List Mgmt. 2021 Draft picks: 4/33/75

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tom Powell looking the shrewd pickup by North. Looks like a pro already

I do think Phillips will end up good, but would not be surprised at all now if Powell ends up the much better player, having watched him at the top level this year
Powell is an absolute gun , we might rue that one if Pedlar is perenially injured but I have high hopes

need to look at the type of mids we draft as we seem to draft the same type

Just go get Mitch O'Neil in the MSD, very, very similar player from the same draft and he now appears to be over his troublesome ankle issues that have plagued him. Building nicely in the SANFL after being rookie delisted by the WCE after just the 1 season. B.O.G. for the Panthers on the weekend and watching that game certainly still has his speed and agility.

Worth remembering Mitch was an U18 All Australian in 2018 and 2019 until his ankle intervened.

Free hit at the MSD so essentially we get to try before we buy and he immediately adds the outside run option we sadly lack.

View attachment 1125195

STRENGTHS:
Outside run
Balanced ball-winner
Skilful
Athleticism
Decision-making
Vision
IMPROVEMENTS:
Durability
Size/strength
Scoreboard Impact
O’Neill is a similar player to Zach Merrett, where his best attributes are best utilised on the outside of the contest. He is very neat by foot and he is a very good decision maker – whether he is under pressure or not – and showed in the Allies’ game against Western Australia that he can take the game on with some penetrating kicks from bursting runs down the middle of the ground. He is exactly the type of player you want to have ball in hand as much as possible, especially when directing the ball inside 50 to leading forwards. O’Neill can also win the pill on the inside and is not afraid to put his head over the ball to win first possession in tight situations. He is clean by hand and has fantastic vision, so he is able to distribute the ball effectively to his teammates who are playing on the outside. O’Neill also has the potential to rack up huge numbers on the stat sheet, which was evident in Tasmania’s Round 3 victory over the NT Thunder in the NAB League when he gathered 35 disposals (21 kicks). It Is also worth noting that he spent the majority of the second half of that match on the pine after receiving a head knock.
However, O’Neill still lacks the consistency to perform week in week out given his unlucky run with injuries, in particular a niggling ankle. He may still be a handy contributor in every match he plays, but he’ll definitely be looking to have more of a damaging impact on games on a regular basis once he can build his match fitness and get a clean run at it again. Another area of improvement would be his ability to push forward to hit the scoreboard. If he is wanting to play predominately on the outside (wing) at the next level, he will be needing to add another dimension to his game and goal-scoring will be one thing he will be eager to work on. He finished with just the two goals for the season, which both came in Tasmania’s Round 8 match against the Dandenong Stingrays. O’Neill is still a first-round talent on potential, and was highly rated coming into his draft season as the Devils’ leading prospect. Injuries have set his draft position back a little, so it’ll be interesting to see exactly where he goes come draft night.
DRAFT RANGE: 20-35

View attachment 1125351
He’s a great player ! Good call Bicks

At this point of the season its looking like a foregone conclusion that Horne is pick 1 (or 2 if Daicos is bid on). We could go all in with our first pick this year and whatever else is needed to satisfy North so that we can grab Horne. I think we still have too many holes in our list to be spending that sort of capital on 1 player though.

My suggestion is, we grab a couple of Hornes partners in crime the last few seasons in South mids Matty Roberts and Arlo Draper. I think we finish 16th giving us pick 3, if Roberts keeps going at the standard he has been that could be the pick to land him. Draper I'm not as sure where he goes, potentially around 8-18. I love mids who can win there own ball and kick goals, something these two are great at. Horne being a standout talent is somewhat overshadowing Roberts and Draper, for now anyway. There's a lot of water to go under the bridge this year and there will inevitable be great prospects from the other states, but I think we would be fools not to capitalize on the current boom in S.A. talent that is coming through lately. In a couple of years we could look at bringing Horne back with a godfather offer, and I'm still really keen on Rankine.

Some further reading:

Draper

Roberts

I wouldn't rule out Keyser Söze as pick 1.

Fingers crossed.

There are only two drafts where the first pick of the 2nd round was moved where that was the prize and not steak knives in a live draft. Adelaide to GWS where we got a 2nd round pick for a 5th for a 4 pick downgrade (but then, we're dealing with GWS who didn't exactly need draft picks), and in the 2020 draft where Fremantle upgraded a 4th to a 3rd to move up 3 spots to it. It isn't a golden goose and never has been. It's been traded more times as a downgrade/steak knife than it is as the goal.

You're also arguing that we get sucked into this mythical value and don't trade it to get Cook, and history tells you one thing, we'll trade it to get Cook because it just does not have the value you're pretending it does.

The only value you could argue is it gives clubs a chance to have a breather, and also allows the AFL to spend more time wanking about the 1st round.

Yeah, no. Complaining about the draft moving back to two days apparently screwing us over (ignoring we have already traded that pick by the time the 2nd round happened) is just looking for an excuse to perpetuate a victim complex.

It ain't a golden pick clubs pay a premium for, that's just PR. It's just a 2nd round pick.

In both the 18/19 drafts the teams with the first pick on the second day received reasonably good deals just before the second round commenced.

In 2018 West Coast swapped pick 23(1st pick of second round) and their 5th round pick to Gold Coast for pick 27 and 32.

In 2019 Port dropped 1 spot from 22 to 23 with Brisbane and gave up a GWS fourth round 2020 and received a 2020 second round pick which belonged to Collingwood in return, basically turned a fourth round pick into a second round pick to drop one spot. There was a lot of interest in that pick 22 because Deven Robertson hadn’t been picked up the night before.

