has anyone else lost interest in this upcoming season?

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm *in pumped!

My main concerns are a coaching rift, but overridden by my excitement to see the coaching changes.

Jones and JOD as my only KPDs I'm happy with is my other main concern. But hopefully Buss and Croft to add. And maybe English dropping back.

But otherwise so much to be excited about. Bont is soooo due his Brownlow. Sanders looks incredible. Libba is irrepressible. Our forward line is stacked! Ruck is actually good. Half back line is incredible. Our numer 1 KPD (Jones) is elite. Our depth is now mostly promising kids. Harmes and Coffield big free upgrades. Looks like genuine coaching and tactics changes.

I felt like this for a while knowing what I know, but the club has done enough to convince me to renew my membership (*in expensive) and start going to pre-season functions.

Lets go.
I reckon missing finals has been a breath of fresh air we needed

No matter how much the club disappoints me (and the end to last season was dreadfully disappointing) I always look forward to Round One.

The most enjoyable seasons in my nearly 40th years supporting the club - other than 2016 - have been 1997 and 2015, two years where we had disastrous seasons the year before, weren’t expected to be any good and surprised everyone (obviously the end of 1997 was not enjoyable!)

I felt very disappointed and disillusioned with how we finished 2023, but I always hold out hope we’ll have a year like 1997 or 2015 - and with an ending like 2016.

Not convinced we will this year, but it’s certainly possible.

Please, please prove me right, Dogs.

I definitely don't have the same level of anticipation this year as I've had in previous years, although I am interested/excited to see our younger group of players and how they fare (particularly Sanders and JUH). I suppose the pessimsim is that I can't shake the feeling that we'll end up a middle of the road team again due to poor team selection, gameplan and in-game coaching - miss finals/sneak in but get put out early and then watch yet another inferior player take a Brownlow away from Bont.

On footy in general, I was going to watch the second half of the preseason game tonight but saw that Richmond were 2.10 at half time and I hate watching the ball being butchered in front of goal. Hopefully the games over the next few nights are better.

This is kind of morbid, but for me there's so much riding on this season that it's impossible for me not to be invested/excited.

Either we go well, which is exciting, or we go poorly, which means we're almost certainly looking at a new coach/system.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not rooting for Bev to be sacked at all. But the refresh is always a fun/exciting time as a fan, and if we have another s**t year, I think that's something we'll all be ready for.

I'm just hoping we're a bit more interesting to watch. I can deal with losing, but the last few years we have been so boring to watch. Watching us bash our heads against the wall on offence then give up 6 goals in 10 minutes is not fun.

This is kind of morbid, but for me there's so much riding on this season that it's impossible for me not to be invested/excited.

Either we go well, which is exciting, or we go poorly, which means we're almost certainly looking at a new coach/system.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not rooting for Bev to be sacked at all. But the refresh is always a fun/exciting time as a fan, and if we have another s**t year, I think that's something we'll all be ready for.

I'm just hoping we're a bit more interesting to watch. I can deal with losing, but the last few years we have been so boring to watch. Watching us bash our heads against the wall on offence then give up 6 goals in 10 minutes is not fun.

Where would having a middling year that entails a 12-11 record but qualifying for finals in 8th where we lose a close elimination final interstate fit in the good/poor binary? That is the purgatory I’m dreading.

Where would having a middling year that entails a 12-11 record but qualifying for finals in 8th where we lose a close elimination final interstate fit in the good/poor binary? That is the purgatory I’m dreading.
Yeah, I did consider mentioning that this is my idea of hell as well.

My suspicion is, though, that this scenario will also end one of two ways. I think if our young guys (e.g., Sanders, JOD, Clarke, Buss, JUH, Darcy, Gallagher, Freijah etc) can show some real growth/ability, that will be enough for me. If they don't, I don't see any way Bev survives a mediocre season.

Yeah, I did consider mentioning that this is my idea of hell as well.

My suspicion is, though, that this scenario will also end one of two ways. I think if our young guys (e.g., Sanders, JOD, Clarke, Buss, JUH, Darcy, Gallagher, Freijah etc) can show some real growth/ability, that will be enough for me. If they don't, I don't see any way Bev survives a mediocre season.

Yeah a lot hinges on seeing “green shoots” form the younger players for me personally as well. Bev needs a clear trend-line up for the team, even if it doesn’t translate to a 14-15 win season this year.

Yeah a lot hinges on seeing “green shoots” form the younger players for me personally as well. Bev needs a clear trend-line up for the team, even if it doesn’t translate to a 14-15 win season this year.
A trend line up doesn’t cut it for mine, especially when we can put absolutely no stock in improving performances year on year under Bev coached teams. There’s just no linear improvement leading to expected results, completely randomised s**t so I’m not taking a positive season because hey we look like we should compete next year! Cos we’d be just as likely to drop again next year IMO.

This season just needs to be reflective of where the list stands - and for any shortcomings it’s still very very good.

Anything less (barring a retched injury run etc) than top 6 season finish and a finals win is just not acceptable and he’s gone before the dust settles on our last game, just cannot be banking on some slight improvement as a middling team again, yuck

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that! I personally find the new pre-season format a bit dull and it does nothing to excite me (bring back the Wizard/NAB cup). That said, still looking forward to it all coming round again.

I hope the team can play well and help you find some joy in it again.

