Autopsy Round 9 vs Dees. Blues never in it and Cunners does a knee

Remove this Banner Ad

Three players that were flying under Bolton - and like almost every new kid - ruined under Teague. Teague has blooded ONE national draft player drafted since becoming coach.

Teague has beaten only 4 different teams since round 7 last year. He has beaten 2 - maybe 3 teams in the top 8 since becoming coach.

I think Teague is an absolute GUN at understanding the game and tactically how to win - he is an absolute, unmittigated disaster at placing trust in the kids, developing the kids and getting the best out of our playing group as a team.

Its a massive shame - as I absolutely love his approach outside of his obstinance on players.
This has been brought up before, but who could he have blooded since being named coach...? Kemp and Philp are injured, but he played Philp (albeit for a couple games, but bloke was a super skinny kid in his first year). Ramsay was an even skinnier third round draft pick, he's not ready yet. For this year's draftees Carroll only just played a (not full) game at VFL last week, and durdin is pick 40 in his first year as a lil fella. Who would you have played out of those?

On CPH1877 using BigFooty.com mobile app

We are trying to develop players to replace veterans who are retiring - and yes these kids are actually putting in better games than the senior players whose roles they would take.

What is crazy is people who clearly aren't following these kids at all - and just think a kid has to play like Chris Judd to get a game - thats crazy mate.

The output of Gibbo, Newnes, Murphy, Levi, Setters, and Pitto is absolutely worthwhile trying these kids. They do not have to play like G. Abblett to outperform the players in the seniors who are CLEARLY not out performing these kids.

We are already playing a lot of guys who are inexperienced (below 50 games)

Parks (5 games)
Cottrell (12 games)
Owies (4 games)
Cuningham (41 games)
Fogarty (32 games)
Pittonet (29 games)
Setterfield (40 games)
Stocker (9 games)

We did drop Newnes and Gibbo, Gibbo only came in because Cuningham went down.

Thing is who comes in for the following?

Pittonet (I thought he was fine today, we won the clearances too, a fully up and going TDK may eventually replace him, but he’s still only played 29 games himself, it’s not impossible for him to improve)

Gibbons (has a crack but is limited, we may move beyond him soon enough)

Murphy (near the end I thought he was ok today actually, people just angry at him and see him as a lightning rod to criticism of all that’s wrong with 21st century carlton)

Levi (I don’t like it anymore than the next person, but there is no one on the list who exists who can play the role of Levi. He is struggling with injury, but still has a physical presence and provides a contest)

Setters (who is a young guy people have been clamouring to be given a game, until he gets a game and people see he isn’t very good)

So seems the following are in contention for selection who didn’t play today:

Dow (did okish for a quarter against Essendon but playing vfl last week didn’t set the world on fire. Really should be dominating 2s at this point)

LOB (average r1 v Richmond, hasn’t really been better than ok in vfl)

TDK (coming back from long injury lay off, I’m sure we will see him soon in seniors)

Williamson (been dreadful both AFL and vfl level this year)

Ramsay (showing promise but still very skinny, probably gets a game in the back half of the season)

SPS (I’d be playing him ahead of gibbons and Newnes, hasn’t played vfl yet this year)

Kennedy (backup at best, will be delisted end of year, has been given enough chances to know what we get from him)

Honey (worth a go at some point, but hardly knocking the door down for selection. With our forward line decimated I think worth a go if JSOS isn’t right)

Carroll/Durdin (neither ready yet)

Going through that I think many will get a chance this year but not all at once.

Last edited:

My side for this week against Hawthorn

Marchbank Jones Newman
Docherty Weitering Saad
LOB Cripps Williams
Fisher. Curnow. Martin
Honey McKay. McGovern

TDK Walsh. Cuningham

Stocker. Levi. Curnow Jack/Owies/Betts

Sub: Parks

(Therapeutic)

100% was his best one. Also interesting that the plan was to play Cunnigham as a negating forward on Lever.

If that was the plan, this coaching group are bonkers. You don't use your offensively gifted players like that, give that job to a battler like Gibbons, Cottrell, Newnes, Fogarty, etc.

