XBX Xbox Series X/S - Articles, accessories and everything else

Remove this Banner Ad

I haven't had any issues with the disk drive, what's the problem with it? I've only got one disk game but the kids watch DVDs on it and haven't complained. Except for the one time my wife rang me cursing about always having new tech that she doesn't know how to use and it wasn't working... but the DVD was in upside down 🙃

I haven't had any issues with the disk drive, what's the problem with it? I've only got one disk game but the kids watch DVDs on it and haven't complained. Except for the one time my wife rang me cursing about always having new tech that she doesn't know how to use and it wasn't working... but the DVD was in upside down 🙃

Basically it doesn't recognise disks. When I first got it, it did, as I installed and ran Forza Horizon 3 on it. Then the next day i tried and it didn't recognise it, or the other 2 game disks I owned. I also tried a DVD and no luck there. I tried inserting disks both ways up (apparently it doesn't matter... there is no "upside down"), and also tried rotating the orientation of the console, since people said this worked.

I called Microsoft support and they got me to do a reset of the console (like a factory reset, albeit keeping the games) and voilà... it worked!

... temporarily

So basically whenever I do a factory reset the disk drive works again but then it goes away. So right now if I go to play Forza Horizon 3 with the disk inserted, it'll say insert disk. If I try to insert a DVD it just won't do anything. You hear some internal sounds but yeah.

Given I am moving to just using diskless games now since it's much easier (and I discovered cdkeys.com....) I am not devastated, but it is certainly annoying. Target said they could refund it but given it's out of stock (and getting stock is hard as *) I'd rather avoid that. Microsoft said they'd fix or replace it but it'd take 2 weeks.

So I think I'll just keep using it as is, maybe try for some other solutions, but otherwise I'll just eventually send it off to Microsoft, perhaps when it is possible to travel on vacation again...

EDIT: I'll add that apparently this is a fairly common issue. Glad you got lucky with it though!

Basically it doesn't recognise disks. When I first got it, it did, as I installed and ran Forza Horizon 3 on it. Then the next day i tried and it didn't recognise it, or the other 2 game disks I owned. I also tried a DVD and no luck there. I tried inserting disks both ways up (apparently it doesn't matter... there is no "upside down"), and also tried rotating the orientation of the console, since people said this worked.

I called Microsoft support and they got me to do a reset of the console (like a factory reset, albeit keeping the games) and voilà... it worked!

... temporarily

So basically whenever I do a factory reset the disk drive works again but then it goes away. So right now if I go to play Forza Horizon 3 with the disk inserted, it'll say insert disk. If I try to insert a DVD it just won't do anything. You hear some internal sounds but yeah.

Given I am moving to just using diskless games now since it's much easier (and I discovered cdkeys.com....) I am not devastated, but it is certainly annoying. Target said they could refund it but given it's out of stock (and getting stock is hard as fu**) I'd rather avoid that. Microsoft said they'd fix or replace it but it'd take 2 weeks.

So I think I'll just keep using it as is, maybe try for some other solutions, but otherwise I'll just eventually send it off to Microsoft, perhaps when it is possible to travel on vacation again...

EDIT: I'll add that apparently this is a fairly common issue. Glad you got lucky with it though!

Maybe I didn't get so lucky if the Mrs was having problems with it being upside down?

Ah well.. as you said with mostly online stuff now, I'll wait and see if it keeps happening down the line.

That’s a bit worrying. I haven’t used my disc drive yet...

I think it's a 2 year manufacturer's warranty? Couldn't be worth trying it out at least before that expires.

Controller also has a sticky trigger already... a bit annoying too. Apparently a common issue as well, particularly with the RT. Noticed it playing FIFA and holding down sprint.

Called up Microsoft and they are sending out a replacement controller no questions asked. Don't even have to return the existing one.

I mean I'm still loving the console overall but it is a bit annoying having these glaring manufacturing issues. I'll be using my Xbox One controller (which is basically the same) until the replacement arrives.

Called up Microsoft and they are sending out a replacement controller no questions asked. Don't even have to return the existing one.
Interesting. Looks like I'll be getting a new controller then.

Might throw a disk in mine to check it out, I have GTA 5 for xbox 360. Do I get a free upgrade for that to the most recent update

I don't believe so. I think you'd need to buy GTA Remastered or Ultimate or whatever it's called these days. Can't imagine it'd cost much if you wanted to play it though. There is also meant to be a next gen version of it (so a SECOND remake) coming soon.

Played a fair bit of NBA and Fifa now both so impressive graphically. Downloaded Dirt 5 but any other recommendations to have a crack at? Anyone played Red Dead 2 on the new system?

Played a fair bit of NBA and Fifa now both so impressive graphically. Downloaded Dirt 5 but any other recommendations to have a crack at? Anyone played Red Dead 2 on the new system?

I actually just started RDR 2 and yeah looks wonderful. Forza Horizon 4 is great for showing off the graphics too. I also was really enjoying playing Battlefield 1. Always loved that, World War 1 combat, and it looks incredible on the new system. s**t flying everywhere!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sea of Thieves, Forza Horizon 4, Ori and the Will of the Whisps. All on Gamepass. The new Assassins Creed is pretty as well.
Worth noting that Will of the Wisps runs at either 4k 120 or 6k 60 supersampled. Big difference between will of the wisps and blind forrest.

I called up Microsoft and told them that melbournemartin said they're giving out xbox controllers. I now have a new controller on the way.

I called up Microsoft and told them that melbournemartin said they're giving out xbox controllers. I now have a new controller on the way.

Wait it was that easy? Christ I gotta call them tomorrow then.

Hey fellas, my RT is sticking quite a bit, I've got a buddy who has the same problem and said to call you guys up for a new one... its that easy?

How come I feel that my Green Card application just got a whole lot harder? :tearsofjoy:

Seriously though, I called up and said the trigger was sticking (it truly is) and they said "as a one time courtesy we will send out a replacement controller and you can decide to keep or throw out the existing one".

I guess they have so many controllers and so few consoles that they don't care to give away controllers with ease given they will just sit in a warehouse otherwise. I'm not sure if Microsoft Australia would be the same, but worth checking.

Ended up downloading Red Dead 2. Played a bit of Dirt 5 but found it a bit boring guess you either love racing games or get bored easy.

Get stuck into tonight if get time but looking forward to it.

How come I feel that my Green Card application just got a whole lot harder? :tearsofjoy:

Seriously though, I called up and said the trigger was sticking (it truly is) and they said "as a one time courtesy we will send out a replacement controller and you can decide to keep or throw out the existing one".

I guess they have so many controllers and so few consoles that they don't care to give away controllers with ease given they will just sit in a warehouse otherwise. I'm not sure if Microsoft Australia would be the same, but worth checking.
Did you purchase the Xbox from Microsoft directly?

The S|X controllers have had issues since launch, the sticking triggers as you mentioned (RT did it on my firat one, which I swapped), I returned the next controller because B and Y would stick.

The controller losing sync with the console will supposedly be fixed in a future firmware update.

I don't have a new console but wanted to update controllers for my original XBO and pc gaming.

Exact same with Dirt. I love racing games but after a few races of Dirt I was bored shitless.

I loved Dirt 1 & 2

Got Dirt 3 on release, after playing it..... my enthusiasm for the series dropped. I tried getting into Dirt 4 and wasn't impressed (luckily it was free). I assume 5 will have the same outcome for me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back