I think playing the Hawks twice in the pre-season robs it of some interest and is almost as bad a preparation as last year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A trend line up doesn’t cut it for mine, especially when we can put absolutely no stock in improving performances year on year under Bev coached teams. There’s just no linear improvement leading to expected results, completely randomised s**t so I’m not taking a positive season because hey we look like we should compete next year! Cos we’d be just as likely to drop again next year IMO.

This season just needs to be reflective of where the list stands - and for any shortcomings it’s still very very good.

Anything less (barring a retched injury run etc) than top 6 season finish and a finals win is just not acceptable and he’s gone before the dust settles on our last game, just cannot be banking on some slight improvement as a middling team again, yuck
I don't necessarily disagree - we need to see something this season or Bev's out. But as much as I am optimistic and do think our list is of better quality than we have performed of late, I think the 'shortcomings' are getting glossed over a bit too much.

We are currently debating whether Khamis and McNeil, who were almost delisted and delisted, respectively, are in the round 1 team. Harmes is a lock in most teams despite ending the season in the VFL. Our wings are, in my opinion, clearly worse than any of last year's top 8. Our full back is 33 and plays a very physical game, and our CHB lock has played less than ten games in that position. He has done an ankle and if he's not fit we're back to Gardner or Keath, who would be well below par in finals teams.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not all doom and gloom. But we need a number of things to go right this year to be top 6. Bev and the coaches are a huge part of that, yes, but we have serious holes in some critical parts of the ground that we need to find contributors in. Much better contributors than we had last year, irrespective of our diabolical offensive scheme and troubles holding defensive layers.

I don't necessarily disagree - we need to see something this season or Bev's out. But as much as I am optimistic and do think our list is of better quality than we have performed of late, I think the 'shortcomings' are getting glossed over a bit too much.

We are currently debating whether Khamis and McNeil, who were almost delisted and delisted, respectively, are in the round 1 team. Harmes is a lock in most teams despite ending the season in the VFL. Our wings are, in my opinion, clearly worse than any of last year's top 8. Our full back is 33 and plays a very physical game, and our CHB lock has played less than ten games in that position. He has done an ankle and if he's not fit we're back to Gardner or Keath, who would be well below par in finals teams.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not all doom and gloom. But we need a number of things to go right this year to be top 6. Bev and the coaches are a huge part of that, yes, but we have serious holes in some critical parts of the ground that we need to find contributors in. Much better contributors than we had last year, irrespective of our diabolical offensive scheme and troubles holding defensive layers.
About 16 other clubs bigfooty boards are saying the exact same thing though, Port are going into the season with Esava at full back, take your pick out of two shittrucks in Soldo/Sweet in the ruck, the corpse of Dixon, a bloke coming off an ACL & Marshall down forward & the corpse of Boak on a wing. Still made top 4 last year.

Melbourne have had a forward line fit for the VFL for 2 years, their key forwards wouldn’t get a game for Braybrook. They’ve got holes off half back a 33yo ruck which is basically their whole offensive game plan. Top 4 side.

Carlton until Weitering gets back are lining up with Young & McGovern whilst Weitering is injured and their small forwards are the damaging and not at all injury prone pairing of Fantasia & Martin. Some people have them premiership favourites

Collingwood and Brissy are probably the most even/well balanced but even they regularly play guys who I’d have on similar levels at the start of last year to say McNeil & Buku this year

Point is all these clubs have weaknesses just as big as ours - every club with a salary cap is going to that’s just how it is. We mostly have impressive youngsters coming through in those positions of weakness - as do all those clubs im sure, the proof will be in whose come on quicker maybe ours maybe there’s who knows. Top 6 sides have weaknesses, many over the years have more than us - if Bevo can’t get us to top 6 with this list and our shortcomings he’s gotta go

I just don’t think you can say oh we have crap wings and a 2nd defender so can’t expect too much when every club is dealing with similar shortcomings, and we have more than enough strengths to make up for that. Almost every club would kill for our half back line, ruck, starting midfield & key forwards

I believe there is cause for optimism this season mainly due to the fact that the club has now employed a coaching group that should keep Bevo in check and not allow so many of the experimental decisions that we have seen in previous seasons.

A few younger players ready to take the next step, most notably Ugle-Hagan. Sanders also looks ready made. Really excited about what he can bring to the side.

Melbourne looking pretty certain to go into round 1 with the Shackattack their big bad bustling number 1 tall forward… tell me that weakness isn’t bigger than any of ours? No excuses

Melbourne looking pretty certain to go into round 1 with the Shackattack their big bad bustling number 1 tall forward… tell me that weakness isn’t bigger than any of ours? No excuses
Equaled out by the void of weitering in the blues defence. I think whilst Melbourne will struggle to score this year the blues will leak like a rusty bucket until their one man defence returns.

Agree with OP, I can't see us improving and will be middle pack again. It will be frustrating coz u know we will play virtually the same. Sanders probably gets me over the hump with interest.

This might be our best chance to win it in the upcoming years. We still have a bunch of older veterans seemingly performing at a high level (Libba, Treloar, Jones etc.) with a mix of youthfulness that is now at the level to play consistent high level football (Naughton, JUH, Weightman, Richards etc.). The wildcard of the season will be how our fringe types and younger youth step up to the level required to build a contender (JOD, Sanders, Buku, Darcy etc.).

"If you doubt me, go and sit over there with Granty, Cornes, Andrew Dunkley and some guy called Thomas from the Bible..."

images - 2024-02-29T160850.978.jpeg

Later, in private...
"What the actual F*** am I doing still coaching in 2024?!?!"

images - 2024-02-29T160904.695.jpeg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back