I mentioned it in the GameDay thread at the time. Pretty much only Newman gave him the time of day.

I was so shocked I had to check his stats to make sure it was his first goal. It was disgraceful.

Reminiscent of Cripps kicking his 1st against the Stains in 2015 to no reaction whatsoever from his teammates. The ingredients are there for Season 2021 to take a dark turn over the next month.

its not over by a long shot. We are roughly where we should be. i dont think anyone believed that we are a top 4 side- fringe 8 was/is the consensus .
The only really disappointing result IMo was the magpies. All the rest of the games have gone according to expectations (marked red) The very winnable games are marked green. We definitely have a good run home
View attachment 1129473
Like the optimism but Blues have the lowest winning percentage of any Victorian team at Marvel stadium (3rd lowest overall) so to win all 5 of our remaining games there is fanciful.

Don't know if it's Teague, the assistants, or all of them, but the coaching group is ****ed. No structure going forward at all. The disparity in quality between our and Melbourne's game plans was as clear and painful as a kick in the spuds.

Last edited:
no, but I have noticed umpires award penalties and they call them "free kicks"
has anybody approached them during the week and asked if we can "buy" a bunch of them?
Clearly the Melbourne FC stockbokers and 'old money' outbid us this week. H needs a payrise so he can buy a few free's

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Point 1. This argument about leaking multiple goals every week is becoming tedious, this has always happened to teams when they lose games. You've been sucked in by the media's latest thing.

Do you remember a couple of years ago when the narrative week in week out was that Carlton hadn't scored 100 points in a game since......( even though most teams were failing to score 100 points at that time) Once we did it once this very important indicator of the value of a team has rarely been mentioned again.

Point 2. No doubt that we have problems that are structural but even when the best teams are losing their structures have fallen down and they look ordinary.

Football is far more simple a game than people like to make it out to be. If you aren't good enough nothing anybody does will have you beating the very best teams.

If Teague goes at this stage we will be back at rock bottom. Get him the proper support and give him the opportunity to succeed, it's the only option we should be looking at.

Yep, it’s a lot of moving deck chairs on the titanic at the moment.

Get clearances right, then less run on outside.

If we put more emphasis on defence we’d probably not be likely to score.

So yes, we’d just lose in a different manner.

Rapidly losing interest. When the club dishes up the same stuff week after week after week expecting a different outcome...well it’s just stupidity.

Teague is probably a ripper of a bloke but I’m not convinced he’s capable of transitioning to the next level with his coaching. There seems to be very little match awareness and proactive coaching and as an opposition coach, you’d have to love playing against us.

Really disheartening. We’ve obviously got some injuries but at this point I’m really not certain that’s make a huge difference.

Hope I’m wrong. Doubt that I am.

probably true cas wouldn't have made 150 on any other club list..........
On another list, he might be a premiership player like Matt Spanger.

Sometimes, you've just got to appreciate the player you got, and we have had precious few over the past decade.

Can't find a side that has played a tougher draw in the first 9 rounds?

The back half of the draw is not that much easy either we won't make the 8...

We have tough games
  • Sydney (A) (6th)
  • Eagles (H) (7th)
  • Giants (A) (9th)
  • Fremantle (A) (10th)
  • Geelong (H) (3rd)
  • Saints (A) (11th)
  • Port (A) (5th)
  • Giants (H) (9th)
Best I can see us being is 7-9 wins

💯
Pitto - would be worst ruck in comp
Cottrell - is a poor mans mitch Robinson and simply not good enough.
Murphy -Should have retired last year
Gibbons - Is not a small forward
Parks - Goid trier, but not sure that’s enough
Levi - Was okay today, but is so unreliable.

that’s my bottom 6.
Thank you. Someone agrees with me. Cottrell is like the Kmart version of Mitch. Sure he tries hard but he just doesn't have the skills to cut it at AFL level.

My father is a lifelong Footscray supporter and he grew up in Gordon Street Footscray.
They won their first Premiership when he was four and their next at 66.

Never heard the sulking off him that appears in here or online.
20 years!! Is that all?

How about the undefeated club that just beat us? Bit longer than that mate!

