Prediction Blokes in the gun in 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Hall, Campbell, Tyson and Will Walker id say are the longest odds to survive a cull next

Atley should go as a free agent

Ruckmen seem to be the most likely players of any position to shift clubs. If Xerri doesn't make it then it is highly likely there will be a guy somewhere in the league that is good enough to play senior footy but not getting a game because he is stuck behind an established first ruck.

I would rate Goldy a 75% chance of extending into 2023, and a 50% chance of going again in 2024. The emergence of an absolutely elite young midfield around him may be just the thing to keep the spring in his step.

I like your optimism and I hope you are right, but I wouldn't be betting money on it. I think for it is to happen we would have to be in finals contention a lot earlier than our optimistic goals of the club and for him to remain in relatively good form and relatively injury free.

After a certain point, if Xerri doesn't go his career will get stunted and he will either become a Preuss or worse, I don't think Goldy would have become the player he became unless we moved Hale and McIntosh out of his way, but Goldy earned his opportunity by dominating in the VFL. Xerri has to make his move or else we can forget about it and look to start over.

Goldy can't share the ruck work, we can't push him forward for half a game, we have been down that road and it doesn't work. It is going to be one of the more challenging calls the club will have to make over the next few years I think.

He was an absolute machine, one of my favourites from the last decade as well. Such a pity - obviously for health reasons - but I honestly think we saw maybe 70% of his ceiling. Hope he's doing okay.

Ya serious Tas? Not saying it will definitely happen but based on last year's form and his injury history he could quite easily go on Harvey style for several more years if he's willing to take short extensions. I have no idea why we'd turf him unless his replacement is smashing it - which doesn't look likely at the moment. Even with all the focus on list refresh there's no reason whatsoever to throw out a ruckman in the top handful in the league unless he's cooked.

Yep, incredibly durable for whats gotta be the most physically demanding position on the ground.

I like your optimism and I hope you are right, but I wouldn't be betting money on it. I think for it is to happen we would have to be in finals contention a lot earlier than our optimistic goals of the club and for him to remain in relatively good form and relatively injury free.

After a certain point, if Xerri doesn't go his career will get stunted and he will either become a Preuss or worse, I don't think Goldy would have become the player he became unless we moved Hale and McIntosh out of his way, but Goldy earned his opportunity by dominating in the VFL. Xerri has to make his move or else we can forget about it and look to start over.

Goldy can't share the ruck work, we can't push him forward for half a game, we have been down that road and it doesn't work. It is going to be one of the more challenging calls the club will have to make over the next few years I think.

Keen to see Xerri get game time but if I remember correctly Goldy also spent significant time in the twos behind McIntosh, and maybe a bit of Hale also. It worked out ok.

Preuss might surprise in GWS colours, who knows. He probably does fine in the centre bounce and doesn’t make enough contests after that though.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Atley is 100% gone unless he improves.

Brady wanted him delisted but like Tyson and co his contract saved him as we had enough (better players) to cut out of contract.

Atley is 100% gone unless he improves.

Brady wanted him delisted but like Tyson and co his contract saved him as we had enough (better players) to cut out of contract.
What makes you think that? I’m sure a few players are discussed but I doubt anyone is going into the season with their papers stamped.

I like Atley, I feel like a bit of a lone hand here.

How anyone could start a thread like this abs not have Atley at number 1 shows their level of knowledge and/or bias to a player

There's a flip side to that coin.

Perhaps you have a very limited understanding of the sport?

I'm not claiming it as fact, but you should at least entertain the idea.

There's a flip six to that coin.

Perhaps you have a very limited understanding of the sport?

