List Mgmt. 2021 Draft picks: 4/33/75

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want Horne as number one priority. Don't think we can get both.
Dylan Stephens and Jason Horne would be the ideal off season.
you just get the feeling Horne is going to be a super player at AFL level. Just a real hard nut with an all round game. And yeah, if we could somehow trade for Stephens without giving up the earth pick wise to give him a fresh start on a wing here, I'd be for that

you just get the feeling Horne is going to be a super player at AFL level. Just a real hard nut with an all round game. And yeah, if we could somehow trade for Stephens without giving up the earth pick wise to give him a fresh start on a wing here, I'd be for that
Have you watched Stephens play this year ......Hately MK2 ....can't hold a spot in a rebuilding SYD

Yet Swans 3 recruits from last year have all played the majority of games and had an impact .......Stephens has been very disappointing

I would rather Tilthorpe over Jamara.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
My, doesn't 6 months change opinions .....Jamara has me nervous regarding his attitude ....Will Phillips I just can't see the hype .....Thilthorpe proving the wise choice

My, doesn't 6 months change opinions .....Jamara has me nervous regarding his attitude ....Will Phillips I just can't see the hype .....Thilthorpe proving the wise choice
Tom Powell looking the shrewd pickup by North. Looks like a pro already

I do think Phillips will end up good, but would not be surprised at all now if Powell ends up the much better player, having watched him at the top level this year

Tom Powell looking the shrewd pickup by North. Looks like a pro already

I do think Phillips will end up good, but would not be surprised at all now if Powell ends up the much better player, having watched him at the top level this year
Powell is a ripper .....going to be Neale like

what, besides out dated nostalgia, is behind your thing with Stephens?

it must pre-date his drafting because nothing since explains it
He only played seniors less than 2 weeks ago had 15d and a goal.
Is a light body so was always a 2-3 year prospect to get to the standard.
Pick 5 from SA. Classy outside winger that we need.

He only played seniors less than 2 weeks ago had 15d and a goal.
Is a light body so was always a 2-3 year prospect to get to the standard.
Pick 5 from SA. Classy outside winger that we need.
Just go get Mitch O'Neil in the MSD, very, very similar player from the same draft and he now appears to be over his troublesome ankle issues that have plagued him. Building nicely in the SANFL after being rookie delisted by the WCE after just the 1 season. B.O.G. for the Panthers on the weekend and watching that game certainly still has his speed and agility.

Worth remembering Mitch was an U18 All Australian in 2018 and 2019 until his ankle intervened.

Free hit at the MSD so essentially we get to try before we buy and he immediately adds the outside run option we sadly lack.

1620783777933.png

STRENGTHS:
Outside run
Balanced ball-winner
Skilful
Athleticism
Decision-making
Vision
IMPROVEMENTS:
Durability
Size/strength
Scoreboard Impact
O’Neill is a similar player to Zach Merrett, where his best attributes are best utilised on the outside of the contest. He is very neat by foot and he is a very good decision maker – whether he is under pressure or not – and showed in the Allies’ game against Western Australia that he can take the game on with some penetrating kicks from bursting runs down the middle of the ground. He is exactly the type of player you want to have ball in hand as much as possible, especially when directing the ball inside 50 to leading forwards. O’Neill can also win the pill on the inside and is not afraid to put his head over the ball to win first possession in tight situations. He is clean by hand and has fantastic vision, so he is able to distribute the ball effectively to his teammates who are playing on the outside. O’Neill also has the potential to rack up huge numbers on the stat sheet, which was evident in Tasmania’s Round 3 victory over the NT Thunder in the NAB League when he gathered 35 disposals (21 kicks). It Is also worth noting that he spent the majority of the second half of that match on the pine after receiving a head knock.
However, O’Neill still lacks the consistency to perform week in week out given his unlucky run with injuries, in particular a niggling ankle. He may still be a handy contributor in every match he plays, but he’ll definitely be looking to have more of a damaging impact on games on a regular basis once he can build his match fitness and get a clean run at it again. Another area of improvement would be his ability to push forward to hit the scoreboard. If he is wanting to play predominately on the outside (wing) at the next level, he will be needing to add another dimension to his game and goal-scoring will be one thing he will be eager to work on. He finished with just the two goals for the season, which both came in Tasmania’s Round 8 match against the Dandenong Stingrays. O’Neill is still a first-round talent on potential, and was highly rated coming into his draft season as the Devils’ leading prospect. Injuries have set his draft position back a little, so it’ll be interesting to see exactly where he goes come draft night.
DRAFT RANGE: 20-35

