwell, pendlebury, shaws and clokes, didak, obrien, and swan and thomas are more of a reason to hate them than buckley and mcguire.
Pendlebury????

The rest I can understand (although ****ed if I know why anyone would hate Cloke either) but Pendles is an out and out champion. Can’t remember him ever even being cited by an umpire, as fair as they come and well spoken.

Pendlebury????

The rest I can understand (although f’ed if I know why anyone would hate Cloke either) but Pendles is an out and out champion. Can’t remember him ever even being cited by an umpire, as fair as they come and well spoken.

He was underrated for so long, then people started always raving about him, now he's rated fairly.

Ps - i love Pendlebury, he is amazing, he weaves through traffic like a magician and is so damaging by foot. Seems like a genuine nice bloke too.

I think you'll find it's maybe the older generation that hate Collingwood for whatever reason, but I don't think Collingwood are hated. I don't really hate them. I'd rather have Collingwood 4-peat than having Carlton win even one.

They have a lot of supporters so of course it's nice to beat them like any other big club, but there's nothing really to hate them for.

Don't hate any club but I dislike Essendon especially since 2013. I will admit as a kid in the 80's and early 90's they were my second favourite team lol. Loved watching Simon Madden, Tony Antribous, Watson, Salmon, Kickett the windsock at Windy Hill etc.. All I knew was that Collingwood, Carlton and Richmond where the biggest clubs and they hated each other.

West Coast Eagles, especially from 1990 onwards when they got Malthouse and knocked down the old concrete terraces and grassed bank at Subiaco Oval to make the ground sanitized and corporate. Also, as a Perth person, the culture was you were expected to support Eagles because they were viewed as a state-team (and as a football club so no logic there). You were expected to support West Coast and old loyalties to your existing WAFL and VFL club suddenly overnight counted for nothing. In fact to abandon your Melbourne-based VFL club was even viewed favourably whilst to still support WAFL was viewed as quaint, weird and hopelessly old-fashioned and boring. The world changed overnight - I never really adjusted!

See this thinking is just wrong, this competition is NOT representation football. It's a club premiership competition.

Ad nauseum I have asked / suggested if this is the reason that the wa and sa public dumped their clubs that have been around forever like a bad habit on these boards.

The moment I ask / suggest it, they all get defensive and go into denial mode.

Anyway hate your mob, Wayne Harmes If I met him on the street.............................. who knows how I'd react.

I have no issue with Collingwood at all. It's actually one of my favourite Victorian clubs. Your supporters aren't as arrogant as some of the other bigger melbourne clubs and seem to be grounded about where the playing list is at most years. There's a couple melbourne based clubs that always think they're sure things during every single pre season like clockwork. Collingwood definitely don't fit that narrative.

What not even pity? So we less relevant than I expected, I shouldn't be surprised really.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We're too crap to be hated, but I'm sure there are plenty who (rightfully) hate us for the tanking etc.

Collingwood is one of those clubs I actually don't mind, I reckon footy in Melbourne is better when they're up and about, Richmond too.

Never liked Essendon though.

Plenty of Greeks go for Carlton though?Quite a few Greeks moved to Australia, during and after the Greek civil war. Majority came to Melbourne, where they populated suburbs such as Richmond, Collingwood,Carlton etc etc, my family being one that lived in Carlton.

So there you go, it does make sense why my family follows Carlton. Carlton has always had a Greek fanbase, it may not be as big as Collingwoods, but we exist and are one of the biggest.

Quite a few Greeks followed north melbourne aswell, simply because they share the same colours as the greek flag.

Yep, I also know several greek Carlton supporters.
None of my fellow greek family friends that follow the Blues, or myself, have ever lived in Carlton. I chose Carlton when I was a kid because I liked the name, the colours and players like Jesaulenko.
One family friend chose Geelong when he migrated here from Cyprus because the cats jumper reminded him of the greek flag.

Probably a younger generation thing.

There hasn't been much of a rivalry between Collingwood and Carlton for the past 35 years or so.

I don't think we've played a final against one another since the 1981 Grand Final?

1985 to 1988 - Pies sh*te, Carlton good
1990 to 1992 - Pies good, Carlton sh*te
1993 to 2001 - Pies sh*te, Carlton good
Since 2002 - Pies good, Carlton sh*te

Whereas Carlton v. Essendon since the 1990's:
1993 Grand Final
1999/2000/2001
Since the early 2000's, whilst it has been a cripple battle, the teams have usually been evenly matched.

I reckon my vintage and older, the Carlton v. Collingwood mutual hatred is common.

Good summary from you regarding the rivalries Fadge.

The Blues and Pies also met in the 1984 first semi & 1988 qualifying finals, therefore since 1981 they no longer both made the finals at the same time in successive years.

Last edited:
Probably a younger generation thing.

There hasn't been much of a rivalry between Collingwood and Carlton for the past 35 years or so.

I don't think we've played a final against one another since the 1981 Grand Final?

1985 to 1988 - Pies sh*te, Carlton good
1990 to 1992 - Pies good, Carlton sh*te
1993 to 2001 - Pies sh*te, Carlton good
Since 2002 - Pies good, Carlton sh*te

Whereas Carlton v. Essendon since the 1990's:
1993 Grand Final
1999/2000/2001
Since the early 2000's, whilst it has been a cripple battle, the teams have usually been evenly matched.

I reckon my vintage and older, the Carlton v. Collingwood mutual hatred is common.
Yeah i think you might be correct. I dont hate or despise collingwood, but i do enjoy our rivalry, even have some respect for collingwood. Dont quite know how to explain it but i always obviously want to beat collingwood, but its in the spirit of the rivalry, where as with essendon, i just plain hate their guts.

I think this decade our rivalry will heat up and probably become personal for most younger generation supporters, because i believe in this decade, we probably will meet each other in finals. I think there might be a slight chance we both finish 6th and 7th, and play off against each other. 2013 we were so close to it happening.

Don't hate any club but I dislike Essendon especially since 2013. I will admit as a kid in the 80's and early 90's they were my second favourite team lol. Loved watching Simon Madden, Tony Antribous, Watson, Salmon, Kickett the windsock at Windy Hill etc.. All I knew was that Collingwood, Carlton and Richmond where the biggest clubs and they hated each other.
Never thought I'd see the day when someone had Carlton and Essendon as their top two teams. It's like having Christianity and Satanism as your favourite religions.

I don't hate any side.

I'm nauseated by the substandard commentary of games.
I'm angered by the prevalence of sportsbetting advertising.
I'm cringing at the way we all will be patronised by the media again.
I'm irritated by the inequities between Victorian and non-Victorian clubs.
I'm frustrated that we don't wear our traditional jumper more often (every Anzac day at a bare minimum to honour Bob Quinn and others).

Hate a side though, nah, life is too short for that s**t.

Amazing how the Big 4 are the most hated 😏

Not to mention THAT big 4 narrative was avoided and Collingwood and Richmond were played down and not included in the poll initial and on the list at all.

The Drugs saga has made Essendon hated on another level

Last edited:
West Coast Eagles, especially from 1990 onwards when they got Malthouse and knocked down the old concrete terraces and grassed bank at Subiaco Oval to make the ground sanitized and corporate. Also, as a Perth person, the culture was you were expected to support Eagles because they were viewed as a state-team (and as a football club so no logic there). You were expected to support West Coast and old loyalties to your existing WAFL and VFL club suddenly overnight counted for nothing. In fact to abandon your Melbourne-based VFL club was even viewed favourably whilst to still support WAFL was viewed as quaint, weird and hopelessly old-fashioned and boring. The world changed overnight - I never really adjusted!

I smell bullshit

Back