List Mgmt. 2021 Draft picks: 4/33/75

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another article by the VAFL employed media writers....

No Agenda....Not much!

I feel a well articulated public comment from our club that follows on from Nobles comments stating we feel that we are in the same position north find themselves in and would absolutely expect a PP if North get one in the spirit of fairness should the remainder of both teams seasons head the same way in terms of win loss. We could make it harder for the AFL to grant one to north if they have no intention of granting us one if it looks like other clubs are banging at the door for one. Use it almost as a reverse strategy to protect what may well be our pick 2 should we finish 17th

I seem to remember a few years back when the AFL decided to cut back on the amount of priority picks they were giving out they revised the criteria to receive one. The outcome was that the first time a pick was awarded it would be end of first round. Then if a team still needed help the next year the pick would then be start of first round. I know the AFL change rules to suit themselves, but I feel as though this should still apply. A team should have an extended period of being dead last before they are entitled to a start of first round pick. If North do receive one this year, no way it should be after their 1st pick.

I think the fundamental issue is that the draft by itself isn't enough of an evener upper to lift a club out of the doldrums

Should the first two rounds go Teams 18-9 for Picks 1 through 10.

Followed by Teams 18-9 again for Picks 11 through 20.

Teams 8-1 for Picks 21 through 28.

Teams 8-1 again for Picks 29 through 36.

I think the fundamental issue is that the draft by itself isn't enough of an evener upper to lift a club out of the doldrums

Should the first two rounds go Teams 18-9 for Picks 1 through 10.

Followed by Teams 18-9 again for Picks 11 through 20.

Teams 8-1 for Picks 21 through 28.

Teams 8-1 again for Picks 29 through 36.

I think it used to be, but free agency has absolutely equalised in the opposite direction. By its direct effect but also making early career club movement way more commonplace

How many clubs have gone to the draft, done well, and just as they're on the up, they lose a 23-26 year old or three to a top 4 team?

That said, I reckon the draft is a perfectly fine equaliser provided clubs nail their picks. Finishing last vs first effectively gives you pick 1 over the premiers (their 18 is your 19, their 36 is your 37 etc - you just get pick 1 in place of their last pick). That's huge. But if they're nailing their pick 19 and you're missing with 18, it's not going to work.

I knew Hawthorn would tank yesterday. Expect Hawthorn and North to lose pretty much every game from here on out. We will need to watch Collingwood as they are likely in full fledged tank mode as well. AFL should change pick 1 into lotto system similar to the NFL. Bottom 4 get an equal chance st pick 1. It will stop the tanking to some degree.

I knew Hawthorn would tank yesterday. Expect Hawthorn and North to lose pretty much every game from here on out. We will need to watch Collingwood as they are likely in full fledged tank mode as well. AFL should change pick 1 into lotto system similar to the NFL. Bottom 4 get an equal chance st pick 1. It will stop the tanking to some degree.
Pies don’t really have any incentive to tank because they don’t own their first pick, Hawks are a worry though!!

Pies don’t really have any incentive to tank because they don’t own their first pick, Hawks are a worry though!!
True. Collingwood are just s**t i guess. Massive leg up for gws. Likely a missed opportunity by us. Hopefully pies get some players back from injury soon. Pick 3 could see us missing out on one of the two SA potential guns. Would offer North pick 3 and a player to hopefully get Horne.

Last edited:

Top 10 priority picks of the 2000s:

Cuppla fair players?

1. Chris Judd (West Coast)
  2. Nick Riewoldt (St Kilda)
  3. Luke Hodge (Hawthorn)
  4. Alex Rance (Richmond)
  5. Jarryd Roughead (Hawthorn)
  6. Adam Cooney (Western Bulldogs)
  7. Luke Shuey (West Coast)
  8. Marc Murphy (Carlton)
  9. Dale Thomas (Collingwood)
  10. Luke Ball (St Kilda)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There shouldn't be such a thing as a uniform "Priority Pick", however the AFL should reserve the right to offer "Draft Assistance" to any club in dire need.

North certainly don't qualify. Made prelims recently. Some good youngsters on list. Haven't actually finished last yet.

Cuppla fair players?

