Ryan Gardner - I WAS WRONG

Remove this Banner Ad

Malthouse and Lloyd are just expressing what 80% of the people here who posted an opinion on Gardner said.

Let's hope all of them will be proved wrong in the course of the next season or two.
He also said today Bailey Dale is gonna be a star! [yes he does know BD isnt Bazz :)]

Was absolutely shitful and deserved the reception he got last year.

But has improved greatly looking more confident every week. Has shown now the ability to leave his man at the right time and spoil. Saved one certain goal by coming off his man on friday the commentators called it as Keith but it was Gardner.

Hopefully can be consistent throughout the year and hold the post as his athleticism, size and endurance clearly stack up for the level.

Is going to be one on one with either darling , Oskar Allen or Vardy next week. Going to be a real test to see if he’s actually improved or if round 1 was an anomaly. I’m not sold yet, but a good start.

Is going to be one on one with either darling , Oskar Allen or Vardy next week. Going to be a real test to see if he’s actually improved or if round 1 was an anomaly. I’m not sold yet, but a good start.
I don't get to see many games live and the TV mostly just shows where the ball is so it's hard to know ... but I thought our style was not to play one-on-one?

Being able to stay on for 100% ToG in an age of limited rotations is a pretty valuable trait in itself.
According to the tracker, his 14.6km for the Dogs was second only to Pat Lipinski 14.8km, which is fair effort. Appears to have a tank, which, if we're not playing a one on one defensive set up, will have its advantages.

We have four options:-

Naughton
Cordy
Young
Ryan ‘punchy ‘Gardiner

A.) If Naughton really comes close to winning the Coleman, fine. If not Bev has to suck on a lemon & throw him back to his natural position. If he kicks 30 and/or keeps getting injured - experiment over .

B.) Cordy has too many brain fades & ends up defending space while the ball & his man are United 5m away. I admire his scrapping qualities and weird but effective kicking.

C.) Young is all at sea. I was there for his debut where a poor Carlton team gave him the freedom of the MCG & Dale Morris told him what to do all arvo. Since then he’s stagnated. He’s a strong delisting candidate, barring a string of good VFL games.

D.)So we’re left with Gardiner. Let’s concentrate on what he can do, rather than his failings.

Last edited:
According to the tracker, his 14.6km for the Dogs was second only to Pat Lipinski 14.8km, which is fair effort. Appears to have a tank, which, if we're not playing a one on one defensive set up, will have its advantages.

Doesn't surprise me. Obviously a very good athlete, just needs confidence which should come with more game time and experience. I can see what Bevo is working at with him.

Add that to his 100% TOG and he becomes valuable if this allows our playmakers to rest at times.
Led us in one percenters. As an aside, we chased Dougal Howard so hard a couple of years ago because he led the comp in 1%ers (2018 or 2019) so it's something we rate.

Was he playing on Cox the whole time?
Nope, Bailey Williams was on him for much of the night surprisingly. The thinking seemed to be he can exploit the match-up up the ground and when deep he can engage Cox physically and Keath came across to be the third man up etc. Worked well considering Cox only got two goals for the game and one of them was a joe the goose early in the game.

How many did Gardy actually have kicked on him yesterday? Someone said 6 :oops: I find it hard to keep track of that.

Thought he did ok ish, lost a few one on ones but big job on those guys. Some good work in general play.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not a chance he had 6 kicked on him. Kennedy kicked most, if not all of his on Williams. Darling was on Keath. Allen was mostly on Gardner. Ryan was mostly on Duryea. Jones was mostly on Daniel. Those match ups were pretty consistent over the whole game.
Obviously with a zone the match ups roll a bit, but Gardner wasn't out of position very often. He had Ryan step around him once which is an unenviable position for anyone to be in, and got beaten in the air a couple of times, but for the most part I thought he pushed up the ground well to have an influence on contests and kill the ball. Which is what our entire defence does as an obvious directive. So he's doing what he's being told to do.
9 1%ers as well. Only 1 clanger. He had a good game.

He gets higher than any other defender when it comes time to spoil the high ball which is useful.

Interesting to see he was generally the deepest defender whenever we set up yesterday, that's a fair amount of faith to show in a guy with a handful of games to his name. Ideally Keath gets a chance to intercept more but I'm not sure he gets released from a more lockdown role for some time.

Gardner is probably a victim of circumstances on this board.

Although inexperienced, he has been given a massive responsibility in defence which means any misstep (that's a parliamentary euphemism for a stuff-up) or any bad games (the one against Hipwood comes to mind) have significant consequences and bring the wrath of BF down on his head.

It's not his fault that our list has nobody better for the role or that Bevo has confidence in him and is prepared to wear a bit of pain at times while he learns his craft. FFS, the bloke has only played 14 games and at least a couple of those were as a key forward.

I'd still rather a Darcy Moore or a Harris Andrews in his place but we don't have that luxury so I'm prepared to support him all the way while the MC have faith in him.

FWIW over 14 games he's got the highest average for 1%ers per game in the history of the club.

View attachment 1088959
That's a heady list! Bullgods Morris, Roughy, Hammers and Roberts, the legendary Marcus Adams and Talia, Lewy Young the next big thing, Marko top 10 in our B&F in his first year and fellow #37 Cam White, three time three time Premiership player Lakey, McDougal32 ........ brill collection!

West Coast forward line has killed us for years. Even when we had Lake/Morris at full flight.

I watched Gardner live and I wasn't given the impression he gave up his spot in the team. Very happy with his progress

Remove this Banner Ad

Back