1620797066744.png

Last edited:
For stats fiends/phantom recruiters, here are the top 50 (by DT average/minimum of 3 games) in the SANFL this year... Anybody worth looking at for the Mid-Season draft?

1620789691486.png

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like that idea GreyCrow . We have the potential to be looking at some other players to bring home in the next few years so let's not wait with this one. I'm keen to offer up a bit to get Horne, mids are very important to us and North seem to have plenty.. I'd be ok with giving them our 1st this year and next for their 2nd in either year to get Horne done. Assuming we would be around 14-17 this year and 12-15 the year after.

Still burying their heads in the sand, and refusing to fix the problems which made the draft go for so long in the first place. :thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:
For us Footy Nuts who crave footy, any footy ......I'll happily grab a 2 day Draft

Oh come on, this is just Tin Foil Hat sorta stuff. There’s no big conspiracy against us or non Vic teams. The AFL don’t need to screw us over, we do a mighty fine job of it ourselves.
Just to completely demonstrate the point - Guess which club didn't get to benefit from the one-time-only changing of the rules last year....? Screen Shot 2021-05-12 at 3.30.52 pm.png

Just to completely demonstrate the point - Guess which club didn't get to benefit from the one-time-only changing of the rules last year....?View attachment 1125374

Next, you'll say the docklands roof was open for a game, so the AFL is out to get us.

The only thing I could think of here that you've linked is we lost the opportunity to organise trade for the 1st pick in the 2nd round. A pick we'd already had traded by the start of the 2nd round to get Cook (and was on traded by Collingwood to Fremantle to show how it had no impact whatsoever). Considering our love of shuffling draft picks, we weren't moving on Berry unless something ridiculous was offered to us (and even then, we might not have just due to Berry looking like a very good prospect at the moment).

To call that "the AFL is out to get us" is not so much a stretch, but straight out wrong.

Next, you'll say the docklands roof was open for a game, so the AFL is out to get us.

The only thing I could think of here that you've linked is we lost the opportunity to organise trade for the 1st pick in the 2nd round. A pick we'd already had traded by the start of the 2nd round to get Cook (and was on traded by Collingwood to Fremantle). Considering we didn't move on the Berry pick, I doubt we were entertaining moving it regardless.
For the last few years, clubs have openly said how valuable that first pick of the 2nd round is as clubs get a chance to look over the draft and make some offers. You often get much more for that pick than you would for the few picks before it.

In the year we get the chance to take advantage of that, the rules are changed and we don't have two days, so we don't get the chance to make a beneficial trade. The AFL then immediately go back to two days. So it was literally changed the one year we might benefit, then immediately changed back.

Now of course you can argue it is a coincidence etc..., but there is a fairly long line of AFL decisions that just happen to screw us over come draft and trade time. They can't all just be coincidences...

The only thing I could think of here that you've linked is we lost the opportunity to organise trade for the 1st pick in the 2nd round. A pick we'd already had traded by the start of the 2nd round to get Cook (and was on traded by Collingwood to Fremantle to show how it had no impact whatsoever). Considering our love of shuffling draft picks, we weren't moving on Berry unless something ridiculous was offered to us (and even then, we might not have just due to Berry looking like a very good prospect at the moment).

