Autopsy Round 16, 2021: Collingwood v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Then we shouldn't be playing him
Have to agree with this. I don’t know what’s to gain by risking him if he’s not right. And if he’s fine to play we can’t be using plantar fascia as an excuse for his poor form.

I dont remember, but i can picture the screenshot (Nath Jones yelling at something about "our time") it was an email to members about access to purchase finals tickets from memory, sent on the Saturday afternoon. By Sunday night they were 9th.

Between that for the lols and the Dees basically potting us through our match with them how they were finals bounds, Oliver spinning a spoon and then bottling it, long may they continue to stick their feet in their mouths.

Nor are Adelaide. You described them as “last year’s wooden spooner”, even though that has no relevance whatsoever to what they’re doing this year, yet you talk about those other teams only with regards to how they’re going this year, or lately.

So you’re being totally inconsistent, to falsely or deceptively try and strengthen your argument. As you do an awful lot.

BTW two games prior to beating us Collingwood beat top-of-the-ladder Melbourne, and this week they got De Goey back (who played against Melbourne, but not Freo), while 3 weeks prior to beating us, Adelaide we’re also good enough to beat an undefeated Melbourne, and they were far closer to full strength than us, when they beat us. Especially after an in-form Clark went off and was replaced by a kid who hadn’t played a game in 3 weeks.

We were doing remarkably well in the first half of that game, all things considered. We were miles off full strength.
The truth is, IMO, that we have yet to achieve anything that conclusively defines us as being at the sharp end of the quality in the AFL at the moment. We seem to have made an art of the 'almost ' statement and I think Gringo is accurate in his doubts of us as a real threat. We can be threatening but if we were to beat a Brisbane LIONS........well i believe that would be a whole new story.

Is our 9 point win against the 16th place side as impressive as GWS 9 point win against the 1st ranked side. Of course not.

Who you beat and how you beat them is kind of important to form.

Glad you’re impressed by GWS.

Their rich vein of form is something to behold… especially their draw against the bottom team a fortnight ago & their loss to the Hawks last week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The back and forth about whether the teams we have beaten are “good” or not these past two weeks is largely irrelevant.

In a professional sporting competition like the AFL, if you can keep ANY teams to a measly 3 goals in almost 7 quarters, it is a huge positive (and keep in mind our defense has been our Achilles heel all year).

The last quarter against the Pies was a nice little reminder to the group about what happens when you take your foot off the accelerator.

Are we back? Way too early to tell and it’s why the Lions game comes at a great time. But if you can’t see that these matches since the bye have been a step forward and a small thing to celebrate, then you’ll never be happy.

The back and forth about whether the teams we have beaten are “good” or not these past two weeks is largely irrelevant.

In a professional sporting competition like the AFL, if you can keep ANY teams to a measly 3 goals in almost 7 quarters, it is a huge positive (and keep in mind our defense has been our Achilles heel all year).

The last quarter against the Pies was a nice little reminder to the group about what happens when you take your foot off the accelerator.

Are we back? Way too early to tell and it’s why the Lions game comes at a great time. But if you can’t see that these matches since the bye have been a step forward and a small thing to celebrate, then you’ll never be happy.
Absolutely agreed!!!.......wat i said half an hour ago! Its all about baby steps and we have it all to prove against a real contender in the LIONS

Glad you’re impressed by GWS.

Their rich vein of form is something to behold… especially their draw against the bottom team a fortnight ago & their loss to the Hawks last week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We wanna go off the last 4 games then?

They are 2-1-1 wins against 1st and 13th
We are 2-2 wins against 9th and 16th

even 5 games you add a loss for them (against 3rd) and a win for us (against 18th).

we’ve been better, no one is arguing against that but ultimately we’ve won games we absolutely should win against average to horrible competition. I’ll celebrate every win, I was happy yeaterday and still am today but are we going better than anyone inside the 8, not for my money, are we better than everyone outside the 8 also no but it’s a much more reasonable discussion. I wish I had some of the Kool aid you all seem to be drinking.

Before we start hailing the turn around. I think we should atleast see how we go vs Brisbane.

Richmond appear to be in some weird form slump and pies have been ordinary all year.
I like that we won all the contested stuff and clearances, that has been an area of Improvement. Pies still have one of the best midfields and Richmond aren't too shabby either.

Last edited:

I don’t see anyone saying they’re not a step forward the discussion seems to be much more around how much of a step forward. The quality of the opposition and the last quarter sunday are exactly the issue, we need to be better for longer against the s**t teams (collingwood went reeeeeal close to doing an Adelaide on us) otherwise we will never bridge the gap from 6th-12th.

or we could just be thrilled about 9 point wins against 16th and the mediocrity that puts us in.

4th-most pressure points for us again and kicked a goal. He’s doing his job. Essentially playing the sort of footy we probably hoped we’d get from him when we recruited him. Last year was just a huge bonus.
Still think he’s getting a game off the whiff of an oily rag... 3 goals in 5 weeks. 8 disposals and 3 tackles is nothing to write home about when we had so much footy inside 50.
Long isn’t racking up a whole heap of pressure acts but you feel like his count more, would not like him or DMac barreling in when I’m attacking the footy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nor are Adelaide. You described them as “last year’s wooden spooner”, even though that has no relevance whatsoever to what they’re doing this year, yet you talk about those other teams only with regards to how they’re going this year, or lately.

So you’re being totally inconsistent, to falsely or deceptively try and strengthen your argument. As you do an awful lot.

BTW two games prior to beating us Collingwood beat top-of-the-ladder Melbourne, and this week they got De Goey back (who played against Melbourne, but not Freo), while 3 weeks prior to beating us, Adelaide we’re also good enough to beat an undefeated Melbourne, and they were far closer to full strength than us, when they beat us. Especially after an in-form Clark went off and was replaced by a kid who hadn’t played a game in 3 weeks.

We were doing remarkably well in the first half of that game, all things considered. We were miles off full strength.
I CBF going back but a huge part of our point about “form” is that it’s all totally subjective. Richmond are out of form, Adelaide have also lost their early season form, even Melbourne weren’t great on the weekend. Our last 3 wins have been against north (who are barely an afl side but have made an art of uglying games up and did so against a very good dogs side). Richmond who have fallen off a cliff in the last few weeks and Collingwood who played with no intent at all for 3 quarters.

We are winning and absolutely playing better but we’re also not doing much to get excited about I’d probablt arguw were the hardest team to get a read on at the moment.

If we play well against the lions it will give us a much better read and I’ll happily eat my words, if we get flogged then our wins won’t count for much.

Another disappointing performance from Billings. At this point in his career he should be having more influence on games. If we could get suitable compensation (ie, first round draft choice), I’d be happy to let him walk.
I would suggest his foot is stuffed

Just as Luke is loving it having Steele and Crouch giving him a chop out.
Well they’re working together like a very good midfield. However Steele had very little help previously - which was my point.

Byrnes didn’t get the rising star this week. He must be close tho, the winner Justin McInerney has very similar season average stats, idk what position he plays tho. His extra disposal on the weekend must’ve got him the nomination 😉

What really stands out is Dunstan 89% TOG... That's a huge improvement.

He has obviously improved his fitness. But was he gassed in the last quarter?
He was going ok with about 7 minutes to go. He then sat off for a few minutes and didn't see much of it after that. Still seemed to be moving ok, but got ignored a few times. He had a clearance and backed into a pack to take a mark and a few important possessions across half back earlier in the qtr.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back