I remember in the past, and as recent as this pre season, the arrogance towards certain clubs on this board when we have no right to be!

Two of these clubs have beaten us in the past two weeks and we don't take that well do we??
Well ill give ya tip, they are better than us right now, and only the most deluded supporter would've had as a a better than average chance given injury, form and ladder position to beat them!
Yet the outrage is deafening!

The club know where we're at.
Obviously the goal posts have shifted from round one, but players dont injure themselves on purpose and a bad form patch is just that.
Its temporary!
And one compounds the other!

Many seem to be frustrated at their club's inability to fulfil their lofty pre season expectations without the sense to see that things have changed personnel wise since then.
This must be taken into account!

And before anyone says 'depth', maybe with many of our best 22 missing or out of form, the fact that we're still in matches late, proves we have it.

...lastly, supporting a club through thick and thin is what it's all about.
It makes the sweet days sweeter.

People live their whole lives supporting teams that dont win flags. You're obviously young enough, so don't chuck the toys outta the cot just yet.

We've all waited the same length of time.
(If born prior to 1995)
Or there's dumb campaigners like myself who for my whole living memory haven't seen anything good sustainably from this club yet still support heart on sleeve. fu** me I'm allowed to be frustrated. Nothing fairweather about it at this point.

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

you have a squad that isn't improving and looks like it will regress collectively rapidly
It appears players in the younger bracket have gone backwards. As I said last week, addressing these younger player issues are urgent
Are they up to it is NOT a decision for this current football department. That needs to be replaced carefully, firstly to immediately remove
any emotional player-coach emotional "obligations" Meaning, and inability to make hard decisions. Secondly, I don't want players turfed, going to a good club for nothing, with adequate development and turning into stars.
The only benefit of finishing low for so long is the equalization of the draft. We've got this wrong for a decade and a half.

Privately assembling an external task force to get the best development/ line coaches in (not available, best)
setting up the best identification of talent chain in the land

Ross lyon on our terms, not his

I think this year is a bit of a perfect storm of a few factors:

Chickens come home to roost on LOB, Dow, SPS and Setters not being the players we’d hoped.

Injuries to actual good players who we know can contribute in Charlie, Marchbank, Fisher, JSOS, Martin, TDK and even bloody Gov showed a bit in his 3 games.

Potential guys we’d like to see more of haven’t had much of a run at it in the VFL or at all in Philp, Kemp and Carroll

Backup tall omac injured too

Then because of the above having to battle on with guys carrying injuries in Levi, Cripps, Saad and Williams which are magnified even more due to other injuries.

There has also been a decline in output of fringe guys in Newnes, Gibbons and further decline from last year of Murphy. (Eddie also on his last legs but has put in some very good performances last 3 weeks, looked cooked after half time today though)

Just the way things go sometimes, was always a chance of things didn’t go our way this year we’d end up teetering bottom 6 (draw has turned out to be rather brutal with 3 of last years top 4 and the current top 2 sides), we might be able to string some wins together against lower sides, but I don’t see the hawthorn game as much more than a 50-50 game for us.

2 years without playing. He hurts himself

We have had the weakest draw since 2017. We play:
Melbourne twice-finalist
Collingwood twice-will not play finals
Fremantle twice- will not play finals
Port Power- twice-finalist
G/Coast twice- will not play finals
GWS twice-borderline finalist
We play all of the other teams once.
Our draw has been very generous. Next year it will be harder.

We haven’t got around to playing those sides twice yet, just our first 9 weeks has been tougher than most (doesn’t mean we haven’t been underwhelming though)

Don't know if it's Teague, the assistants, or all of them, but the coaching group is f’ed. No structure going forward at all. The disparity in quality between our and Melbourne's game plans was as clear and painful as a kick in the spuds.

I'm glad you said this. Been obvious for weeks.

Or they are being led to believe 1 thing by the coach then he goes against what he has told them.

Expect to see SPS, Dow and maybe LOB walk at the end of the year

Walk Xavier Richards style? Then play VFL?

SPS would get picked up, Dow maybe rookied at best, LOB next to no chance of anyone picking him up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back