Apple Isle Showdown: Tas Govt threatens to end Hawks, North deals if no plan for 19th side

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both of these ideas are objectively worse than a 19 team competition.
Why? The only other option with 19 teams is to play each other once. Considering that the current arrangement where big crowd pulling teams play each other twice and other teams play each other once, and considering the messy arrangement of byes and "Big Event" rounds set in stone to preferred clubs (Anzac Day, Queens Birthday etc.) is hardly what anybody could define as competition. It's not a competition now when certain Victorian teams seemingly pick up the lion-share of Sunday twillight games. So your point about how the so-called "competition" in its present construct could possibly get worse is?

Don't forget that the ovals are only available between late March to Late September. More to the point, the clubs and coaches bemoan that the season is already too long now as Saint Kilda's pre-season injury list now will testify.

You can piss and moan and say that my solution "is objectively worse", but any clown can piss and moan. What's your alternative to fix what is already a dispropotionately stacked and uneven fixture? I even told you why the 18 team fixture is completely broken. At least I offered two solutions, where's yours.

Maybe 10 years ago I would have agreed with you but things have changed quite a bit down here in that time the property market has gone through the roof down we have had the People are actually moving away from big cities to regional areas but don’t let the truth get in the way for you
It's probably though an older demographic moving. When i was 21 the idea of moving to Tas would probably be something I'd be horrified.
Now older Tas appeals far far more than living in Melb or God forbid, Sydney

Then why not some communication over the 12 months since it was lodged? Pass it on to that Independent party he mentions start a review it. Update things if need be.

Just a small courtesy, like acknowledge it & ring, say sometime late LAST YEAR, & say we need time to readjust our bearings as the next year or so may still have challenges.

But no, CBF showing a little respect.

Even so, another 12 months to look at it & START to do some review of their own is ludicrous.
Yeh the AFL could have handled the relationship a lot better I agree. Its breaking down quite a bit.

But still, the actual decision to wait and see what 2021 brings for Australia and the AFL is not a bad decision.

Yeh the AFL could have handled the relationship a lot better I agree. Its breaking down quite a bit.

But still, the actual decision to wait and see what 2021 brings for Australia and the AFL is not a bad decision.

Sometimes the process is more important. Gil has looked rude & indecisive.

Any nufty could have waited until the last minute & then said oh, well have a look & reply in 12 months.

As said, some professional courtesy to a State premier would have cost nothing. Now everyone in every newspaper is talking about it. In a negative light. It reflects badly on the AFL.

Now Jeff Kennett is trying to big note himself. Make himself look tough & important to Hawks members.

Days after mumbling about Hawthorn moving to Tasmania. Idiot.

So now he demands an answer from Tasmania about 2022 by July!!

G&GF Jeff you stupid old has been flogger.

Why? The only other option with 19 teams is to play each other once. Considering that the current arrangement where big crowd pulling teams play each other twice and other teams play each other once, and considering the messy arrangement of byes and "Big Event" rounds set in stone to preferred clubs (Anzac Day, Queens Birthday etc.) is hardly what anybody could define as competition. It's not a competition now when certain Victorian teams seemingly pick up the lion-share of Sunday twillight games. So your point about how the so-called "competition" in its present construct could possibly get worse is?

Don't forget that the ovals are only available between late March to Late September. More to the point, the clubs and coaches bemoan that the season is already too long now as Saint Kilda's pre-season injury list now will testify.

You can piss and moan and say that my solution "is objectively worse", but any clown can piss and moan. What's your alternative to fix what is already a dispropotionately stacked and uneven fixture? I even told you why the 18 team fixture is completely broken. At least I offered two solutions, where's yours.

Is that why we have a 17 round competition now?

Any comment about the number of Vic posters who seem to want to export North Melbourne or St Kilda out of Victoria?

Aspects of the 'Chip on shoulder' may come as a frustrated response to the dismissive, arrogant behavior, obfuscation & downright lies that come out of AFL HQ.