3. Luke Hodge (Hawthorn)
  4. Alex Rance (Richmond)
  8. Marc Murphy (Carlton)
  10. Luke Ball (St Kilda)
If they dish out a PP to north and not us assuming we struggle to get wins from here for the rest of the season, I would be all for the club seeking a court injunction or something...anything to try and prevent the AFL issuing one. It would be just about the last straw if they did - the biggest kick in the teeth to our club the AFL could give considering the lack of wins we have also had in the same time North have been poor

If they dish out a PP to north and not us assuming we struggle to get wins from here for the rest of the season, I would be all for the club seeking a court injunction or something...anything to try and prevent the AFL issuing one. It would be just about the last straw if they did - the biggest kick in the teeth to our club the AFL could give considering the lack of wins we have also had in the same time North have been poor

No way they will get one. The hypocritical bleating from Kennett will be reason enough not to givd one.

you know where all this is leading dont you..

“poor north melbourne come last and cant get not only the best player in the draft... but also miss out on the next best too.”.... “they surely need to be compensated for this with a PP”

completely ignoring the 2020 drafts number 1 player didnt go to the team with pick 1 or course.

Imagine the dogs getting pick 1 last year when they finished 7th and in the finals and then pick 1 again this year and they might win the whole shooting match. Fair and equitable the AFL most certainly are not

Cuppla fair players?

3. Luke Hodge (Hawthorn)
  4. Alex Rance (Richmond)
  8. Marc Murphy (Carlton)
  10. Luke Ball (St Kilda)

On this, while these blokes were all considered ‘priority picks’, most of them aren’t actually who the club in question got because of the pick

IE Riewoldt in 2000 was pick 1, priority, and Koschitzke was round one pick 1 - pick 2.

But if St Kilda didn’t have a priority pick, they’d have had just pick one, and selected Riewoldt with it. And Koschitzke would have been the one they missed.

List looks a little weaker that way. Still some good players - like Franklin (who hawks wouldn’t have got if not for the PP - they picked Roughead first), but instead of Deledio and Griffen, it was Tambling and Tom Williams etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Imagine the dogs getting pick 1 last year when they finished 7th and in the finals and then pick 1 again this year and they might win the whole shooting match. Fair and equitable the AFL most certainly are not
Looks like the Doggies have a superior gene pool in their former gun players, certainly better than our former guns anyhow? ;) .

Luke Darcy's dad David played for Captained and coached the Panthers and Luke also played for the Panthers and is a Rostrevor old boy..;)

Looks like the Doggies have a superior gene pool in their former gun players, certainly better than our former guns anyhow? ;) .

Luke Darcy's dad David played for Captained and coached the Panthers and Luke also played for the Panthers and is a Rostrevor old boy..;)
My younger lad is quite proud of the footy players that have come out of his school...except for Jonas of course :D

Seems like they get a decent F/S every single year.

Same with Collingwood.

Crow till I die What ya reckon we finally have a gun father/son coming through down the track and the VAFL scrap the Father/Son Rule just like the NGA rule that will likely see us miss out on Isaac Keeler next year. :think:

Speaking ahead of the draft last year, former Fremantle coach Ross Lyon supported Hawthorn coach Alastair Clarkson’s complaints about the draft being compromised.

“We talk about integrity within the competition. The draft, based on that, has lost its integrity,” Lyon said on Footy Classified.

“Doesn’t it highlight that clubs should invest and develop players and put them into the pool. That’s not what we’re doing are we? We’re developing them if we get them.”

Lyon was also in favour of scrapping the father-son rule in an effort to even out the competition more.

“In my view, get rid of father-son,” he said.

“Let‘s get equality in the competition. We’ve got too many clubs struggling.”

Crow till I die What ya reckon we finally have a gun father/son coming through down the track and the VAFL scrap the Father/Son Rule just like the NGA rule that will likely see us miss out on Isaac Keeler next year. :think:

Speaking ahead of the draft last year, former Fremantle coach Ross Lyon supported Hawthorn coach Alastair Clarkson’s complaints about the draft being compromised.

“We talk about integrity within the competition. The draft, based on that, has lost its integrity,” Lyon said on Footy Classified.

“Doesn’t it highlight that clubs should invest and develop players and put them into the pool. That’s not what we’re doing are we? We’re developing them if we get them.”

Lyon was also in favour of scrapping the father-son rule in an effort to even out the competition more.

“In my view, get rid of father-son,” he said.

“Let‘s get equality in the competition. We’ve got too many clubs struggling.”
you referring to Scott Welsh's son there I am guessing

And you just know it that if he is eligible in 2024 that the F/S rule will if not be scrapped just before, changed to prevent F/S kids being protected inside the 1st round and maybe that is where Welsh's lad sits then...I made the point before and make it again, since when has anything the AFL done in terms of the draft and list building ever worked out for us instead of having us come off poorer. I honestly can't think of anything this century that has worked in our favor but plenty that has hurt us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back