NFL 2021 - NFL Pre-Season Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Morton says he can throw a football from one goal line to the other

JOEL A. ERICKSON | INDIANAPOLIS STAR | 1:09 pm EDT August 1, 2021

CLARK WADE, INDIANAPOLIS STAR
WESTFIELD — In a quarterback room full of well-known names, Jalen Morton is the one few people know.

Morton played his college football out of the limelight at Prairie View A&M, did not hear his name called in the 2020 NFL Draft and got released by the Green Bay Packers last season before training camp ever got underway in earnest.

But Morton claims he can do something awe-inspiring, even though it likely would never come up in a game.

Morton says he can throw a football 100 yards.

In the air.

From one goal line to the next.

“You read that right,” Morton said.

Morton says he’s done it multiple times, and he has enough confidence in the trick that he put it in his Prairie View A&M biography.

And how did he find out he could pull off a throw like that?

Warming up, apparently.

“I used to long toss,” Morton said. “I used to play baseball. I used to long toss, and as you get further and further back, you don’t really realize how far you’re throwing.”

Morton’s long-toss ability isn’t likely going to come into play during live action against the Indianapolis defense at Grand Park during this training camp. Not with the pass rush bearing down.

But Morton also does not appear to be fazed by the big-name college quarterbacks in front of him, and he’s gotten roughly the same amount of snaps as sixth-round pick Sam Ehlinger so far. The arm strength is evident on short throws, but he is trying to navigate a steep learning curve. Morton is 9 of 16 through four practices, and although the play likely would have ended with a sack—and therefore wasn’t counted among IndyStar’s statistics for training camp—he did throw an interception to Colts defensive back Nick Nelson on Saturday.

For the moment, Morton is just trying to establish himself as capable of playing in the NFL.

“I train every day like I’m a starter, so when my number’s called, I’ll be ready,” Morton said.

And as far as his 100-yard toss, Morton was asked if he’d uncork a bomb the length of the field at any point during this training camp in Grand Park.

“One day,” Morton said.

Keep your eyes peeled.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kirk's dad is a nutjob, its not really that surprising that Kirk is too

He forgot the Green Bay Packers.

So doubt he was being serious.

This statement is extremely disingenuous - the salary cap is always based on league revenue from the previous season, it has never been based on future revenue....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back