I'm not claiming it as fact, but you should at least entertain the idea.

you are right, I know nothing, Atley is a gun who we shouldn’t even consider looking at moving on and should be signed immediatel

that’s the prevailing view by many clearly

I’m in the wrong and have no idea what I’m talking about

Oh also could you list all his achievements for me, as I have no idea and he has played so many games and been on the list so long I assume it’s multiple top 5 b and f finishes, all Australian squad selections, etc etc

Nothing too crazy just awards you’d expect from a guy who has had little to no injuries over a 200 game ten year career who you wouldn’t even contemplate moving on

cheers

you are right, I know nothing, Atley is a gun who we shouldn’t even consider looking at moving on and should be signed immediatel

Do you have any self awareness about how you flip flop between extremes?

Are you capable of reasoned, balanced analysis?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m getting this framed. It’s beautiful.

You should, rather than working out your frustration on a role player who you don't understand.

What makes you think that? I’m sure a few players are discussed but I doubt anyone is going into the season with their papers stamped.

I like Atley, I feel like a bit of a lone hand here.

I don't think it mate.

I know it.

Macmillan was a better player than Atley.

That would be some Carlton Whitnall cold sh*t to get rid of a player the year he is captain, but I don't disagree. If he doesn't get his sh*t together this year, it could be curtains.

Well, he is approaching 30, if he can't make the defensive position work and the midfield and forward roles are no longer an option you would think he would approach the club before the club approaches him about retiring and life after football as an AFL player.

He is a great guy and has been loyal and I really hope this move works out. I am still of the belief that the forward line was his best option and I felt if he could tidy up his shooting at goal from dead in front, he would still be a significant asset for the club, especially in light of Brown's departure. Without us bombing it to Brown almost every inside 50 I still think Ziebell could kick 30-40 goals, because he has great hands, reads the play well and can get separation on his defender. Similar to Martin and other mid/fwds, they are difficult to match up, usually too mobile for a key defender and they are too strong in the air for a smaller defender.

The main danger for Ziebell, if the defensive thing doesn't work early, is if the forward line starts to click without him there with whatever lineup we go with, if the six forwards we go with start to look good and the defensive move doesn't work out then that is the real danger for him personally.

Ats has played literally every game he has been available for in the last 9 years. I find him underwhelming, but to say he's on death's door is a wild over statement.

So did Macmillan. He was delisted and a better player.

The "9 years" is simply an indictment on our last decade and poor standards, not a reflection of ability or output.

Last edited:
Ats has played literally every game he has been available for in the last 9 years. I find him underwhelming, but to say he's on death's door is a wild over statement.

JMac had barely missed a game for 7 or 8 years and that didn't save him. Our football department has shown a willingness to be ruthless after the 2020 season and I don't think that will be a one-off. Mature age players that aren't materially better than a 19 to 21-year-old alternative will come under significant pressure. Atley is definitely one in that bracket.

A lot will depend on how aggressively they want to turn the list over this year after such a big churn last year. My opinion is that it will still be a fair bit more than the 3 player minimum.

Atley, Tyson, Hall, Turner, Garner, and Will Walker probably the group under the most pressure as there are now plenty of numbers for that utility mid/flanker grouping. Personally, I hope Will Walker gets a good run with his body and smashes it this year as I think he has some real upside.

I tend to agree with Snake's view on a guy like Campbell. He fills a very specific role for us, and unless Xerri improves over 2021 to the point he could be a genuine replacement for Goldy, or we bring in another mature ruckman, he probably gets another 12 months.

Josh Walker seems to be evolving into a similar position. He may not be a first-choice key position player but is high-quality cover for a number of roles back and forward. If he could be a genuine option to pinch-hit in the ruck he increases his value further.

BTW I'm sure Ats is a top fella, always fit and professional, great clubman etc.

I simply don't think I've watched a dumber footballer in our colours since Sam Powers and previously Shane Claytons.

He is infuriating to watch.

BTW I'm sure Ats is a top fella, always fit and professional, great clubman etc.

I simply don't think I've watched a dumber footballer in our colours since Sam Powers and previously Shane Claytons.

He is infuriating to watch.
His AFL debut was pretty good though.
Not sure what your judging him on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back