Perth Stadium (Optus Stadium)

Remove this Banner Ad

aka sports fans.
In what sense? Know people that have been to big Soccer events, that never watch and do not follow Soccer.

They are there because it's a "special event" to experience the "occasion".

They have almost no interest in the match as an sporting contest.

In what way are they a sports fan?

On moto g(6) plus using BigFooty.com mobile app

In what sense? Know people that have been to big Soccer events, that never watch and do not follow Soccer.

They are there because it's a "special event" to experience the "occasion".

They have almost no interest in the match as an sporting contest.

In what way are they a sports fan?

Sports fans go to sporting events.

sports occasion fans. Its why victory will sell out the MCG to liverpool one week, and then not long after struggle to get 20,000 at Aami Park. Or why Origin will sell out ANZ Stadium and then 3 days later will have a crowd of 8,000
Not specific to Perth though, as your examples rightly point out. That said, someone being interested in Man U but not Perth Glory doesn’t mean they are not sports fans, they just prefer elite sports.

You can define sports fan however you want I guess.

It's pretty easy really - a fan of sports.
Most sports fans are fans of one particular sport and to a lesser degree others.
A lot of sports fans would be open to going to a sporting event other than their primary focus.
I would suggest non-sports wouldn't go to a sports event unless accompanied by their partner/company/work etc

It's pretty easy really - a fan of sports.
Most sports fans are fans of one particular sport and to a lesser degree others.
A lot of sports fans would be open to going to a sporting event other than their primary focus.
I would suggest non-sports wouldn't go to a sports event unless accompanied by their partner/company/work etc
They would for an event. Which is the point.

Is it just me or is there only one beer available now at AFL matches? We used to get two but last game I went to I wondered around and it was all the same (the crappiest of the two mid strengths - Alby?). I can go to the captain's club but it's a hike...

Every stadium to date that I've been to has gone to the cheapest alcohol available to cut costs thanks to COVID wiping out millions of dollars in revenue, I suppose Optus is no exception

Every stadium to date that I've been to has gone to the cheapest alcohol available to cut costs thanks to COVID wiping out millions of dollars in revenue, I suppose Optus is no exception
There's at least four beers available in the outlets behind my regular seat -pipe dreams a gage roads larger, Albi and single fin and Atomic a pale ale ,all gage roads crafty beers.

sports occasion fans. Its why victory will sell out the MCG to liverpool one week, and then not long after struggle to get 20,000 at Aami Park. Or why Origin will sell out ANZ Stadium and then 3 days later will have a crowd of 8,000
Well put, its why level 4 soccer does not attract all soccer fans.
The F1 GP is a better example of the events crowd, or the Melbourne Cup carnival, the tennis Open.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A friendly is like ' a scratch match' of old, whatever the branding of this years AFL pre season Cup, winning is not the prime purpose of the game.

Did you really have to elaborate ?
Personally i don't see why anyone would show up for a soccer "friendly". because it's not a real game, no points up for grab, no desperation, no nothing. no point in winning, a pointless exercise etc
It's purely an exhibition game and who needs that.
A scratch match is a little bit of interest as a guide for diehard fans in the fortunes of their club.

Did you really have to elaborate ?
Personally i don't see why anyone would show up for a soccer "friendly". because it's not a real game, no points up for grab, no desperation, no nothing. no point in winning, a pointless exercise etc
It's purely an exhibition game and who needs that.
A scratch match is a little bit of interest as a guide for diehard fans in the fortunes of their club.

An AFL fan knows what to expect, so does a soccer fan, or attending a F1 practice session .... you are a good example of a fan trying to pump up your own tyres by tirelessly putting down another sport.

An AFL fan knows what to expect, so does a soccer fan, or attending a F1 practice session .

What is your aim in posting this irrelevant common knowledge.
What possessed you to explain what a friendly was ????

you are a good example of a fan trying to pump up your own tyres by tirelessly putting down another sport.

Again, what are you trying to achieve with this statement ?
I like Australian Rules Football. other sports certainly don't need my help in underperforming.

What is your aim in posting this irrelevant common knowledge.
What possessed you to explain what a friendly was ????

Again, what are you trying to achieve with this statement ?
I like Australian Rules Football. other sports certainly don't need my help in underperforming.
I too like AFL footy, a sports fan more generally, you ?

I too like AFL footy, a sports fan more generally, you ?

I like Australian Rules Football. That's Australian Rules Football generally.
When I was younger was more open to other sports but now it is question of time.
I follow my AFL team. I attend WAAFL and WAFL and even AFLW.
Previously i was an umpire, training twice a week and umpiring 2~3 games across the weekend.
That led to me umpiring and promoting overseas, which led to me playing overseas that led to me playing here back home.
Previous to all of that I was a shift worker and would surf most days when few else did.
I would watch NFL because that was played late at night and i know much about NFL.
Also Bathurst was big big in those days and motorsport in general.

