Preview Round 3: Brisbane Lions vs Collingwood Magpies, 1st April at Marvel Stadium, 5:40pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I noticed him on the bench on Friday mid third quarter and he looked pretty proppy/sore. Having said that, I think the back issue is unrelated to the calf strain he had pre season so it’s a different issue.
What's better than an injury?

Two injuries!!

🤕😵😟

Prior is a very good kick and has speed. Played half back for WA at the U18 championships.

Ah Chee has played most of his career as a forward flanker, excels there, but we’re trying to convert him to a back flanker.

Cameron was the games most dangerous small forward, but we’re trying to push him up the ground.

Just play the players in their best positions, instead of trying to add more strings to their bows, and taking them away from where they are most damaging.

Isn't Fagan's MO to play to a players strengths?

Prior is a very good kick and has speed. Played half back for WA at the U18 championships.

Ah Chee has played most of his career as a forward flanker, excels there, but we’re trying to convert him to a back flanker.

Cameron was the games most dangerous small forward, but we’re trying to push him up the ground.

Just play the players in their best positions, instead of trying to add more strings to their bows, and taking them away from where they are most damaging.
Richmond did this a number of years ago after they made finals but were getting towelled up. They sat down and looked why they were drafted and the positions that they played moved them back and the rest they say is!

Isn't Fagan's MO to play to a players strengths?

Yep and he's literally been doing in the past few years which has worked very well. It's not like he's flipped the script this year which some people seem to think 🤷‍♂️

Where someone plays as a junior is where they should play their whole career?

Mentioned it after the Swans game, Lachie is carrying an injury. Big reason why the coaches are desperately trying to roll as many players through the midfield.
I don't think it has much to do with injuries or is a kneejerk reaction to Lachie's supposed injury.

IIRC there were reports during the off season that the plan was to roll more players through the midfield as we were becoming too predictable and hence easier to negate, from memory Zorks specifically mentioned this in one interview I saw. The likes of Neale and Lyons are still our primary inside guys.

In saying that I do think we should play our guys to their strengths and utilize their weapons(which by and large is what we do now), Ah Chee being the main guy I am thinking about, I'd prefer him up the field not in the back 6.

I don't think it has much to do with injuries or is a kneejerk reaction to Lachie's supposed injury.

IIRC there were reports during the off season that the plan was to roll more players through the midfield as we were becoming too predictable and hence easier to negate, from memory Zorks specifically mentioned this in one interview I saw. The likes of Neale and Lyons are still our primary inside guys.

In saying that I do think we should play our guys to their strengths and utilize their weapons(which by and large is what we do now), Ah Chee being the main guy I am thinking about, I'd prefer him up the field not in the back 6.

I'd prefer Ah Chee up the field too, but ask yourself this: who is replacing Ah Chee in the backline and whose spot is he taking up the field?

I'd prefer Ah Chee up the field too, but ask yourself this: who is replacing Ah Chee in the backline and whose spot is he taking up the field?
I'd love to see Madden given a crack down back, Keidean Coleman would also be a great option down back IMO, Ah Chee up the field in place of Mitch Robbo, Sharp, Ah Chee plays on the wing/hlf fwd, Clugga/Berry play more time as pure mids but still with (shorter) stints on the wing.

I don't know why we persist in playing him out of position when the guy has serious talent ,a big leap ,plenty of speed around the contest and we persist in trying to make him into a defender where he's surrounded by other defensive minded guys and too scared to take the game on for fear of making a mistake.

Rant over. But he's been seriously mismanaged.
Time travel this post a few years back and replace Ah Chee with Rich.

Big game. I'm pretty much resigned to 6th being our ceiling after this poor start and the likelihood of us being out of Queensland for an extended period. I can't see any way we get home for the Essendon game with 8 new local cases today, and us playing Carlton in Melbourne in round 6. We will lose at least one home game out of this.

All that being said, my query is whether Collingwood have fixed their scoring troubles, or whether they just got to play Carlton last week. We did ok against Geelong despite conceding so much of the footy, but that can't continue. Berry coming back in will be a big help.
Fages might be happy with 5th or 6th....1 home final and no bye which Fages thinks is a disadvantage.

Where someone plays best is where they should play their whole career. For example, CEY is very simply an inside midfielder, not a forward, and his performances for us show that.
My first job as a teenager was at Coles packing items for customers at the cash register, in paper bags. Yes paper bags. Very environmentally friendly. I think I should have stayed there permanently. Oh I was a gun packer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My first job as a teenager was at Coles packing items for customers at the cash register, in paper bags. Yes paper bags. Very environmentally friendly. I think I should have stayed there permanently. Oh I was a gun packer.
Clearly they should have got you to be a brain surgeon instead. Who cares whether your skills are suited to it or not.

Clearly they should have got you to be a brain surgeon instead. Who cares whether your skills are suited to it or not.
It's not like we have Charlie Cameron playing in Ruck. Even if we disagree with the coaches on whether players are in their perfect positions, they are all reasonably suited to their roles.

It's not like we have Charlie Cameron playing in Ruck. Even if we disagree with the coaches on whether players are in their perfect positions, they are all reasonably suited to their roles.
No stress, with a decent enough run-up Charlie is perfectly suited

I'm not against trialling players in different positions, but when we're losing games while experimenting with players in different positions to the ones that are proven to work, maybe it's best to go with what they're better at for a while. Charlie played better in the second half against Geelong when we let him be a leading full-forward again, rather than a midfielder.

I'm not against trialling players in different positions, but when we're losing games while experimenting with players in different positions to the ones that are proven to work, maybe it's best to go with what they're better at for a while. Charlie played better in the second half against Geelong when we let him be a leading full-forward again, rather than a midfielder.
It seems some people think the coaches can do no wrong whatsoever. They get touchy every time it comes up.

I'm all for experimenting with guys who aren't succeeding in their roles or where there is a real team need being unfulfilled. Charlie really lit up back in his normal role last 40 minutes on Friday and nearly pulled off the game for us.

Apart from that play them to their strengths.

Injuries play a part . With Oscar out no doubt Daniher will be more prominent in the ruck because he's the only other one who looks to have much idea about it.

Just got my tickets for the game. Top level but on the wing and I must say it was easy. Imagine the AFL making something easy?

I have a question though. If you buy an upgrade who gets the money: the AFL, Ticketmaster or the LIons?

Just got my tickets for the game. Top level but on the wing and I must say it was easy. Imagine the AFL making something easy?

I have a question though. If you buy an upgrade who gets the money: the AFL, Ticketmaster or the LIons?

Probably Collingwood (as the home team) + the AFL.

I agree it was unexpectedly easy! And not even any annoying $3 ticketmaster fee!

I ended up with a section 35 level 3 premium ticket. Pretty disappointed they couldn't set aside any level 2 or 1 premium tickets for lions vic members. Better than nothing. I wanted a plus one non member ticket as well obviously sitting next to me but no info or option at all for that...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back