To call that "the AFL is out to get us" is not so much a stretch, but straight out wrong.
Its more like every decision they make seems to put us in a poorer position.
Go back a few years

Rendell makes a comment about indigenous kids that was taken way out of context - net result, AFL (Demetriou) pressures Adelaide to do something, Trigg folds like a deck of cards and sacks Rendell. Not too long after, Collingwood pick him up and crickets from Demetriou - no outrage

Dean bailey becomes our assistant coach. The same time Melbourne get hit for tanking but no punishments to them just to Dean Bailey who we lose as our coach. Melbourne walk away none the worse and we are down an assistant for a season. Other clubs do wrong and the AFL wack us.

We put our necks on the line to do the pick swap with Carlton and end up with pick 3 which due to Melbourne locking in on Luke Jackson a long way out would have netted us Noah Anderson - what a big leg up to our team that would be. Nut no, the AFL against the wishes of the crows decide to give GC a front ended PP and we miss out and are then left in limbo with no real standouts at pick 4.

We finish bottom and get pick 1 so get first crack at the very best player in the draft... but no, the only year in recent memory where the 'supposed' best player in the comp is tied to an academy and is unavailable to us.

The AFL announce changes to the Academy listed players so it looks like any club from now on won't be at the disadvantage we were in the last draft..but lo..look and see as next year they are making the academy kids selected inside rounds 1 and 2 unable to be matched..just as it looks like we might finally benefit from it with the young ruck from Port Augusta looking like he might be a 1st round pick.

Now the AFL decide to have the draft go over 2 nights again - the 1 year it wasn't was the 1 year we had the golden 1st pick at the start of the 2nd round and it has shown it held more value due to the break. We were denied the chance to even consider what the options would be regardless of who we ended up taking

It just seems that the AFL seem to do us no favors and good things just happen for other clubs

For the last few years, clubs have openly said how valuable that first pick of the 2nd round is as clubs get a chance to look over the draft and make some offers. You often get much more for that pick than you would for the few picks before it.

In the year we get the chance to take advantage of that, the rules are changed and we don't have two days, so we don't get the chance to make a beneficial trade. The AFL then immediately go back to two days. So it was literally changed the one year we might benefit, then immediately changed back.

Now of course you can argue it is a coincidence etc..., but there is a fairly long line of AFL decisions that just happen to screw us over come draft and trade time. They can't all just be coincidences...

There are only two drafts where the first pick of the 2nd round was moved where that was the prize and not steak knives in a live draft. Adelaide to GWS where we got a 2nd round pick for a 5th for a 4 pick downgrade (but then, we're dealing with GWS who didn't exactly need draft picks), and in the 2020 draft where Fremantle upgraded a 4th to a 3rd to move up 3 spots to it. It isn't a golden goose and never has been. It's been traded more times as a downgrade/steak knife than it is as the goal.

You're also arguing that we get sucked into this mythical value and don't trade it to get Cook, and history tells you one thing, we'll trade it to get Cook because it just does not have the value you're pretending it does.

The only value you could argue is it gives clubs a chance to have a breather, and also allows the AFL to spend more time wanking about the 1st round.

Its more like every decision they make seems to put us in a poorer position.
Go back a few years

Rendell makes a comment about indigenous kids that was taken way out of context - net result, AFL (Demetriou) pressures Adelaide to do something, Trigg folds like a deck of cards and sacks Rendell. Not too long after, Collingwood pick him up and crickets from Demetriou - no outrage

Dean bailey becomes our assistant coach. The same time Melbourne get hit for tanking but no punishments to them just to Dean Bailey who we lose as our coach. Melbourne walk away none the worse and we are down an assistant for a season. Other clubs do wrong and the AFL wack us.

We put our necks on the line to do the pick swap with Carlton and end up with pick 3 which due to Melbourne locking in on Luke Jackson a long way out would have netted us Noah Anderson - what a big leg up to our team that would be. Nut no, the AFL against the wishes of the crows decide to give GC a front ended PP and we miss out and are then left in limbo with no real standouts at pick 4.

