Autopsy Round 20, 2021 v Essendon - first win against Bombers at the MCG in 98 years

Remove this Banner Ad

It seems Horse has given up on Florent as an inside mid. He went from one of our 3 main mids there last year along with JPK and Parker, to getting demoted to 4th after Rowbottom, to being demoted to the wing, and now is just sorta... a floater. Pops up at half back but doesn't really get a lot of it.

In fairness to Horse, Florent has never quite demanded patience with his performances. I'm still not convinced he's more than just a tease.

Yeah, early in his career he showed glimpses that he could be an x factor type player, but seems to have sort of approached his ceiling. Things could really click for him in the next year or two and he could become a solid contributor, but to me he's somewhere between a B to C grader.

The umpiring was totally one sided anyway. He should have had 5 frees and one holding free against him was absolutely disgraceful

On JAT-L29 using BigFooty.com mobile app
I have often made the comment that umpires cannot get the whistle in their mouth quick enough to pay a free against Franklin. That holding the ball paid against him was such a joke. Not long later Draper takes the ball from the centre bounce, takes 2-3 steps, gets tackled and the ball falls free. Guess what - play on. * me dead. It's not the free kicks that opposition clubs get that really pisses me off but the fact that we don't get them for the same thing.

It seems Horse has given up on Florent as an inside mid. He went from one of our 3 main mids there last year along with JPK and Parker, to getting demoted to 4th after Rowbottom, to being demoted to the wing, and now is just sorta... a floater. Pops up at half back but doesn't really get a lot of it.

In fairness to Horse, Florent has never quite demanded patience with his performances. I'm still not convinced he's more than just a tease.

#SackFlorent

I gotta say, if Bell is our weak link, we're doing pretty bloody well! Swap him out for Warner and we have a real solid 22.

I'd have an underdone Rowbottom over Stephens this year (in the team or as sub). I'd draw a line across Stephens for 2021. He really needs some consistent time in the team throughout the season, the finals cauldron would be way to hot given his lack of exposure this year.

I can't say I agree GTS.

I don't see any benefit to playing Rowbottom over Stephens. It was really disappointing for the Freo match that we went with an underdone Rowbottom who it was almost unanimously agreed shouldn't have been playing (and ended up being dropped anyway) over Stephens, who had a pretty substantial block of form behind him from the VFL. How can we ever expect to see anything from him if we aren't prepared to put our faith in him?

I can't imagine it would've been good for his confidence to be dropped ahead of his cooked teammate.

due for a down game

we probably had it and won

good, fu** they are overhyped

i can't stand their fans, they've overhyped their teams for 20 years, but i think this mob are going to be very good ... i think they have the next-best young squad after us, they have good young talls who'll set up their future ... us, bombers, maybe gold coast the best young sides in the next few seasons ...
and that's why i'd rate this a really good win ... so much negative crap on the gameday thread (reading from the start after the game, you could do a top 100 list of stupid, embarrassing and miserable posts and have plenty left over), yet we climbed off our knees several times (again) and were the better team in what is already being described as the game of the year
so i'm prepared to say essendon were pretty good in this game, they started with more intensity, we were slack in the first half, and they hung in there when we finally got going in the second half, and the fact we were better, under the general circumstances of the past few days, deserves serious credit ...
we showed again that even an improving side, playing pretty much at its best, can't go with us when we're rolling

I was just wanting to see SOMETHING different after the umpteenth consecutive centre bounce loss.

Admittedly, Hickey’s tap work wasn’t much chop (he’s better when taking possession in the ruck contest) - but centre bounces were like Groundhog Day.

Heeney, Florent .... even Papley .... just try ANYTHING to stop the carnage!

I was just wanting to see SOMETHING different after the umpteenth consecutive centre bounce loss.

Admittedly, Hickey’s tap work wasn’t much chop (he’s better when taking possession in the ruck contest) - but centre bounces were like Groundhog Day.

Hickey can't jump much since his PCL went. His craft serves well at stoppages (check out Gulden's goal) but he gets jumped over at centre bounces. Possibly should have put Reid in there more often but it's easy to be wise after. Plus Draper is a damn decent ruck.

He put Gulden and then McInerney in there. Neither had much impact (as expected - they are not inside mids.)

But he is mistaken about what the problem is. Actually, I think Horse is smart enough to recognise what the problem is. Perhaps because of loyalty, he is in denial about what the problem is.

I can't say I agree GTS.

I don't see any benefit to playing Rowbottom over Stephens. It was really disappointing for the Freo match that we went with an underdone Rowbottom who it was almost unanimously agreed shouldn't have been playing (and ended up being dropped anyway) over Stephens, who had a pretty substantial block of form behind him from the VFL. How can we ever expect to see anything from him if we aren't prepared to put our faith in him?

