What They're Saying - The Bulldogs Media Thread - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's the other issue. I think a few years ago VFL had a throw in if it went OOB inside 50 but free paid middle of the ground.

But how does that impact the defensive spoil on the wing?

I think it only lasted a season or 2?
Forgive my ignorance but in the last touch rule in AFLW can the defender still spoil the ball OOB? Been in the game for over 100 years and I would hate to see that lost.

Why not have the rule that's been used for kickouts from a behind but apply it all over the ground?

If the ball is kicked out of bounds (OOB) but is first touched by any player, it is not paid as deliberate OOB (unless the player who last touched it deliberately took the ball/hit the ball over the line.) You could then also adjudicate that a ball that is made to ricochet off an opposition player's boot is not a kick OOB and therefore not deliberate kick OOB but is a ricochet.

In effect...if you kick the ball OOB and it is not touched, then it is a free kick against.

Didn’t think OOB was such a serious issue we need to eradicate it

Much like the carry on over interchange that I’ve never noticed live at a game
It seems like they need to have a rule in focus every week that they crack down on and then forget it the following round in place of something else

Just go back to how it was ffs it has never been a problem until it was tampered with. Why can’t the AFL realise we’re never gonna have a game that’s all go to go from start to finish it’s not flipping possible. Let teams slow it down and take it out of bounds sometimes and you’ll get a better spectacle and wear players out and skills will drop right off and the game is hard to watch

Why not have the rule that's been used for kickouts from a behind but apply it all over the ground?

If the ball is kicked out of bounds (OOB) but is first touched by any player, it is not paid as deliberate OOB (unless the player who last touched it deliberately took the ball/hit the ball over the line.) You could then also adjudicate that a ball that is made to ricochet off an opposition player's boot is not a kick OOB and therefore not deliberate kick OOB but is a ricochet.

In effect...if you kick the ball OOB and it is not touched, then it is a free kick against.
This is probably the best solution if they really wanna **** with it, but then it still leaves a lottttt up to interpretation And still relies on competent umpires making decisions, which they haven’t been able to do right now so can’t see it having too much effect

You know one thing that might open the game up without any real downside?

Letting players go third man up in ruck contests, spiking the sh*t out of the ball and into space, where open players can run on to it and get the ball moving.

Now there's an idea...
Speaking about ruck contests can we please remove this rule where ruckmen can take the ball out of the ruck and then proceed to do whatever they want with it without the risk of being called holding the ball. Fair enough don’t ping rucks just for taking the ball out of the ruck, but if they take it out and get done holding the ball it’s still holding the ball ffs. There’s nothing “attractive” about big ruckman outbodying smaller ruckman all day, grabbing the ball trying to barge through 5 blokes and dropping the ball.

Just go back to how it was ffs it has never been a problem until it was tampered with. Why can’t the AFL realise we’re never gonna have a game that’s all go to go from start to finish it’s not f*n possible. Let teams slow it down and take it out of bounds sometimes and you’ll get a better spectacle and wear players out and skills will drop right off and the game is hard to watch
I agree with your sentiment. Whilst I proposed a "solution" to the deliberate OOB rule I really just wish we would keep the rules unchanged and simple and just go back to adjudicating according to those rules. It's the umpiring interpretations that cause the problems and those interpretations often ignore what the rule actually says.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree with your sentiment. Whilst I proposed a "solution" to the deliberate OOB rule I really just wish we would keep the rules unchanged and simple and just go back to adjudicating according to those rules. It's the umpiring interpretations that cause the problems and those interpretations often ignore what the rule actually says.
Yeah absolutely, you’re right though that the way it’s being interpreted right now they might as well make it last disposal OOB is a free against but if it’s touched it’s throw in, but I can still see dubious frees being paid inside 50 were players ‘cheat’ the umpire into paying a free kick. In saying that though it encourages players to not go for the ball and let it roll out of bounds for a free which I don’t think is a great look, having players sheppard a ball out of bounds etc to win the free

The deliberate out of bounds has ALWAYS been problematic. Having umpires required to speculate on a players intent is just incredibly stupid and doesn't work. You end up with a coin flip scenario which is then easily influenced by social pressure from the crowd. The rules around deliberately rushing a behind are a good example of the AFL getting it right; it's hardly ever controversial. Why? Because intent doesn't need to be established.

Last edited:
Yeah absolutely, you’re right though that the way it’s being interpreted right now they might as well make it last disposal OOB is a free against but if it’s touched it’s throw in, but I can still see dubious frees being paid inside 50 were players ‘cheat’ the umpire into paying a free kick. In saying that though it encourages players to not go for the ball and let it roll out of bounds for a free which I don’t think is a great look, having players sheppard a ball out of bounds etc to win the free

Tbh I don't see many scenarios where that would play out. With the way the game is played these days you're much better off just picking up the ball when you can and keeping the play live. Out of bounds free gives your opponent time to structure up.

Letting players go third man up in ruck contests, spiking the sh*t out of the ball and into space, where open players can run on to it and get the ball moving.

Now there's an idea...

It makes sense what you say and therefore it won’t happen

The deliberate out of bounds has ALWAYS been problematic. Having umpires required to speculate on a players intent is just incredibly stupid and doesn't work. You end up with a coin flip scenario which is then easily influenced by social pressure from the crowd. The rules around deliberately rushing a behind are a good example of the AFL getting it right; it's hardly ever controversial. Why? Because intent doesn't need to be established.
Was it really problematic though? I can’t remember ever having a problem with it, from memory you’d rarely see more than one a game, it was a pretty rare occurrence and only really there to stop the really obvious ones where the player was very obviously looking for the boundary. If they disguise it well enough then fair enough play on

Now there's an idea...
I love that idea, might just work. Why haven't we had that before. !!!!

Apart from putting an end to the silly Bont Cripps debate (Cripps was never in the same league) what stood out in this article was the player rankings. Liberatore (3rd ranked player in the league in 2021). What’s scary, is that Bont is the #1 ranked player this year and he has had multiple really average games. Its frightening that he will still get a lot better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back