Preview Rd 23 : Changes against The Carlton - MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Agreed.

Play Cogs or rule him out for the year.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Why couldn’t he just play a partial game this week and then be good to go for finals? I don’t see any point in ruling him out now when it would be great to have him for finals.

Why couldn’t he just play a partial game this week and then be good to go for finals? I don’t see any point in ruling him out now when it would be great to have him for finals.

They could do that again.

But if he’s fit and ready to be listed as an emergency, just play him.

Unusual for a Captain to be available and not selected.

They could do that again.

But if he’s fit and ready to be listed as an emergency, just play him.

Unusual for a Captain to be available and not selected.

Yeah it is a bit unusual for such a high profile player but when put in the context of managing a players workload thats dealt with a specific injury throughout the entire year I think it's pretty reasonable.

Yeah it is a bit unusual for such a high profile player but when put in the context of managing a players workload thats dealt with a specific injury throughout the entire year I think it's pretty reasonable.

It’s also worth remembering he missed the entire 2019 finals campaign too.

Let’s hope there is a master plan - and that it works!

It’s also worth remembering he missed the entire 2019 finals campaign too.

Let’s hope there is a master plan - and that it works!

Can only imagine how much it sucks to be in his position to miss the entire finals run in 2019 and then for him to be named captain only to miss finals altogether the following year. Must be killing him to not be out there in playing finals with the rest of the team.

Can only imagine how much it sucks to be in his position to miss the entire finals run in 2019 and then for him to be named captain only to miss finals altogether the following year. Must be killing him to not be out there in playing finals with the rest of the team.
We're not at finals yet!

From the emergencies, surely Pruess and Davis not versatile enough to be medi sub, so would be either Cogs or Peatling. With no VFL games this week, it has to be now or never for Cogs as far as this season is concerned.
It would be weird to drop Peatling and call in Cogs just for Peatling to be named as the medi-sub and have Cogs on the sidelines, feel like it has to be Cogs especially considering the context of this being a chance to get some match fitness for him

If there's to be no bye, I agree Mummy needs to be rested for Briggs. Still think Davis is likely to come back for Stein. Toby probably comes in for Bruhn. Cogs would probably displace either MdB or Peatling. MdB would be the better out for team balance, but I suspect it will be Peatling because he's the most junior.
I don't get everyone's fascination with Davis? He is just too slow!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't get everyone's fascination with Davis? He is just too slow!
He has been and still is a very strong defender for us and one of the only guys that can wrestle with the big boys under a high ball

He is valuable
I agree that Phil is slowing down - quicker than we would have hoped, unfortunately.

However, while his run off intercepting skills are decaying, he's still an experienced defender with skills as Danny88 has said. In the end, the match committee has to weigh up the skills he does have left versus the capability of the alternatives. Stein is younger but not as skilled.

I've made the comments I have as Leon has always been quite conservative, and held onto older guys, whose skills are decaying, longer than I personally believe he should. e.g. Stevie J. Hence I've expected him to put Phil back into the team. That he hasn't, but included him as an emergency, points to either (1) a belated realisation that Phil is past it, but we have no KPD backup apart from Phil, or (2) that he's still carrying some issues from his injuries this year (whether it be calf or concussion) & trying to give him maximum time to regain full fitness. We all remember the 2019 GF.

He has been and still is a very strong defender for us and one of the only guys that can wrestle with the big boys under a high ball

He is valuable

As long as he's 100% fit, he's valuable in the situations you describe.

But whether he's fit or not, he's slow. What has changed recently has been the youthful energy down back. We're getting the ball out of the backline much more quickly and away we go.

I agree that Phil is slowing down - quicker than we would have hoped, unfortunately.

However, while his run off intercepting skills are decaying, he's still an experienced defender with skills as Danny88 has said. In the end, the match committee has to weigh up the skills he does have left versus the capability of the alternatives. Stein is younger but not as skilled.

I've made the comments I have as Leon has always been quite conservative, and held onto older guys, whose skills are decaying, longer than I personally believe he should. e.g. Stevie J. Hence I've expected him to put Phil back into the team. That he hasn't, but included him as an emergency, points to either (1) a belated realisation that Phil is past it, but we have no KPD backup apart from Phil, or (2) that he's still carrying some issues from his injuries this year (whether it be calf or concussion) & trying to give him maximum time to regain full fitness. We all remember the 2019 GF.
Although Phil isn't the defender he once was even a few years ago, he's still really solid out there and probably provides our very young backline with some leadership and a sense of security. I wasn't too impressed with what I saw from Stein earlier in the year but he's been pretty solid the last 2 weeks to the point where it doesn't seem like there's much of a drop off between the two. Phil still intercepts well but Stein is a great athlete that can handle some of the lighter more agile key forwards that Phil isn't able to.

As long as he's 100% fit, he's valuable in the situations you describe.

But whether he's fit or not, he's slow. What has changed recently has been the youthful energy down back. We're getting the ball out of the backline much more quickly and away we go.
He has never been fast. Even in interviews he talks about how slow he is. His strength has been that intercept marking which he still can do

Having reflected on it, here’s my take on the unusual 22+4 squad list vs Blues.

I am going to work on the assumption that everyone named in the 22+4 is fully fit.

I’m also going to work on the assumption that the - very difficult, possible but improbable - goal is to win the ‘21 flag.

To do that, we need to win the next 5 matches in a row. Further, each week the games will get materially harder.

