Toast Regional Roos Thread - Down on the farm Roos

Remove this Banner Ad

Hi all Bendigo is where i came up been a roo since birth now living in Mildura.Been years since iv'e gone to a game distance and work just wont allow it,fun fact went to primary school with Leigh Colbert his old man was our pe teacher can remember in grade 4 Leigh telling the class he was going to play vfl football like his uncle

Because the State Government aren't sure either, is the deep south Mornington Peninsula considered regional to this thread? If so, we could visit the barbershop where LDU gets his haircut, his junior home ground complete with acknowledging placard. We could visit John Spaulls' family home and have a cuppa with his dad. We could egg Dippers house and say g'day to Rohan Connolly along the way.

If not, never mind 🙃

In all seriousness, housing affordability and cost of living is a massive benifit of regional life.

Our 1st house cost us $150,000 for a basic house 20 years ago. With kids we outgrew it, so we upsized 7 years ago to a modern brick 4 bedroom, 2 living areas, 2 bathroom, double garage, outdoor entertaining area for $380,000. It's in a quiet area, 2 min walk away from a shoping centre, bakery, fish and chip shop and Thai restaurant.
I reckon my SIL has recently purchased a house in your area but she paid $470,000 for it
House prices are incredibly high now days

Hi fellow provincial Roos fans.
Moved out of Melbourne to the wild west near Horsham about 15 years ago and love it out here. Wide open spaces, plenty of jobs but not enough houses for everyone to live in who wants to live out here. Other drawback is its legacy as the * recruiting zone so a lot of * supporters here.

Followed North since I was a little tacker so over 30 years now and always complain in the member feedback about the loss of the regional membership category. Having so many matches on Sunday arvos is terrible for people who live far from Melbourne (especially with kids) but want to still financially support the club without doing our dough on paying for admission to matches we could never attend.

Also AFL continually spits in our faces by refusing to hold practice matches up here. The Wimmera worships footy but we get completely taken for granted.

I reckon my SIL has recently purchased a house in your area but she paid $470,000 for it

Moreso outside of the smoke. A 50 year old brick veneer sold for $600k this year 1 hour north of the City. We reckoned before Covid19 maybe $300k.
It’s within walking distance of up the street.

Around the corner here a house is up for $600k; 3 years ago $400 something.

Problem is you sell but then you face paying overs for a new place.

And re traffic; yes we drive longer but I don’t know how you drive 20kms in Melbourne and it takes you 45 minutes. When I (use) to go to the footy I was always shocked at how congested roads had become…on weekends

Hi fellow provincial Roos fans.
Moved out of Melbourne to the wild west near Horsham about 15 years ago and love it out here. Wide open spaces, plenty of jobs but not enough houses for everyone to live in who wants to live out here. Other drawback is its legacy as the * recruiting zone so a lot of * supporters here.

Followed North since I was a little tacker so over 30 years now and always complain in the member feedback about the loss of the regional membership category. Having so many matches on Sunday arvos is terrible for people who live far from Melbourne (especially with kids) but want to still financially support the club without doing our dough on paying for admission to matches we could never attend.

Also AFL continually spits in our faces by refusing to hold practice matches up here. The Wimmera worships footy but we get completely taken for granted.
Yep Sunday games…Saturday night games to a lesser extent…generally anything with Twilight in front of it.

Yeah, Wbool has a bit of a boom recently. My mate is a real estate agent and he can't get his hands on enough property. As soon as he gets them, they're gone within a week. Not uncommon for him to have them gone on the same day as they're listed.

You can still get good, solid, modern 3 bedroom houses with everything in them for $350-400,000

Port Fairy is ridiculous though.

Yeah, Wbool has a bit of a boom recently. My mate is a real estate agent and he can't get his hands on enough property. As soon as he gets them, they're gone within a week. Not uncommon for him to have them gone on the same day as they're listed.

You can still get good, solid, modern 3 bedroom houses with everything in them for $350-400,000

Port Fairy is ridiculous though.

Port Fairy is like a beach suburb of Toorak yeh?
Great Main Street also

Yep Sunday games…Saturday night games to a lesser extent…generally anything with Twilight in front of it.

I'm liking the Sat 4.40 slot we've had for St.Kilda and meant to be for Brissie in a few weeks.

Don't have to rush to get up early to leave and be back around 10.30-11.00 depending on food stops.

Port Fairy is like a beach suburb of Toorak yeh?
Great Main Street also

Yeah, 30 ks west. The beautiful people from Melbourne all have holiday homes overlooking the beach or the river. JB and Don MacDonald are regulars. Got some nice pubs, restaurants but everthing is overpriced.

Wat about street parking in your Towns.

We have so many empty shops for Lease because peeps are not prepared to pay coin for street parking when the big complexes offer free unlimited. Landlords don’t drop the rent so Shop owners move out.

So peeps don’t tend to go up or down the street but out to…

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wat about street parking in your Towns.

We have so many empty shops for Lease because peeps are not prepared to pay coin for street parking when the big complexes offer free unlimited. Landlords don’t drop the rent so Shop owners move out.

So peeps don’t tend to go up or down the street but out to

Yep, but our local council also put 3 pedestrian crossings a block in the main business area and made it into a single vehicle lane. Traffic bedlam in summer, when 3 blocks of traffic are banked up, giving way to people.

For anyone 1 hour from your closest State Capital City GPO to where you currently reside today.

Not yesterday, last year or in the past.

Hi. My name is Gasometer.
Followed the Roos since 1968.
Have a Full Membership after having a Country Roo Membership for a few years.

From Greater Mooroopna Victoria home of Jy Simpkin and just down the road from Sammy Wright from Katamatite.

Wear a mask when you go up the Street ‘eh?

I grew up in the Tat and went to Mooroopna Secondary.

Miss it a lot

Lived 5 minutes from Arden street, then 4 years ago we decided to move 4 hours away to East Gippsland.
When we first arrived down here there were no traffic lights in town. Now we have two sets of lights :'(.
The locals carry on when xmas and easter come around as the population goes from 6k to 50k

Lived 5 minutes from Arden street, then 4 years ago we decided to move 4 hours away to East Gippsland.
When we first arrived down here there were no traffic lights in town. Now we have two sets of lights :'(.
The locals carry on when xmas and easter come around as the population goes from 6k to 50k
Yep, where I grew up was like that 👍, all the city people flooding in

Didn't grow up here, but lived in Albury for the past 6 or 7 years. Home of Phil Baker and Paul Spargo, and spitting distance from the origins of WBC Atley, Turner and Ziebell.
Coming from Perth, was a pleasant surprise to see so many North supporters here, relic of the old zoning days. On the flip side Albury tigers dominate the O&M so a lot of Richmond flogs. I jumped on North Albury of course when I arrived, then found out bloody Aker was the coach! Sticking fat, but they're s**t. At least Aker's gone (on a side note he's been banned from every local golf course).
No paid parking, house prices were reasonable when I bought (gone through the roof lately though), get everywhere by foot or treadly, and close to Melbourne, Canberra and Sydney (ish). What's not to love? Well, long way from the beach is main drawback.
Lavy_Panther you're from round here I assume?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back