Past #32: Jacob Edwards - drafted w/ #1 in '20 MSD - delisted end '23 w/ 0 NM games & 0 NM goals

Remove this Banner Ad

Just on Edwards and the rumoured speculation he was holding out nominating due to the likelihood North would draft him when he’d rather be somewhere else.........

Absolute bulltish.

He knew he was likely to be taken by us as we’d been in his ear for ages, and he couldn’t have been more excited and happy about the prospect. He and his family were thrilled he’d be going to a Melbourne based club with a bright future and it guaranteed his schooling could continue uninterrupted. There was never the slightest indecision. All confirmed from a close family source.
What toes knows knows

The rumors that Logan McDonald will have a huge go home factor suggest we may have overlooked him for that reason. Who’s to say Horne isn’t a similar risk?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Who’s to say the rumours are true? We may just not have wanted him. Who’s to say Horne is any risk at all? Hopefully we’re in a position to find out.

Who’s to say the rumours are true? We may just not have wanted him. Who’s to say Horne is any risk at all? Hopefully we’re in a position to find out.

The club that picks him would get the farm in return anyway. It's a win-win scenario.

18 minutes in. Says a career at port is ideal.

He is mature and realistic enough, he wants to be #1 in the draft and Port is not going to be anywhere near that side of the planet.

I am sure if his form continues and we do take him that he will be professional and give it his all and that is all you could ever ask. We have a few lads from SA.

If he does want to go home at some point, it is going to be an extremely painful trade to do, duds get passed off for whatever but someone who got top 5 who is actually good, those trades generally do not work out and when they do, they do not usually favour the team they end up going to, ie Judd to Carlton. The cost is prohibitive for a proven talent.

I think him actually going to a weaker club will suit him, because he is an inside mid and he will likely take a while to blossom, if you go to a contender, they aren't going to play you in the middle. I am sure Powell would have prefered to stay in Adelaide as well, but he is here, he is getting game time in the guts and his development is moving along nicely. It must have been nice for JUH to go to a side contending, but he is getting frostbite in the VFL. It is much harder on developing kids to get that opportunity if the team they go to is contending, you have to be fortunate enough to fill a void and have immediate impact. That is a lot of pressure.

He is mature and realistic enough, he wants to be #1 in the draft and Port is not going to be anywhere near that side of the planet.

I am sure if his form continues and we do take him that he will be professional and give it his all and that is all you could ever ask. We have a few lads from SA.

If he does want to go home at some point, it is going to be an extremely painful trade to do, duds get passed off for whatever but someone who got top 5 who is actually good, those trades generally do not work out and when they do, they do not usually favour the team they end up going to, ie Judd to Carlton. The cost is prohibitive for a proven talent.

I think him actually going to a weaker club will suit him, because he is an inside mid and he will likely take a while to blossom, if you go to a contender, they aren't going to play you in the middle. I am sure Powell would have prefered to stay in Adelaide as well, but he is here, he is getting game time in the guts and his development is moving along nicely. It must have been nice for JUH to go to a side contending, but he is getting frostbite in the VFL. It is much harder on developing kids to get that opportunity if the team they go to is contending, you have to be fortunate enough to fill a void and have immediate impact. That is a lot of pressure.

He’s mates with Powell & Spicer. He won’t be leaving Melbourne for Adelaide... who the f*** would?

I think Judd is a bad example because he wanted to go home to a town with 9 clubs in it. A guy wanting to go back to Perth or Adelaide is different because you've only got two clubs to be potential suitors. If you want to get something in return you might have to accept a lowball to not risk the player walking to the PSD. It's like the situation we were in with Ben Brown, it's not analogous obviously (Brown wanted to leave, wasn't picky as to where) but we ended up having to accept less than we would've liked because only one club was interested.

That said, I don't think there's any reason to think there will necessarily be a go home factor. It's never been a big issue for us before, the clubs who have been hit hardest by it are the ones based in QLD when their sides were bottom for years and years. If anything I think a lot of young guys who come to Melbourne thinking they would like to go home end up enjoying the thrill of living in the home of footy, having more independence than they've ever had before, and hopefully getting along well with the guys around them. That's where a good club culture comes into it, and looking at our success rate with retaining players, I think we're doing well in that regard. We were one of the few clubs who didn't lose any players to GWS or GC in their expansion period, we've had many, many players over the years who are from SA or WA and had long, successful careers with the club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When you watch that you’d have to say hatred of Caro runs very deep in anyone who finds that question offensive. I think I’ve seen someone ask it in every interview with a new draftee ever.

Nah with Caro prior performance IS an indicator of future performance

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Jacob Edwards and Max Heath began their BFC careers 10 years ago in 2011, ironically enough in the same team, the Under 9 Black Tails.

Ha! One of my sons is playing for the Beauie Under 9 Black Tails this year - he was rapt to see that!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back