Maybe looking at a place like Perth with about 1.1mil per team compared with some 500k in Melbourne seems 'unbalanced' thus issues of equity can be easily seen.

The ignorant comments about weather, parochialism, economy, population which some seem not to want to view sensibly.

Et al.

Anyway, play on.

The number of vic posters? Which is irrelevant anyway seem to number in the few. Wouldn't you agree?

The chip on the shoulder, regardless is about the inequity of the comp for current non vic clubs, not about Gutwein sending an ultimatum to HQ, y'know the thread at hand. Was never debating the 'inequities', or an imbalance of fans per club - maybe your comment should be directed at those posters, not me.

Hopefully this forces a position of clarity from HQ

Anyway play on.

Na that doesn't matter to the AFL. They're happy to throw millions at these teams every year regardless.

Well yes that is obvious, HQ trying to find a market in foreign territory - that's the reasoning.

Tas is different, will have an immediate an likely sustainable fan base.

Time to shut or put up HQ, or lose your Tas market.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any nufty could have waited until the last minute & then said oh, well have a look & reply in 12 months.

As said, some professional courtesy to a State premier would have cost nothing. Now everyone in every newspaper is talking about it. In a negative light. It reflects badly on the AFL.

Now Jeff Kennett is trying to big note himself. Make himself look tough & important to Hawks members.

Peter Gutwein should tell that old fool you will get your answer when we get ours

Here's a link for you.
"Tasmania's population has grown at a rate faster than France, but the growth is still relatively low compared to other states"

Am i reading that wrong or does that say that Tasmania is growing at a slower rate than everywhere else in Australia... in which case it is kinda fair to say that Tasmania is the least popular place in Australia..?
Not sure "Focus your career away from distractions!" is the best selling point for a mid-20's athlete getting paid millions to play a sport the rest of the world doesn't give a s**t about.

"We don't have a lot of interesting stuff... so you can spend more time concentrating on kicking a ball!"

Last edited:
The number of vic posters? Which is irrelevant anyway seem to number in the few. Wouldn't you agree?

The chip on the shoulder, regardless is about the inequity of the comp for current non vic clubs, not about Gutwein sending an ultimatum to HQ, y'know the thread at hand. Was never debating the 'inequities', or an imbalance of fans per club - maybe your comment should be directed at those posters, not me.

Hopefully this forces a position of clarity from HQ

Anyway play on.

It is supporters of other clubs on here & other threads who've often 'offered up' opposition teams to be 'relocated. Why is that irrelevant to the conversation.

It was a comment on whats happened, not any sort of personal retort to you.

The 'ultimatum' as you put it, was because of the deathly silence for 12 months after the in depth application was sent.

Clearly without kicking Gil in the proverbial head, you get no response. A response was expected some time this century so the Premier 'encouraged' Gil to get his staff to look at his emails & reply.

In all the 'positions' I've seen from HQ, Clarity has NEVER been their strong suit. Lies & waffle is about all we've ever got.

Anyway, Don't you think we deserve an answer. ??

What we got was an episode of 'yes Prime Minister'.

ie, PM says, 'We'll start an enquiry'!

Chief Yes Man says, 'What a good idea PM, that'll put them off for a while, Maybe they'll get bored & go away PM'.

PM, 'Yes I hope so, I've got lunch after 18 holes at the Golf Club tomorrow'

CYM, 'Yes PM, You're just so busy'. ;)

It is supporters of other clubs on here & other threads who've often 'offered up' opposition teams to be 'relocated. Why is that irrelevant to the conversation.

It's not relevant because HQ has publicly stated they'll bend over backwards to ensure the survival of the current 18 clubs, hence the line of credit against marvel. If to read the room, it's hardly offering up clubs for relocation to support a Tas team it's offering clubs other than their own because the main motive is not a Tas team, it's small minded hatred of vic. Have a look at all other threads about GF, inequity, etc. It's the usual posters with an axe to grind against all things vic. If one can't see that then it is naive or willfully ignorant - not hard to see.