We finish bottom and get pick 1 so get first crack at the very best player in the draft... but no, the only year in recent memory where the 'supposed' best player in the comp is tied to an academy and is unavailable to us.

The AFL announce changes to the Academy listed players so it looks like any club from now on won't be at the disadvantage we were in the last draft..but lo..look and see as next year they are making the academy kids selected inside rounds 1 and 2 unable to be matched..just as it looks like we might finally benefit from it with the young ruck from Port Augusta looking like he might be a 1st round pick.

Now the AFL decide to have the draft go over 2 nights again - the 1 year it wasn't was the 1 year we had the golden 1st pick at the start of the 2nd round and it has shown it held more value due to the break. We were denied the chance to even consider what the options would be regardless of who we ended up taking

It just seems that the AFL seem to do us no favors and good things just happen for other clubs

Yeah, no. Complaining about the draft moving back to two days apparently screwing us over (ignoring we have already traded that pick by the time the 2nd round happened) is just looking for an excuse to perpetuate a victim complex.

It ain't a golden pick clubs pay a premium for, that's just PR. It's just a 2nd round pick.

Last edited:
There are only two drafts where the first pick of the 2nd round was moved where that was the prize and not steak knives in a live draft. Adelaide to GWS where we got a 2nd round pick for a 5th for a 4 pick downgrade (but then, we're dealing with GWS who didn't exactly need draft picks), and in the 2020 draft where Fremantle upgraded a 4th to a 3rd to move up 3 spots to it. It isn't a golden goose and never has been. It's been traded more times as a downgrade/steak knife than it is as the goal.

You're also arguing that we get sucked into this mythical value and don't trade it to get Cook, and history tells you one thing, we'll trade it to get Cook because it just does not have the value you're pretending it does.

Yeah, no. Complaining about the draft moving back to two days apparently screwing us over (ignoring we have already traded that pick by the time the 2nd round happened) is just looking for an excuse to perpetuate a victim complex.

It ain't a golden pick clubs pay a premium for, that's just PR. It's just a 2nd round pick.
But if the draft had not been a 1 day event, how can you say we would have already traded that pick. If we knew the draft was going to be as normal over 2 days, then the club may have worked a very different strategy..we will never know because we were never given the chance that other clubs have had with that pick on a normal 2 day draft period

But if the draft had not been a 1 day event, how can you say we would have already traded that pick. If we knew the draft was going to be as normal over 2 days, then the club may have worked a very different strategy..we will never know because we were never given the chance that other clubs have had with that pick on a normal 2 day draft period

It wouldn't have been any different, and it's as cut and dry as it gets.

We know this because Brayden Cook would have been available in that scenario and we'd have the opportunity to grab him. We clearly rated Cook heads and shoulders above everyone available at that portion of the draft, because we actively traded for him. No one makes live trades because of the thrill of it.

And it's been traded before, multiple times, so a club could achieve their goals of getting a player they wanted. Brisbane in '17 and Port in '18.

Last edited:
At this point of the season its looking like a foregone conclusion that Horne is pick 1 (or 2 if Daicos is bid on). We could go all in with our first pick this year and whatever else is needed to satisfy North so that we can grab Horne. I think we still have too many holes in our list to be spending that sort of capital on 1 player though.

My suggestion is, we grab a couple of Hornes partners in crime the last few seasons in South mids Matty Roberts and Arlo Draper. I think we finish 16th giving us pick 3, if Roberts keeps going at the standard he has been that could be the pick to land him. Draper I'm not as sure where he goes, potentially around 8-18. I love mids who can win there own ball and kick goals, something these two are great at. Horne being a standout talent is somewhat overshadowing Roberts and Draper, for now anyway. There's a lot of water to go under the bridge this year and there will inevitable be great prospects from the other states, but I think we would be fools not to capitalize on the current boom in S.A. talent that is coming through lately. In a couple of years we could look at bringing Horne back with a godfather offer, and I'm still really keen on Rankine.

Some further reading:

Draper

Roberts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back