• Kelly and Merrett

Votes: 28 38.9%
  • Other

Votes: 8 11.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean, I know it’s hard for some people, but can we not do the “we need to trade into the first round” thing in here.

😞

It's also not the thread to discuss current Hawthorn players and if they are in form or not, and whether they’re tradeable.

Trade targets. Trade targets. Trade targets.

That means players at other clubs, and our interest in them going forward.

I will give the unpopular opinion z.merret is not the answer. Definatly a very handy footballer.
-Goal scoring mid. No
-high effiencey. No
-long penterating kick. No

While he would be a good pick up I wouldn't pay the farm for someone who is very similar to our current mids, outside his leg speed in traffic.

He is very efficient by foot. Also a class kick going inside 50. 11 inside 50's last night. He also laid 10 tackles to go along with his 27 touches. It's what Essendon supporters can expect from him every week.

If people can’t see Zerret improving our midfield substantially no amount of convincing will be enough. The argument of he’s not someone that can carry our midfield is not a good one as it’s something the coaching group wouldn’t want. Same as titch when he came over. They didn’t want him having 50 touches while the rest had no more than 20

We need to offer merrett whatever it takes to be the best $ offer & ensure band 1 comp for bombers.

But that won’t be enough, he needs to want to come - Clarko vs that spud rutten helps, but it will be more about relative chance of success with us, bombers or others???

this year is critically important for our credibility for free agents. Need to win games like this Sunday and get to 10 wins on the back of young talent.

Merrett is not a danger, dusty, cripps, bont, etc. Not many are but he is perfect for our midfield mix and is young, and more importantly won’t require 2 x first rounders in a trade.

we need to be throwing everything this. Needs to fit in out payment structure pfffft. That works when we are contending and people want to come, not now. We could wait until then but it will be a much longer road.

He is very efficient by foot. Also a class kick going inside 50. 11 inside 50's last night. He also laid 10 tackles to go along with his 27 touches. It's what Essendon supporters can expect from him every week.

Zerret played well last night! His a good player and would improve our midfield that was never the conversation.

fyi... currently sits #1 total turnovers , #2 Clangers.
most of his career his fantasy numbers are well above his s.c.

Conversation was more around is he the saving grace? should we make him our highest payed player.
Yes we all know we lack class in the midfield, everyone knows we have a gaping hole at C.h.F. We also need a goal kicking midfielder..

so it was simply if we should throw all our eggs into this basket ? Ala S.Coniglio . it's okay to play devils advocate imagine he was signed 900-1million having the season he had, Granted L.Cameron is a banana.

Unless Merrett is scratching at the door and talks only to us wanting to come ..... wouldn’t even consider it. Paying close to a mil per year is not Hawthorn like, he ain’t a match winner or one of the guns of the competition that wins/changes games off his own boot.

We need to offer merrett whatever it takes to be the best $ offer & ensure band 1 comp for bombers.

But that won’t be enough, he needs to want to come - Clarko vs that spud rutten helps, but it will be more about relative chance of success with us, bombers or others???

this year is critically important for our credibility for free agents. Need to win games like this Sunday and get to 10 wins on the back of young talent.

Merrett is not a danger, dusty, cripps, bont, etc. Not many are but he is perfect for our midfield mix and is young, and more importantly won’t require 2 x first rounders in a trade.

we need to be throwing everything this. Needs to fit in out payment structure pfffft. That works when we are contending and people want to come, not now. We could wait until then but it will be a much longer road.
Agree. He's only coming for these reasons:
- we win circa 10 games and look like making finals again next year
- our offer is better than Essendons, which is already significant
- the Dons finish bottom 3 and won't match, and we trigger band 1 compo - which means the Dons can benefit in his eyes.

Otherwise I reckon he stays.

But we are one of a few clubs that actually have the coin to land him.

I have no problems with this post being replied to by shouts of “da plane boss, da plane”. But if we have a war chest as suggested can’t we come out in the media and say if offers are matched we’re not trading, get players to publicly declare us as a destination then offer Kelly and Zerret $900-$1m over 6 years each. Sorry for hypothetical but I want one if not both these FAs. Worst case 1 of aforementioned and Cerra. (Keep this years first somehow)

Agree. He's only coming for these reasons:
- we win circa 10 games and look like making finals again next year
- our offer is better than Essendons, which is already significant
- the Dons finish bottom 3 and won't match, and we trigger band 1 compo - which means the Dons can benefit in his eyes.

Otherwise I reckon he stays.

But we are one of a few clubs that actually have the coin to land him.

also been reported that he's keen on us and we're keen on him

if we have the money + he likes our culture and the way we're run, I see no reason why he wouldn't come as long as we don't end up looking like North

but I think he'll stay

I must have missed this?

reported not the right word — but ITKs have suggested this being the case when he wanted out last year. came up a couple times in last year's equivalent of this thread. Of course it may be entirely fabricated, just something I remember being said from reliable posters on this board

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I must have missed this?
Marginally overpaying and acquiring Merrett is absolutely fine in my book so long as we finish one stop lower than them and our draft pick isn't pushed down by two and miss on a Sinn or a Sonsie..Sinn and Merrett (FA, pay him $850) for me , plus two high second rounders and we'll be going places. What does overpaying a guy $100K mean when you're struggling to pay the minimum anyway.

Lol you have literally no idea who provided that info and the context of how they provided it. Pipe down.
The Herald Sun ran a story of the top paid players salaries last year with inside info and in most cases were not even close. No one is going to be honest of their actual salary. If you are related to someone that lodges contracts at the AFL they can tell you the exact details ;) I can assure you if Zac Williams was to make All Australian and win the b and f he would take home over a mill that season.

He can be a good kick. But he can also have shocking nights like last night when he couldn’t hit a target. 11 inside 50’s for 2 score involvements total from his 27 possessions. And 44% disposal efficiency. Was in the 30s at one point

The Herald Sun ran a story of the top paid players salaries last year with inside info and in most cases were not even close. No one is going to be honest of their actual salary. If you are related to someone that lodges contracts at the AFL they can tell you the exact details ;) I can assure you if Zac Williams was to make All Australian and win the b and f he would take home over a mill that season.
It's awesome how much people on bigfooty know about the contractual details of footballers.

Wouldn’t take too much out of that seems like Sumich just putting sh*t on Freo for getting rid of him and not giving him the senior coaching gig..
I can reliably say he isn't that sort of person.

Now Brad Hardie on the other hand.....

If people can’t see Zerret improving our midfield substantially no amount of convincing will be enough. The argument of he’s not someone that can carry our midfield is not a good one as it’s something the coaching group wouldn’t want. Same as titch when he came over. They didn’t want him having 50 touches while the rest had no more than 20

The problem is he would but it’s not what we need at this time he would take us from a bottom 5 side to a team just inside the 8 maybe but we need the draft picks inside the top 5 to become a great side again not around the 8 every year.

Another young player we should target, Will Hayward. With all the swans young talent he is on the outer.
Always plays well against us, suits age bracket, and wouldn’t have to give up much. Could be more unlocked potential

Don’t mind the look of Jack Payne as a tall back trade target. Will always be behind Andrews at brissie but could have a main role for us (assuming pushes past Hartigan). DGB seems more a grimes type rather than monster FB. Is 21 yo, 197cm and 101kgs. Dunno what the cost would be.

I would take this offline as I'm keen to discuss this, though I can't PM you for some reason?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back