The 'ultimatum' as you put it, was because of the deathly silence for 12 months after the in depth application was sent.

Clearly without kicking Gil in the proverbial head, you get no response. A response was expected some time this century so the Premier 'encouraged' Gil to get his staff to look at his emails & reply.

In all the 'positions' I've seen from HQ, Clarity has NEVER been their strong suit. Lies & waffle is about all we've ever got.

Agreed.

Anyway, Don't you think we deserve an answer. ??

Yes, 5 years ago!

Ed Cowan finished his career and currently resides in NSW. Actions speak louder than words.

Seriously.....'finished his career' where he played for Tasmania? Do all players who played for Geelong, Melb, even Richmond still live there - stupid comment.

Think we need to take back your CEO with that sort of stupidity.

Ed Cowan finished his career and currently resides in NSW. Actions speak louder than words.

Back home with his partner & young child & the kids grandparents. It happens after they retire. Family reasons.

Footballers too do this all the time.

Swans super star Paul Kelly ended up back home in Western NSW near Wagga Wagga, after years in Sydney.

Do all players who move to Melbourne stay there forever?

I really don't see the relevance.

Rather than personal attacks, what part of my post is deluded? How much tourism does Tasmania get compared to other states? How many young people are moving there to live? Please tell me something based on actual facts instead of moronic personal anecdotes.
and played the main prime of his career in Tasmania where he was picked to play test cricket from

Seriously.....'finished his career' where he played for Tasmania? Do all players who played for Geelong, Melb, even Richmond still live there - stupid comment.

Think we need to take back your CEO with that sort of stupidity.
He played the last 4 years of his career in Sydney for the Sixers and NSW. As romantic as his tweet sounds, his career progressions speaks far more about the challenges a Tasmanian AFL side would face.
Back home with his partner & young child & the kids grandparents. It happens after they retire. Family reasons.

Footballers too do this all the time.

Swans super star Paul Kelly ended up back home in Western NSW near Wagga Wagga, after years in Sydney.

Do all players who move to Melbourne stay there forever?

I really don't see the relevance.
Really?

Considering Tasmania doesn't produce close to enough Footballing talent for an AFL team, the conversation around players leaving to go home to family is entirely relevant.

Hawthorn wants to play in Tasmania.

If the TAS Govt cant confirm by the middle of the year about what will happen, Hawthorn will have to start looking elsewhere for sponsors and plan to play all home games at the MCG.

Which of the above is wrong/unreasonable?

Should we not be making alternate plans in case the TAS Govt does decide to walk away?

He played the last 4 years of his career in Sydney for the Sixers and NSW. As romantic as his tweet sounds, his career progressions speaks far more about the challenges a Tasmanian AFL side would face.

Really?

Considering Tasmania doesn't produce close to enough Footballing talent for an AFL team, the conversation around players leaving to go home to family is entirely relevant.

Yes really, Ed Cowan played for Tasmania from 2009 to 2015. Six years, his last test was in 2013. He returned to NSW after his prime. He was a great player for Tasmania who I enjoyed watching, solid. Nothing wrong with going back to NSW after he was in his prime.He had the opportunity here to develop his game to become an international player. Yep his career progress speaks for what would happen for players here - develop t their full potential.

Hawthorn wants to play in Tasmania.

If the TAS Govt cant confirm by the middle of the year about what will happen, Hawthorn will have to start looking elsewhere for sponsors and plan to play all home games at the MCG.

Which of the above is wrong/unreasonable?

Should we not be making alternate plans in case the TAS Govt does decide to walk away?

Which Jeff alternative are you looking at? Jeff's Monday move to Tasmania, or the leaving Tassie if no decision by July 2021?

I think Jeff needs to do what he thinks best, whichever it is.

The AFL made the time line last week after having the application for 12 months. If Jeff feels wedged, then he can ring Gil for an answer.

Jeff's an idiot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back