Past #7: Jack Ziebell [Part II] - retires post-RFC game/280gm&183gl/6yr captain - Shinboner - assaulted post-RFC game& in hospital - get well soon JZ

Remove this Banner Ad

To me, that suggests he's not good enough for our new forward line, or quick enough for our new midfield.

I'm sure he'll do what needs to be done to the best he can, but if anything the move down back highlights how much he's winding down in his career.
Wait for it!

To me, that suggests he's not good enough for our new forward line, or quick enough for our new midfield.

I'm sure he'll do what needs to be done to the best he can, but if anything the move down back highlights how much he's winding down in his career.

He's definitely closer to the finish line than the starting line, but looking at our list we have a glut of medium forwards with decent exposed form, whereas the medium defenders are a lot less experienced and/or have shown less form.

On '19 levels his form is more than good enough to hold a forward spot on his own merits, and considering how fit he looks I imagine he would still be capable of replicating that.

Missed set shots under pressure - he has killed our momentum far too many times. He needs to kick those goals as very deflating.

Going to ground far too easily - keeping your feet is under 12s stuff to stay in the contest. Once on the ground you are out of play.

Hack kicks when under minimal pressure. Opposition set up deliberately for such kicks and leaves up open on rebound.

I absolutely love his courage and if the game was 30 years ago I believe it would suit his game far better.
As much as I hate it unfortunately this is a pretty accurate summary of his last 2 years. If he is to not be a bust in 2021 he would already have to have put a lot of hours into his goalkicking in the off season otherwise he is simply taking the piss.

Pretty much what a few of us have said today!

Out of contract (?) at the end of the year, so kind of a make or break role change.

He is a good open field kick and could intercept mark and crash a few blokes, so worth a try.

Swallow was retired by 30 with 224 games but he really had no strings to play other roles.

I like the change of Jack to going back. We have better options up forward, or options we need to give more exposure to. He is not the future in the midfield, or really in the mid field mix at the moment.

I think he could play the JMac organiser role in the back line supporting Rob. This may also be where his assets can really help. His attack on the ball both on the ground and in the air will give oppo forwards something to worry about.

My reservation is still his hurried kick forward from within a pack. Really dangerous in the oppositions forward half. Would want him to look to handball to the outside or back to a runner, or look for a shorter lateral kick most times. With time and space I think his 20-30 meter flat pass by foot could set up our backline rebound nicely.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have been wanting this for yonks......puts the fear of god back there for opposition forwards , plus the fact he's guilty of throwing the ball on his foot without looking up to see an option. ( well now at least he's facing in the correct direction now ) eliminating this fault he has.

I like it.

Noble wants Jack to command that area and keep the morale up when the ball does get down there quickly in a shift of momentum. I think it will also do him good for kicking and positioning thus improving his output. Being the bloke that spoils (JZ can spoil!) and crashes a pack to get the ball out of there will be something his defending teammates can utilise often.

This will test Jack, but I'm looking forward to it as much as he will be.

FB - Tarrant - McKay - Atley
HB - Ziebell - Corr - Mcdonald

It’s a pretty experienced back 6. My two biggest concerns with him playing back are:

1. His 1 on 1 ability (a relative unknown)
2. His ball use & creativity (can kick well, can also butcher)

Looking at that back 6, I’m less concerned about point 1 - 5/6 of those players are above average-elite 1 on 1, so Jack can get the worst forward.

His ball use is going to be the big one for me. We just cannot afford to butcher the ball in the back half anymore.

Going to be fascinating to see how this plays out, I expect that it will be trialled through preseason with the intention of him being able to play both Defence & Forward. If he can add another string, it will really help IMO.

It’s a pretty experienced back 6. My two biggest concerns with him playing back are:

Looking at that back 6, I’m less concerned about point 1 - 5/6 of those players are above average-elite 1 on 1, so Jack can get the worst forward.

His ball use is going to be the big one for me. We just cannot afford to butcher the ball in the back half anymore.

Going to be fascinating to see how this plays out, I expect that it will be trialled through preseason with the intention of him being able to play both Defence & Forward. If he can add another string, it will really help IMO.

My hunch is he'll play the spare in a 7 man defence.

I sincerely hope not.

I’m sick and tired of the opposition using their spare man to completely eviscerate our defensive structure.

I’m still recovering from Trent McKenzie’s GC efforts....

I sincerely hope not.

I’m sick and tired of the opposition using their spare man to completely eviscerate our defensive structure.

I’m still recovering from Trent McKenzie’s GC efforts....

If they're talking about holding a rigid defensive structure, then it's on the cards mate.

Don't mind the kicking ability but there's no real pace.
Didn't bring in guys like menadue and young not to play them, similar with perez and hayden.
Bunch of mid-late 30 yr olds who can't really break a pack and might break something when trying to cover the young early 20yr old forwards of the league.

Don't mind the kicking ability but there's no real pace.
Didn't bring in guys like menadue and young not to play them, similar with perez and hayden.
Bunch of mid-late 30 yr olds who can't really break a pack and might break something when trying to cover the young early 20yr old forwards of the league.

What part of "Brad Scott is no longer coach" are you struggling to understand?

the club invested heavily in the mid and forward line this off season.

Pretty sure they will want to play with the new toys!

JZ clearly good enough for the forward line s as bd even the midfield depending on the situation but if you want to develop some guys and a plan through their it makes sense to have more flexibility for the Capatain

Interesting year!

Well, Jack would be better overhead than most players his size and stronger too. Picking when to mark and when to punch would be an experience and confidence thing down back but I would expect some intercept marking from him.

Stoppages down back he would be Ok.

Pace and agility wise, a worry and will look bad chasing tail. And like Scott McMahon may get burned when he goes third man up and his opponent does not.

Good open field kick to move, switch play and bite off the corridor. Could take the odd kick out.

Based on last year, McKay and also Kyron telegraph and their disposal is not pinpoint.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back