Preview Rd 6 Carlton v Brisbane - Saturday 24th April 4.35PM @ Marvel Stadium - Team Post #964

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We may well show up for this one given the hammering we’re copping in the media.
Bring in Stocker please. He’s paid his dues in the 2s and deserves his chance. His skills look crisp from what I’ve seen in the highlights. We know he’s willing to attack the ball and ball carrier.
Bring in Cunners too - we need players who can consistently hit targets

Gibbons lays tackles, and is still useful around a stoppage where Murphy is not. If we're getting the quality of disposal around the ball from players other than Murphy - by promoting Stocker and moving SPS up around the ball - we don't need Murphy's kicking, and we especially don't need it if Ed is replaced by Cuningham.

I cannot stress this enough: we need to replace both Murphy and Ed upon entering forward 50. If we suffer a short term hit to our game for it, so ******* be it; if it's what it takes to spur the coaches into some form of innovation or - God forbid - something resembling coherent stoppage planning to get the ball into one of SPS, Walsh, Cuningham, Stocker's hands before kicking inside forward 50, then I'm embracing the short term pain. We need this transition to happen now; the longer we put it off, the longer we will continue to suffer poor return for kicking the ball inside forward 50. If we got a transition expert like Caracella in - something that wouldn't be a bad idea - this is the sort of thing he'd try to implement, IMO.

Betts is replaced by Fisher when he's fit, and immediately our seconds is improved immeasurably by the addition of Murphy and Betts.
Cheers for reading my mind Red.

We may well show up for this one given the hammering we’re copping in the media.
Bring in Stocker please. He’s paid his dues in the 2s and deserves his chance. His skills look crisp from what I’ve seen in the highlights. We know he’s willing to attack the ball and ball carrier.

Agree with all this.
Haven’t read/listened to all of the criticism, but I’m sure it’s mostly warranted.
Injury list is seriously damaging, but we had enough experienced players to put forward a better performance than that.
I’m getting a bit sick of the team needing the scrutiny from the football media to lift our intensity. We already had our dismal pressure rating highlighted after the Pies game, but still we are ranked dead last.
Getting sick of the “learnings” and “now we know what’s expected” from Teague. Let’s show that these lessons are sinking in, that we’re working on improving these deficiencies. Won’t happen immediately, but seeing no evidence of change - either in strategy by coaches or application by (most of) the playing list.
All that said - I’ll be there Saturday.

Unpopular opinion ... but Murphy should have been moved into the centre square on Saturday night.
We were getting killed on the outside and skills were appalling ... quite frankly nothing I’ve seen from many other Carlton midfielder in 2021 tells me we have a better skilled outside mid as yet.
Walsh, Cripps, Curnow are all playing as inside mids. Williams is our go to outside mid but hasn’t really found his groove just yet.
If Teague has a major fault it’s his slavish and stubborn approach to positional preferences in game.
I was very hopeful preseason that Murphy could be an effective forward pocket - but he is getting exposed defensively and offensively at half forward.
Get him into the midfield or into the VFL.
Interestingly, On The Couch crew said the same but, not based on his current attitude. Basically inferred he is squibing his way to 300 in some sort of “malaise”. Stated he should expect more of himself and work to achieve it.

Philp needs to play at least a whole game in the 2s before we talk of him being elevated.

People pot Owies for getting a lot of his goals in open space as a knock on him. We don't do this enough. Murphy and Betts never beat their man back towards goal. Betts is now having a lot of almost moments, a sign the game has past him by. One other thing is Owies takes his chances and kicks goals not points(one AFL game excluded)
Agreed, we don’t provide enough pressure to produce those easy goals though. Saints in the same boat. They lead the comp in Joe the Goose goals but can barely snag one this year. It’s about the pressure up the ground to get those easy goals. We have done it, need to replicate it weekly.

Gibbons lays tackles, and is still useful around a stoppage where Murphy is not.
Both lay tackles, and Murphy is still plenty useful at a stoppage, not to mention he's still easing into the season (as is the norm for a player at his age, his pre-season requirements would have been limited).

We also don't need to rip the bandaid off, because we've already done that numerous times. What we need is structures that actually suit the strengths and weaknesses of our list, while allowing the flexibility for anyone to play a starring role on any given day. Murphy and Betts still have something in the tank, particularly Murphy, and there's nothing wrong with them being in this side when they are in form and meeting requirements.

I'm far more focused on the selections, the structures and the morale.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If it were me, I'd honestly still be dropping Gibbons before Murphy. Murphy generates marks inside 50, Gibbons doesn't do a great job of that.

Gibbons and Betts are competing for a role iMO, and Betts is quicker, stronger and smarter, so it's just a question of form and fitness.

Murphy and Betts ahead of Gibbons?

No, will not happen

Plowman. Jones. Saad.
Docherty. Weitering. Newnes.
SPS. Cripps. Fogarty.
Gibbons. McGovern. Cuningham.
Kennedy. McKay. Betts.
R. Pitto. Williams. Walsh.
I. Stocker. Murphy. Cottrell. Casboult.

How hard is it for the coach/es to look a player in the eye and say "we're giving you a run in the twos to tidy up a few things"?
Gee, we might be a fair few players short this week.

Yep. I reckon we are a chance this week.
Stocker in
Williams half back
Parks back in.
Do something different with SPS or drop him.
Murph sub and too bad if he doesn't like it.
Cunners in.

Exactly and his second efforts are almost non existent he needs a forward coach (Nick Riewoldt) to work on his craft because apart from lead out mark he does not have too many more tricks up his sleeve but if taught correctly and taught the right work rate could be a star.

But I tell you with our game plan and delivery forward of centre Wayne Carey, GA snr and Plugger would not kick many either we are the worst team by foot into fwd 50 by a long margin this needs to be fixed ASAP.
Yep, second efforts and chasing are average as well...
Great speed and agility for a 204cm KPF good field kick, beautiful action and when on early days a very good kick for goal, also has good hands... Poor with the rest of the stuff, could be some sort of player if he can put it all together...

S
How hard is it for the coach/es to look a player in the eye and say "we're giving you a run in the twos to tidy up a few things"?
Should’nt be hard at all, good clubs and coaches/staff make these decisions for the short/medium/long term betterment of both the team and player involved...
Let’s see if we can manage to put what’s best for the team first...

changed my mind....
Eddie out - Cunners in
Murphy out (to sub role) - SPS into Fwd - Parks into Def
Williamson out - Stocker in (swapping with Williams in the Mid)

Newnes should have a spell as well.

Owies in the highlights packages was not just joe the goose as people have said, he is getting the ball and doing excellent forward craft - plus can kick from beyond 50.

Stocker , Cunners , Owies, Parks all in - Eddie, Murphy (rested) Williamson, Newnes out.

Just checked the team list - Owies was named on the emergency - 4 goals (all excellent) should see him come in - really hoping for him.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back