So from the two drafts which went over 2 days the first pick in round two was traded shortly before the second round commenced and both made good gains in regards to draft pick value.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

At this point of the season its looking like a foregone conclusion that Horne is pick 1 (or 2 if Daicos is bid on). We could go all in with our first pick this year and whatever else is needed to satisfy North so that we can grab Horne. I think we still have too many holes in our list to be spending that sort of capital on 1 player though.

My suggestion is, we grab a couple of Hornes partners in crime the last few seasons in South mids Matty Roberts and Arlo Draper. I think we finish 16th giving us pick 3, if Roberts keeps going at the standard he has been that could be the pick to land him. Draper I'm not as sure where he goes, potentially around 8-18. I love mids who can win there own ball and kick goals, something these two are great at. Horne being a standout talent is somewhat overshadowing Roberts and Draper, for now anyway. There's a lot of water to go under the bridge this year and there will inevitable be great prospects from the other states, but I think we would be fools not to capitalize on the current boom in S.A. talent that is coming through lately. In a couple of years we could look at bringing Horne back with a godfather offer, and I'm still really keen on Rankine.

Some further reading:

Draper

Roberts
Simple.. we keep our pick three for roberts unless by some miracle horne does drop to 3 of course..

Then we do a 2022 1st round pick swap with a club with a pick between 8-15 this year.. and maybe throw in a sweetner for them.

So they get our 2022 1st, which they probably bank on being a top 5 pick plus maybe melbournes second (which we have) this year.. we get their 1st this year and next year..

We dont care where there 1st round pick next year (the one that was ours) lands anyways because we’re were only gonna use that first round pick we in a trade for Rankine..

We get Draper this year..

Simple.. we keep our pick three for roberts unless by some miracle horne does drop to 3 of course..

Then we do a 2022 1st round pick swap with a club with a pick between 8-15 this year.. and maybe throw in a sweetner for them.

So they get our 2022 1st, which they probably bank on being a top 5 pick plus maybe melbournes second (which we have) this year.. we get their 1st this year and next year..

We dont care where there 1st round pick next year (the one that was ours) lands anyways because we’re were only gonna use that first round pick we in a trade for Rankine..

We get Draper this year..
You better start penciling in the Roosters Hugh Jackson for consideration if you're set on SA midfielders.

Powell is an absolute gun , we might rue that one if Pedlar is perenially injured but I have high hopes

I agree. On AFL 360 last night they were gushing over Powell and his performances so far this year in the bottom side. Likened him positively to Sam Walsh in his first year.

FMD!! . The main advantage of first pick in the 2nd round was to be able to have time overnight for other teams to place bids for that trade.

Sowhen we could capitalise on it by having first two picks in the 2nd round, AFL * us over by committing to 1draftnight.

As much as I loving living in Melb, * the VFL!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So have a fire sale with your list moving on top end players and gets rewarded for abysmal list management...seems fair enough

Glad I no longer spend any money supporting this league.

So have a fire sale with your list moving on top end players and gets rewarded for abysmal list management...seems fair enough
I made the point on the main board that if the AFL even think about a PP for North, then they had better be giving us one too. We finished last last year and are on track to go bottom 2 again with our draw. We were labelled on our long winless run last year as the worst side in years etc etc etc.

But really it is up to our CEO and club president to fight this one out at AFL house and if they were worth their salt this is exactly what they would be doing. If north get a PP and lets just say that Roberts comes on really well and is in the mix for a top 3 pick, you could just see us missing not only Horne but him too...the messaging as the season goes on be like..'North could get 2 top lads playing in the same team and it will help with player retention and they are mates and would be a great story ra ra fcuking ra'

Just a casual 41 touches in his last game and didn’t look out of place when rotated forward either.
All that remains to be seen is who will be the starting SA midfield at the Championships, going to be a pretty select group Horne, Roberts, Draper, Murley, Jackson, Burgoyne etc

Get ready Crowies, get the lube out and prepare to get bent over by the VAFL.....AGAIN

The groundwork is already being laid by VAFL employees Cal Twomey and Riley Beveridge etc...

Yep this is the ground work. Lay the foundation and judge the response.
Let it lay low for 10 weeks and then bring it up again. It will sound more like something reasonable as it's 'been on the cards' for some time....

We will get destroyed once again.

Get ready Crowies, get the lube out and prepare to get bent over by the VAFL.....AGAIN

The groundwork is already being laid by VAFL employees Cal Twomey and Riley Beveridge etc...

I assume this is priority pick rubbish?

It’ll be fine. If they get one, we’ll get one probably. Both 17/18 in successive years. Both look bad long term, both chose to bottom out hard by trading/delisting mature players. The latter point is all the ammunition they need to (rightly imo) deny priority picks

You better start penciling in the Roosters Hugh Jackson for consideration if you're set on SA midfielders.
I got a pencil on him already. I like that he's an outside mid that's moved inside and has become a real accumulator. Hard to get a sense of his leg speed?

On SM-A526B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I assume this is priority pick rubbish?

It’ll be fine. If they get one, we’ll get one probably. Both 17/18 in successive years. Both look bad long term, both chose to bottom out hard by trading/delisting mature players. The latter point is all the ammunition they need to (rightly imo) deny priority picks
Which is still not ideal n either because it's looming as a Rowell/Anderson - Rankine/Lukosius type deal, keep 2 mates together i.e. Horne/Roberts so we'd be taking North Melbourne's left overs unless they were to go for 2 Vic Metro lads.

Which is still not ideal n either because it's looming as a Rowell/Anderson - Rankine/Lukosius type deal, keep 2 mates together i.e. Horne/Roberts so we'd be taking North Melbourne's left overs unless they were to go for 2 Vic Metro lads.
Not necessarily. The picks would be 1 and 3 for North, 2 and 4 for us.
1. Horne (North)
2. Sonsie (Crows)
3. Rachele (North)
4. Roberts (Crows)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back