Now, I play tennis, but I don't watch it much on television. Luckily I avoided golf.
I simply have no time (and inclination) to watch other sports other than when there is shyte all on television(a common event but now I have Netflix)
I have never had an interest in professional soccer though I did play it (amateur) occasionally and was very effective.
I was involved in baseball for a while and ODI's were the limit of my cricket watching.
Repetition loses interest for me in basketball, baseball, rugby league, volleyball, motor racing, horses, dogs etc.
Rugby (union) was OK when they actually passed the ball along the backline.
Netball is a good social game but it's a little too restrictive.
I don't watch others surf or compete in the snow. The Olympics hold hold very little interest.
I do watch the Tour de France but more for the scenery than the competitors. I know a lot of the rules now.
I have attended some junior American football games and they are absolutely pathetic and unattractive.

Every sport is responsible for it's own future.
Sport fans are different.
I don't like soccer fans that arrogantly try and kidnap the mantle of 'football".
I don't like soccer fans that say that we should drop AFL for soccer just because a lot of the world plays soccer.
Don't they realise that a lot of the world is dropping soccer to pick up new sports.
I don't rugby league fans that say that they hate AFL. Indifferent yes, but who can hate a sport ?
I don't like the logic of fans that put AFL down because it's "Victorian" when they themselves play an imported sport.
Most of all I dislike fans that have a logical bypass, cannot sting a sentence together if they tried, ignore basic grammar
and attribute unfounded remarks and sentiments of you.

I like Australian Rules Football. That's Australian Rules Football generally.
When I was younger was more open to other sports but now it is question of time.
I follow my AFL team. I attend WAAFL and WAFL and even AFLW.
Previously i was an umpire, training twice a week and umpiring 2~3 games across the weekend.
That led to me umpiring and promoting overseas, which led to me playing overseas that led to me playing here back home.
Previous to all of that I was a shift worker and would surf most days when few else did.
I would watch NFL because that was played late at night and i know much about NFL.
Also Bathurst was big big in those days and motorsport in general.

Now, I play tennis, but I don't watch it much on television. Luckily I avoided golf.
I simply have no time (and inclination) to watch other sports other than when there is sh*te all on television(a common event but now I have Netflix)
I have never had an interest in professional soccer though I did play it (amateur) occasionally and was very effective.
I was involved in baseball for a while and ODI's were the limit of my cricket watching.
Repetition loses interest for me in basketball, baseball, rugby league, volleyball, motor racing, horses, dogs etc.
Rugby (union) was OK when they actually passed the ball along the backline.
Netball is a good social game but it's a little too restrictive.
I don't watch others surf or compete in the snow. The Olympics hold hold very little interest.
I do watch the Tour de France but more for the scenery than the competitors. I know a lot of the rules now.
I have attended some junior American football games and they are absolutely pathetic and unattractive.

Every sport is responsible for it's own future.
Sport fans are different.
I don't like soccer fans that arrogantly try and kidnap the mantle of 'football".
I don't like soccer fans that say that we should drop AFL for soccer just because a lot of the world plays soccer.
Don't they realise that a lot of the world is dropping soccer to pick up new sports.
I don't rugby league fans that say that they hate AFL. Indifferent yes, but who can hate a sport ?
I don't like the logic of fans that put AFL down because it's "Victorian" when they themselves play an imported sport.
Most of all I dislike fans that have a logical bypass, cannot sting a sentence together if they tried, ignore basic grammar
and attribute unfounded remarks and sentiments of you.
Well done, down to grammar. A failed school bully.

Well done, down to grammar. A failed school bully.

WTF ? Are you looking into the mirror again ?

"Most of all I dislike fans that have a logical bypass, cannot sting a sentence together if they tried, ignore basic grammar
and attribute unfounded remarks and sentiments of you."
Seems like that is you.

Since Optus got built, I’ve been intrigued as to how it is meant to be expanded from 60,000 to 70,000 in AFL format.

I’ve seen images that show the extra seats are meant to come from adding rows to the back of level 5 within the existing facade.

But how easy can that be done? How does that structurally work?

Here is a panorama from the third last row on level 5 next to the video screen. A photo from the last two rows result in the skyline being blocked by the horizontal beam.

View attachment 1153269

You can see there is a bit of vertical distance between the last row and the roof, from this photo from the wing.

View attachment 1153270

So this is my guess. The red line is a bad attempt at drawing a straight line, which shows how those half high posts that don’t connect to the roof, line up with the staircases between the blocks.

The green lines show steel beams that would connect from the existing rows of seats up to those half high posts, essentially forming triangles.

The purple lines are what I would presume become the new rows of seating, with access only possible from the staircase in the centre of the triangle.

And the yellow squiggles are where there would be open gaps, because any seats in those areas would beview restricted by the roof trusses.

View attachment 1153289

Anyway, I would love to know how it is really meant to happen.

Is that part in the last picture completely open air? So when it rains, everything pictured gets wet?? Weird

Is that part in the last picture completely open air? So when it rains, everything pictured gets wet?? Weird

Correct. It does that the entire way around on level 5.

It is very bizarre. I think it has to do with wind flow, so by having it open it prevents the fabric roof from being ripped off, compared to if it was enclosed and would then act as a big sail. That’s my guess.

Correct. It does that the entire way around on level 5.

It is very bizarre. I think it has to do with wind flow, so by having it open it prevents the fabric roof from being ripped off, compared to if it was enclosed and would then act as a big sail. That’s my guess.

Similar to the roof of Adelaide Oval. But that roof carries backwards over the outside areas of the upper levels, keeping them covered (except when there's a northerly wind blowing into the back of the southern stand).

Very odd though!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back