Autopsy Round 2, 2021 v Adelaide Crows

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tale of two halves really.

Young guns like McCartin, Dawson, Gulden, Campbell, McDonald, McInerney and Florent were instrumental in setting up the unassailable lead in the first half.

Second half was just drab really. Making opportunities out of nothing, relying on Adelaide failing to do much damage on the scoreboard, etc.

But honestly if you had said pre-season that "Swans will play only one good half of footy, win by 33 points, kick a score of 120+ points, and it would be led by a bunch of under 23s" I would've laughed you out of the building. So cannot complain at all.

Worried about next week though. We really missed Rowbottom's smarts and his deft touch on the inside. Not to mention we lacked a speedy mid who could shut down an opposition clearance with a tackle. If we fail to bring these things next week, against what I rate as the best midfield in the comp, I think we will be in trouble.

But what a ******* start to the year! Now I've got some business to attend to...
All the best for tonight :ring:
:hearteyes: :hearteyes: :hearteyes: :hearteyes: :hearteyes: :hearteyes: :hearteyes: :hearteyes: :hearteyes: :hearteyes:

Kennedy and Rampe are a concern. Kennedy is still getting plenty of the ball, but he is so slow, gets caught much more easily than he used to and he isn't as good at breaking the tackle like he used to be. His kicking, well the less said about that the better. Still though, he is a battering ram and does have his uses, but in an ideal world we shouldn't need him anymore.
I can see the writing on the wall for Kennedy but I think Rampe's got a lot of football left in him. He's very athletic and a shrewd defender. We keep playing him as an undersized defender and there's going to be days that it comes back to bite us.

The ball is coming in much quicker and the forward line is going to be more open so the lead up power forward is back in vogue.

Urgh, woeful last quarter. Soured the whole day.

Besides that, really enjoyed Warner's game, missed Rowbottom in a big way. Will be interesting to see what happens next week. Good time to get a reality check imo.

Also we need to fix our first 5 minutes. We got completely overran by both Brisbane and Adelaide in the first 5 minutes of each match. We were able to pull it back and it didn't end up mattering in both games but if we give up 2 or 3 easy goals against Richmond in the first 5 minutes next week then we are in a lot of trouble.

Rampe’s just underdone. He was coming off in the third quarter and looked absolutely rooted even then. He’ll come good. Don’t panic.

in better news, the kids have got great attitude. All of them have a crack which I think is great.

we have up a bunch of htb goals and I reckon they were all there. Need to put some work into the back line this week. They’ll come good. Let McCartin get some consistency and he’ll be a top defender for years.

the midfield got pantsed but rowy will be an improvement next week.

no injuries is a plus.

my head says no against the tiges but getting em early in the season we might just derail them before they start flying.

for now enjoy the win.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good win but flattered by Crows poor kicking. 100 points by 3,/4 time fantastic, forward line for the first time on a long while looking a real strength.

Lot of work to do in the middle and down back. Tigers are going to feast.

Kennedy was clanger city today, but still our most prolific ball winner in the middle. He’s still valuable, but too old to be #1, and today aside from Parker he had no support.

missing rowbottom, and Mills and Florent were ordinary. Agree with Punts that Hewett should’ve been moved back in.
The problem with Joey being our most prolific ball winner is that it increases our chances of giving the ball back based on his last two games & most of season 2020's games. He is just not suited to the game style we have implemented. It was the new kids that took the Crows apart in the second Q.
Nearly every senior player had many moments that were those of a lower team on the ladder. Not saying we belong up where we are right now but if we are to maintain & utilise our scoring power, we will need the senior blokes to keep the defensive structures when we haven't got the ball.
It's the young ones driving this team now.

Nice to have a new snazzy suit, but a comfortable quality pair of shoes is still an essential.

Translation;
great to see the young guns performing, but JPK & Rampe are still easily best 22.

JPK most disposals & clearances for us today. Not at his best, but that big body, experience helps those around him.
Rampe out of sorts, but this is a guy who finished 4th in her B&F last year although he missed 6 games and played under duress in others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back