I can't imagine it would've been good for his confidence to be dropped ahead of his cooked teammate.

Fair point, and definitely a valid one.

I'm just concerned about Stephen's composure given he hasn't had much exposure this year, and has gone into his shell a bit. I can definitely see him building confidence over the course of a season and taking that form into finals.

Why do some want cox as our next couch when he can’t sort the mid group out
Who has ever said that "we want Cox as coach"? Given more soft cap space, he would be a great coach for Hickey and Amartey, but he seems to be a complete failure as a mids coach.

Fair point, and definitely a valid one.

I'm just concerned about Stephen's composure given he hasn't had much exposure this year, and has gone into his shell a bit. I can definitely see him building confidence over the course of a season and taking that form into finals.

Oh don't get me wrong, I am hoping we will not have to play Stephens in the finals. While I'd love to see him get games at senior level, with just seven three remaining games for the year, it is too late now. He's not in our best 22, and to try and slot him in could potentially upset the team balance.

But I don't think we should be playing Rowbottom under any circumstances, and I am still burnt from the 2016 GF, so if it was a final and the choice was between a fresh face whose a risky prospect or a familiar face who is underdone, then I know who I'd rather go with.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I gotta say, if Bell is our weak link, we're doing pretty bloody well! Swap him out for Warner and we have a real solid 22.

I'd have an underdone Rowbottom over Stephens this year (in the team or as sub). I'd draw a line across Stephens for 2021. He really needs some consistent time in the team throughout the season, the finals cauldron would be way to hot given his lack of exposure this year.
Not what you would hope for in a number 6 draft pick.

Oh don't get me wrong, I am hoping we will not have to play Stephens in the finals. While I'd love to see him get games at senior level, with just seven three six remaining games for the year, it is too late now. He's not in our best 22, and to try and slot him in could potentially upset the team balance.

But I don't think we should be playing Rowbottom under any circumstances, and I am still burnt from the 2016 GF, so if it was a final and the choice was between a fresh face whose a risky prospect or a familiar face who is underdone, then I know who I'd rather go with.

EFA *we'll make top 4 and sweep through the finals

Thing about that game, was I don't think we had a choice. We also had a fresh-faced mills in that game who got caught HTB, which led to a goal. So I think we actually needed his experience (assume youre talking about mcveigh? There might have been another). We also had Xavier who did SFA, paps was young as well. So I think the injuries were just one of many things conspiring against us that day (three green maggots included).

He put Gulden and then McInerney in there. Neither had much impact (as expected - they are not inside mids.)

But he is mistaken about what the problem is. Actually, I think Horse is smart enough to recognise what the problem is. Perhaps because of loyalty, he is in denial about what the problem is.
McInerney got 6 clearances. 2nd only to Parker and 3 clearances ahead of the next best. 29 disposals at 82.1% efficiency, 13 contested possessions which was clearly the most of any Swan. He did pretty well as an inside mid

If there was any doubt that the team is thriving on the whole situation around lockdowns etc, then it was further reinforced today.
It's awesome what they have been able to do. Perhaps the sudden switch to Melbourne was just the tonic needed for them to switch on again for a further few weeks.

Theres been a few posts about Florent. Horse likes to get these 'kids' able to play multiple positions. Get the feeling Horse sees that ability as very important in the modern game.
Gulden - inside, outside, half forward
Florent - Inside, outside, half back
J Mac - Inside, outside, half back, half forward
Blakey - ........ etc etc etc
I reckon Florent will settle into a position in the next couple of years (Ill back inside mid - but who knows who's to come into the team??) and play that position 60ish% of the game. Same can be said for many of the team.
Unless Elite in one position, ie. How Mills is tracking, Players will be shifted around to create the best match ups and also create confusion for the opposition.

If there was any doubt that the team is thriving on the whole situation around lockdowns etc, then it was further reinforced today.
It's awesome what they have been able to do. Perhaps the sudden switch to Melbourne was just the tonic needed for them to switch on again for a further few weeks.

I think Longmire is in awe of the side the way they are responding to the challenges i think has him even shocked.

McInerney got 6 clearances. 2nd only to Parker and 3 clearances ahead of the next best. 29 disposals at 82.1% efficiency, 13 contested possessions which was clearly the most of any Swan. He did pretty well as an inside mid

He was not anywhere near as clean and composed as he usually is. No idea why we'd want to take one of our best runners and decision-makers and put him in a contested scrap. Was one of his least effective games I can recall IMO.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back