Strategy Your club's draft/trade needs 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

According to Twomey, best rebounding/attacking small/medium defenders are Sinn & Chesser (both Dragons) & Wilmot (Knights). Beinga Blues supporter with our leaky defence, would love to get & develop one (or two) of these guys.šŸ˜‹
Youā€™ve got a heap of small/medium attacking defenders.

Thatā€™s not your problem. Your problem is none of them want to defend or play both ways.

What youā€™re missing is a lockdown small/medium defender.

Saints
1. Key forward depth
2. Outside mids that actually get the ball
3. Key defender since carlisle and frawley are probably gone at the end of the year.

1. Inside Mid
2. Key Defender
3. Ruckman

It was an oddly easy choice as those three areas are a pretty glaring need for the Swans.
I must be the only Sydney fan that thinks that an extra inside mid isn't that essential - Mills, Rowbottom and Warner is a promising 3 to build around and Parker's only 28....

Possibly a gap in the 6'2"+ division admittedly.

Ruck
Quick strong agile midfielders that arenā€™t frightened of breaking a nail when tackling.
Midfield/ forward
Half forward

According to Twomey, best rebounding/attacking small/medium defenders are Sinn & Chesser (both Dragons) & Wilmot (Knights). Beinga Blues supporter with our leaky defence, would love to get & develop one (or two) of these guys.šŸ˜‹

yeah from the little ive seen and what ive heard sinn isn't really a defender, just a running type player who can give you run from the backlines. Ive seen very little of Chesser so don't know but suspect he isn't really a defender either. wilmot looks very much like a rugged stable 2 way player, though I don't know what his level is at.

port has pretty good deep stock of key defenders but they're a pretty old group.

as of next season they will be

Jonas - 31
Mckenzie - 29
alır - 27
clurey - 28
with our only developing key defender Jake pasini a project player too early on to tell if he will make it and how good he could be (he's also only around 192-193cm from memory)

so key defender is a big need as they take a while to develop.

the other issue is that both Boak and gray are 33 next season and currently account for 9.7 clearances a game for port.
in 2022 I think we could allow that the fast developing drew (who is averaging around 4.5 clr off the top of my head) could add another 1-2 and butters (avg around 3ish) could add another 1-3. that's still another 5-8 clearances we need to find post their careers. its not just the numbers they got but the when and how gray and Boak have won those balls that need replacing.

I don't know whether rozee will move into the centre next season or not with his body having question marks.

they seem unwilling to play spp in the middle this year. im not sure they like having his ball use next to wines and drew. im not sure that changes next year.

so we need a centre square mid who can win the clearances but not a slower guy or poor kick as that's a bad fit next to wines and drew. I flagged Jarryd Lyons as the player we should have thrown a tonne of money at before he signed with brissie as a bridge between Boak / gray retiring and developing the next line. To the draft and quickly for this need.

were pretty well stocked for rucks - Lycett, ladhams , Hayes

small med defenders we have dbj , Houston , jones , Bergman , Frederick , garner (prob going to be cut)

outside / running mids we have great stocks - Amon duurmsa Farrell rozee bonner and even could put butters spp and Bergman into that group. Motlop in that group but 30. Jase Burgoyne coming in 2022.

small and med forwards is a question mark though. We have fantasia who can't stay on the park. Dylan Williams. woodcock and Trent Burgoyne who both look unlikely to make it.

key forwards (ages as of next year will be)
Dixon - 31

but we have

Marshall - 23
gerogiades - 20 already proven to be decent - good forwards

and ollie lord - 19 as a prospect who shows some encouraging signs

so were as well set up as anyone there with kfs coming through but it never hurts to keep adding them.

so I would have our key needs as

- a key defender (preferably a taller one than 193cm to partner with pasini)

- high quality ball winning mid with at least okay pace , spread and ball use.

- quick natural small / medium forward

Rewind 12 months...Logan McDonald anyone? You had him and you let him slip away!
I wasn't the one who made the decision at the time. Even at the time, if I had the power I would've chosen him, unless Comben lives up to the hype and isn't injured for 10 months of a year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wasn't the one who made the decision at the time. Even at the time, if I had the power I would've chosen him, unless Comben lives up to the hype and isn't injured for 10 months of a year.
Yeah- everything looks better in hindsight I suppose. My boys have made some blunders at the trading table. Wouldnā€™t want that job for quids.

Not sure weā€™ll find what we genuinely need at the draft.

Things have changed after this weekends game.

Needs.

1. KPF.
2. Big bodied mid with pace.
3. KPD.

Not sure weā€™ll find what we genuinely need at the draft.

Things have changed after this weekends game.

Needs.

1. KPF.
2. Big bodied mid with pace.
3. KPD.

Kpd is jack payne surely?

Assuming 4 picks inside the top 30 I'd go the following:

Top 10 - best KPF available
10-20 - best all round midfielder available (185cm+)
20-25 - Best KPD available
25-30 - best small forward available

Doesn't have to be that exact order, but that's the player types we need.

Without doubt the top priority is a ruck. Martin won't last past this year unfortunately, Sweet still looks a fair way off being AFL level, and that leaves English as our only real ruck. English absolutely thrived playing 3rd KPF/ruck when Martin was fit, so we definitely need a genuine number 1 ruck. We had Jack Macrae contesting a few ruck contests today - that just shouldn't happen.

Next priority would be KPD depth, although it's nowhere near as urgent as a ruck.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back