Autopsy Rd 8 vs Dogs - 16 point loss. Let's not sugar coat it ... we choked!

Who played well for the Blues in Round 8 vs the Dogs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

The Carlton Football Club has lost it's soul..
(Don't know if we can ever get it back)

There is no Carlton of old left.. Rivalry and passion is gone, Collingwood, Essendon and Richmond are just another opponent..
The board don't care if we win or lose, as long as they make a profit...

Teague and Co & the players (apart from JSOS, Weitering and Walsh) don't give a s**t like us supporters do..
They are just here for a job and play for a pay cheque...

This ******* heatless team has broken my heart..
First time I've nearly had tears from a non grand final game...

You have to expect 20-25% of your list to be injured at any given time. That has been the historical rates. Every club has injuries so it is pointless going on about it. Curnow has not played for 2 years and the likelihood he will ever play senior footy again diminishes week by week. Everytime he is ready, he has another setback. Hopefully I am wrong, but not looking good.

We have 13 players on the injury list, the most in the league. The league average is 9 players injured at the moment.

Besides which, my point wasn't the injuries, it was that our depth in covering the injuries is actually pretty good. Even with the injuries testing our depth more than any other team in the league (and to be honest, the poor form of Setterfield, Dow, O'brien, Kennedy also testing our depth) I would argue our bottom 6 played as well this week as any team.

In other words, we aren't lsoing because of the injuries, or because of our bottom 6 players or a lack of depth, or youth, or whatever.

Mainly, we're losing becuase our best players aren't going very well, and because our midfield got absolutely smashed today...

Yep i know about McGovern and he should not play in the seniors again this season. I cannot recall one dominant game he has played.

Why do we keep moving Williams around? He is not upto it. He has played everywhere and made zero impact. Midfield, wing, half-forward, half-back, now you want to play him in the back pocket. If he was not on 800K he would not get a game. Not sure who made the call to recruit him, but this is not the same player they saw or imagined. He was supposed to help out in the midfield. He can barely find the ball and has no tank.

Yeah give Honey a go. Kennedy will not be at Carlton next year, so do not waste games on him. Get matches time into Paddy, Kemp Stocker.
SPS needs to go back to the seconds and find some form. For some reason they keep finding excuses not to drop him. He has had enough chances. and needs to show us he wants to play AFL.
McGovern doesn't have to be dominant.
He has been decent in the games he played, he definitely adds, just a pity he always gets injured.
Honestly, don't want to sound like a Monday
Missed the game. Is it worth watching any part of the replay?
Yes. Until 3 quarter time.
Then turn it off😂

Maybe. One thing I think we have is depth. We had 13 players on hte injured list this week and yet I thought our lowest 6 are probably as good as the bottom 6 for aynteam that trotted out in round 8 (probably Owies, JSOS, Parks, Stocker, Cottrell and Casboult on paper - and they all did their bit).

The thing is, a tough, lock-down defensive style isn't winning us the game today either. Gold Coast are playing a defensive style, in a similar ladder position to us, and copped a 118-56 belting from the Bulldogs 3 weeks ago. You can't try to hold the dam back against a team with a midfield that good. You ahve to go out and beat them down yourself, and for three quarters our game plan allowed that to happen. Then, we got rolled. Still, we kicked 85 points, got 5 goals from Eddie and Harry took the lead in the Coleman, and we saw some fun and interest from Owies, Cuningham, Stocker that we probably don't get in a slogfest.
Great reply there is clearly positives, you touched on the injury list which may have a bearing on how we go about our play .
We've got some players in the side that clearly need resting couple that with an already long injury list playing a more physical brand may be something Teague doesn't want us to risk given .
Trouble is just keeps staying at the 8-10 out continually .

Same people he had last week

If the assistants aren't strong enough to confront Teague about an unsustainable gameplan, they can leave, if they have confronted him, it's on Teague

From the outside, which one is it? None of us know

What we ALL know, is this gamestyle belongs to Teague and we ALL know it isn't sustainable

I don't need the likes of the media to tell me in recent weeks it's not sustainable, I've known for more than a year

From the outside, I'm comfortable concluding that the current assistants aren't up to it.

Sellars intimated on AFL360 that Teague is surrounded by yes-men - the same ones that oversaw 3 wins from 30 games under Bolton. We don't expect rookie players to flourish without proper support, no reason why rookie coaches would be any different.

Yep i know about McGovern and he should not play in the seniors again this season. I cannot recall one dominant game he has played.

Why do we keep moving Williams around? He is not upto it. He has played everywhere and made zero impact. Midfield, wing, half-forward, half-back, now you want to play him in the back pocket. If he was not on 800K he would not get a game. Not sure who made the call to recruit him, but this is not the same player they saw or imagined. He was supposed to help out in the midfield. He can barely find the ball and has no tank.

Yeah give Honey a go. Kennedy will not be at Carlton next year, so do not waste games on him. Get matches time into Paddy, Kemp Stocker.
SPS needs to go back to the seconds and find some form. For some reason they keep finding excuses not to drop him. He has had enough chances. and needs to show us he wants to play AFL.
Gov has also only played 2 games this season. He hasn't really had the chance to be a dominant player.

Williams has talent. We just don't have the coaches who can keep him at that level for long enough.

Do you have inside information that Kennedy won't be at Carlton next year? BUT... I disagree that we shouldn't give him games. Who knows... if he plays well in the seniors for the rest of the year, we might get a trade offer for him. SPS need to be played on the wing or in the middle. This playing him at the HBF is a joke. We have more than enough players who can play his role as a rebounding defender on our list already. Play them in that position and let SPS roam on the wing as a link up winger.

It is a great game to watch - right up till the end of the 3rd quarter the rest is pretty fugly but perhaps appealing to those who enjoy a shitshow.
First 3 qtrs, Skadoosh. Worth watching. If you want to put yourself through some real frustration and see what the fuss is about, may as well watch the 4th.

The frustration is warranted, but we did play some good footy today at times and had a nice lead.
Watch the first 3 quarters minus the last 5 mins of the third, you’ll wonder how the fu** we lost it....

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Thanks guys. Was busy installing a dash cam with the missus. And was checking the scores periodically on the TV - saw us up 26 points in the 3rd. And then the capitulation in the 4th. We must have been doing something right to be up by 26...could've been up by 30+ if we took our chances.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Furthermore to the obvious already said...Struggling to like Gibbons. Hurts us way too much..hard to see us becoming a good side until he Casboult and newnes are not being picked.

I
Love this place, goes Pick 1? Put him in the leadership group. Plays a few good games? Make him captain. Plays a few bad games? Delist, trade, sack. Gets a few possessions anywhere on the ground? Midfield. Fails in the midfield? Why is he played out of position? The utter kneejerk numbskullery that plays out here after a loss needs to be the trigger for a Royal Commission into sporting idiocy. I'm happy to write the terms of agreement.
I’ll make a note to ask for your permission to post any of my views in future.

As bad as the choke was, the game should have been over at 3 quarter time. A combination of the maggots and our goal kicking kept them in it.

But we carried too many passengers, and our match committee and coaches have no ******* idea what they're doing.

Why isn't Williams playing on a back flank with Saad...can't tag them both...Williams is not a mid or a forward....terrible coaching...best teams are based on defence....we have it with Jones weitering doc Saad and Williams...do it Teaguey you nuffy

Back