Apple Isle Showdown: Tas Govt threatens to end Hawks, North deals if no plan for 19th side

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think bringing in a 19th team should be seen as a positive for the league for a few different reasons:
  • More broadcast $$$ (11 extra home and away games each year)
  • A lot of the footy department staff who lost their jobs last year would get them back with an extra club to run
  • Likewise, the 36 list spots lost when lists were cut would return (list numbers would be pretty much equal with 2020)
  • Clubs would get an extra bye to help with fatigue/high injury rates

A way for the AFL to appease the masses is to state they are not ready to expand past 18 teams at the moment, but that they will give the people of Tasmania a guarantee that the next location of any change to the competition will involve a team from Tasmania. It also opens the door for relocation of a vic club if they choose to stay at 18 for a bit longer.

A way for the AFL to appease the masses is to state they are not ready to expand past 18 teams at the moment, but that they will give the people of Tasmania a guarantee that the next location of any change to the competition will involve a team from Tasmania. It also opens the door for relocation of a vic club if they choose to stay at 18 for a bit longer.
They've already done this several times.

I think bringing in a 19th team should be seen as a positive for the league for a few different reasons:
  • A lot of the footy department staff who lost their jobs last year would get them back with an extra club to run
  • Likewise, the 36 list spots lost when lists were cut would return (list numbers would be pretty much equal with 2020)

We have enough players for 16 teams of quality. 19th team will be state league standard.

Yeah I understand Fitzroy didn’t technically merge my point was due to Tasmania being already a 100% afl state unlike Sydney if a club relocated here for them to get support they would need to change so much about the relocated club they would loose a lot of there identity and supporters similar to Fitzroy Tasmania would not go for a rebranded Tasmanian kangaroos or any other club
They would - eventually. Like in a generation or so. But not immediately, as you state.

If a North (as an example) were sent down to Tassie to represent the state, I can't imagine too many of the Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon, St Kilda, Richmond, Bulldogs, Swans, Hawks, Melbourne, Geelong, Fitzroy (converted to Brisbane) supporters down there getting behind them. North is an opposition club to them, and always has been.

You are going to have to wait for those supporters to die out.

Now, I get how it takes a generation (or more) for support to develop for an AFL club in a non-AFL area. Eg Sydney, Brisbane.

But it's an absurdity for that time frame to occur in an AFL area like Tassie. You would want immediate traction there. Relocating a club is not the way to achieve that.

You can imagine how Perth and Adelaide would have reacted if the AFL plunked a struggling Melbourne club at the time in each of those areas and said "well guys, this is your team now" - instead of the Eagles and Crows starting up.

Last edited:
They've already done this several times.

Not formally they haven't. This needs to be an iron clad agreement which they can't back away from. It means any aspirations the AFL has to expand in the future must first involve a team playing out of tassie full time.

11 extra games?

Not formally they haven't. This needs to be an iron clad agreement which they can't back away from. It means any aspirations the AFL has to expand in the future must first involve a team playing out of tassie full time.
That won't appease Tasmania.

This would appeal to nobody.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That would be a joke after port Adelaide entered in 1997 we were promised by the afl then that we would be next then they decided to expand to two other areas despite what they said no one in Tasmania including our government have any trust whatsoever in the afls words or promises unless there prepared to put something in a contract

Surely there needs to be a time frame put in place though which is what we’re asking for now even if they promised were next it could be 20-30 years. And we all know the afl are not great at sticking to agreements look at all the things they promised Fitzroy when that went down but barely stuck to any of them

That would be a joke after port Adelaide entered in 1997 we were promised by the afl then that we would be next then they decided to expand to two other areas despite what they said no one in Tasmania including our government have any trust whatsoever in the afls words or promises unless there prepared to put something in a contract

That's what i mean, needs to be contracted so they can't back out of it. If they did try it would be exorbitant legal costs for the AFL to contest it, making it not worthwhile for the AFL to back out.

Such a sniveling douchebag post. Actually add something worthwhile to the discussion or GTFO.

Sorry to hear you don't agree but I feel we have to many teams in Vic. These 2 teams play home games in Tasmania and have established good support and membership, so why not relocate them and bring a footy state such as Tasmania into the AFL. Anyhow, would you be so forward in saying such a thing to my face?

Sorry to hear you don't agree but I feel we have to many teams in Vic. These 2 teams play home games in Tasmania and have established good support and membership, so why not relocate them and bring a footy state such as Tasmania into the AFL. Anyhow, would you be so forward in saying such a thing to my face?
Sure. Let's relocate Carlton to Tassie then. Problem solved.

FYI SurreyBlue. You disagree with this I presume?

They would - eventually. Like in a generation or so. But not immediately, as you state.

If a North (as an example) were sent down to Tassie to represent the state, I can't imagine too many of the Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon, St Kilda, Richmond, Bulldogs, Swans, Hawks, Melbourne, Geelong, Fitzroy (converted to Brisbane) supporters down there getting behind them. North is an opposition club to them, and always has been.

You are going to have to wait for those supporters to die out.

Now, I get how it takes a generation (or more) for support to develop for an AFL club in a non-AFL area. Eg Sydney, Brisbane.

But it's an absurdity for that time frame to occur in an AFL area like Tassie. You would want immediate traction there. Relocating a club is not the way to achieve that.

You can imagine how Perth and Adelaide would have reacted if the AFL plunked a struggling Melbourne club at the time in each of those areas and said "well guys, this is your team now" - instead of the Eagles and Crows starting up.

Sure. Let's relocate Carlton to Tassie then. Problem solved.

We don't have a home ground advantage to compete with interstate teams, so no argument from me. I'd prefer a bigger supporter base like Perth, although we are strong in every state, so which every government give us the best solution, we should look at.

Yeah I understand Fitzroy didn’t technically merge my point was due to Tasmania being already a 100% afl state unlike Sydney if a club relocated here for them to get support they would need to change so much about the relocated club they would loose a lot of there identity and supporters similar to Fitzroy Tasmania would not go for a rebranded Tasmanian kangaroos or any other club

So if rebranding an existing Victorian team to a more Tasmanian identity (whatever that is) and if Tasmanians would not go for any relocated Victorian club retaining its own branding, then a 19th team is the obvious option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back