I’m also going to assume that Mummy probably can’t play 4 consecutive high-intensity finals.

All that being the case, I really don’t understand why the designated #1 ruck Preuss is not in the 22 this weekend.

Similarly, I really don’t understand why the Captain isn’t in the 22 this weekend.

For me the only time we’ll be able to take a real selection gamble (eg, giving Preuss a debut) over the next 5 matches is this weekend.

I fear that Leon is being too conservative this weekend, and that we will pay for it in later weeks when it may end our season.

I’d prefer to take a slight (but still low) risk of losing this weekend in return for a greater (but still low) probability of winning the ‘21 flag.

Of course, maybe the listed emergencies aren’t really fit to play. And if that’s the case, I don’t understand why they’re listed as emergencies.

Having reflected on it, here’s my take on the unusual 22+4 squad list vs Blues.

I am going to work on the assumption that everyone named in the 22+4 is fully fit.

I’m also going to work on the assumption that the - very difficult, possible but improbable - goal is to win the ‘21 flag.

To do that, we need to win the next 5 matches in a row. Further, each week the games will get materially harder.

I’m also going to assume that Mummy probably can’t play 4 consecutive high-intensity finals.

All that being the case, I really don’t understand why the designated #1 ruck Preuss is not in the 22 this weekend.

Similarly, I really don’t understand why the Captain isn’t in the 22 this weekend.

For me the only time we’ll be able to take a real selection gamble (eg, giving Preuss a debut) over the next 5 matches is this weekend.

I fear that Leon is being too conservative this weekend, and that we will pay for it in later weeks when it may end our season.

I’d prefer to take a slight (but still low) risk of losing this weekend in return for a greater (but still low) probability of winning the ‘21 flag.

Of course, maybe the listed emergencies aren’t really fit to play. And if that’s the case, I don’t understand why they’re listed as emergencies.

I don't think it's fair to work from the assumption that everyone is fully fit, Cogs is probably as fit as someone could be coming off a major injury without having played in live serious matches. While it would be good to see Cogs out there for the whole game him coming on for part of the game to get back used to the speed and physicality would still be a good starting point for him. I personally think Briggs is already really good and ready to be our lead ruckmen the moment Mummy retires, he's had a really underated season and offers many of the same attributes that Mummy offers while also being a greater marking target. I don't think its ridiculous at all for them to simply think that Briggs is simply the better option then Preuss at this point, it's not like Preuss was a great ruck for North Melbourne and Melbourne anyway.

I don't think it's fair to work from the assumption that everyone is fully fit, Cogs is probably as fit as someone could be coming off a major injury without having played in live serious matches. While it would be good to see Cogs out there for the whole game him coming on for part of the game to get back used to the speed and physicality would still be a good starting point for him. I personally think Briggs is already really good and ready to be our lead ruckmen the moment Mummy retires, he's had a really underated season and offers many of the same attributes that Mummy offers while also being a greater marking target. I don't think its ridiculous at all for them to simply think that Briggs is simply the better option then Preuss at this point, it's not like Preuss was a great ruck for North Melbourne and Melbourne anyway.
In regards Preuss:
  • one emergency is always a ruckman in case the named ruckman gets injured/sick
  • Mummy is being managed - we don't want to play him this weekend to the detriment of finals, so we don't want him as an emergency
  • Flynn is injured
  • Keeffe is injured
  • Preuss is not injured, and while not really fit, he's the only ''ruck'' option left
  • even the really left field candidates aren't really available: Finlayson (not available due to pregnant wife) & Sproule (already in the team).
If Briggs were to get injured/sick, the match committee would have to consider whether to bring in Preuss while not match ready (which they might consider necessary to have him as a viable backup during finals), or use Sproule and bring in a small.

It could be as simple as that.

In regards Preuss:
  • Mummy is being managed - we don't want to play him this weekend to the detriment of finals, so we don't want him as an emergency
  • Flynn is injured
  • Keeffe is injured
  • Preuss is not injured, and while not really fit, he's the only ''ruck'' option left
  • even the really left field candidates aren't really available: Finlayson (not available due to pregnant wife) & Sproule (already in the team).
If Briggs were to get injured/sick, the match committee would have to consider whether to bring in Preuss while not match ready (which they might consider necessary to have him as a viable backup during finals), or use Sproule and bring in a small.

It is absolutely that simple.
Preuss is the emergency for Briggs , that is it.

In regards Preuss:
  • Flynn is injured
  • Keeffe is injured

Thats a fair point, I'm not sure how much playing one game is going to help Preuss (maybe a lot) if he's not going to play for another 2 or 3 weeks after that if at all. Is Preuss all of a sudden gonna be a lot better if he's thrown into a potential Prelim final because he played against Carlton in Round 23? Maybe he will, there probably isnt a lot of downside in trying but I do like to see Leon back the younger players in.

Rapt Sam Reid hasn’t been included, he is just a depth player at best and must only be used in that context!

The team looks sharper at the moment and the young guys are playing with a lot of enthusiasm and giving great defensive effort.

The guy who has surprised me is Sproule, I really had no opinion of him but he has actually been good. I’m not sold on Stein, he hasn’t been bad and certainly has been better than Davis but he’s still a bit iffy for me.

Hopefully the boys are 100% switched and acknowledge the Carlton guys will be trying to send Betts out on a good note.

Us winning and Crows beating Nth would be magnificent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back