Goulburn Valley FL 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

I’d also recommend reading ‘The boys club’ written by Mick Warner .

Reading might even help your spelling Silver Tongue . ;):p
Yes an insightful read Roar, highlighting many 'incidences' of nepotism and cronyism in the AFL.

I spell propa good!

Last edited:
A lot of marketability at club level is based on senior success and somewhat on marquee players . Salary cap and players points has limited the ability of clubs to bring in mass marque players .
Whilst with GVL choosing to play more in the traditional Saturday Arvo time slot , I’d suspect marketing opportunities are being even further hit .
IIRC ( ringo1 could probably confirm) Echuca went down the path of a full time administrator with Ben Wilson a few years ago , pre salary cap and player points .
Match day secretary remains the biggest or hardest job to fill and with some leagues moving to 9-5 for their admin and maintaining the same requirement yet adding things like live scoring that job has only got more difficult .
I reckon Ben filled that role about 15 years ago. He is now in marketing at the West Coast Eagles. I believe that coaching packages of 60-70K could evolve. These would include a marketing/ sponsorship component as well as admin during the week. Some clubs in Melb paying 40-50 K for coaches as it stands.

Is there too much on the plate for a coach to do Ringo?

If you paid a recruit to do this 9-5 m-f, would it be included in the clubs salary cap?

For example if you paid an ex-afl player 80k to be in charge of club admin, recruiting, sponsorship etc, yet he wasn't paid on Saturday, I'm not sure that would be included. Then you have a coach who just worries about training, game day and pay them less?

I reckon Ben filled that role about 15 years ago. He is now in marketing at the West Coast Eagles. I believe that coaching packages of 60-70K could evolve. These would include a marketing/ sponsorship component as well as admin during the week. Some clubs in Melb paying 40-50 K for coaches as it stands.

Certainly highlights an old school boys club mentality, that has zero transparency to the public that fund their late lunches, first class flying, where the exec team are on double the money of the best players.

Then they seek to fill their pockets further by ensuring their businesses get AFL contracts. Even more astounding is the AFL don't pay tax, the only sporting code in the world that claims they're a charity.

In the words of one of mallee's finest Molly, do yourself a favour and read it

I’d also recommend reading ‘The boys club’ written by Mick Warner .

Reading might even help your spelling Silver Tongue . ;):p

Is there too much on the plate for a coach to do Ringo?

If you paid a recruit to do this 9-5 m-f, would it be included in the clubs salary cap?

For example if you paid an ex-afl player 80k to be in charge of club admin, recruiting, sponsorship etc, yet he wasn't paid on Saturday, I'm not sure that would be included. Then you have a coach who just worries about training, game day and pay them less?
Good point but I think a coach that already does 30 hours a week could then spend another 10-12 on footy admin. It would allow more time for coaches to follow up with players, plan, recruit and do admin outside of their normal jobs.

Certainly highlights an old school boys club mentality, that has zero transparency to the public that fund their late lunches, first class flying, where the exec team are on double the money of the best players.

Then they seek to fill their pockets further by ensuring their businesses get AFL contracts. Even more astounding is the AFL don't pay tax, the only sporting code in the world that claims they're a charity.

In the words of one of mallee's finest Molly, do yourself a favour and read it
It’s a very interesting scenario with the AFL being non profit , laws around not for profit not being able to influence/ force another non profit ( which most community leagues are ) , localised commissions being companies .
Commissions have affiliation agreements with the AFL , whilst community bodies by AFL’s wish are not directly affiliated , their affiliation is via commissions .
Some suggest it is a mechanism to force / influence yet attempting to avoid laws .
There is a however a big ‘ Glitch ‘ with that if that were the wish , which I won’t bring up upon here but many are well aware of .

Last edited:
Get up to speed stalking old students on social media Ringo!! Ben hasn't been at WC Eagles since early last year, although still marketing he heads the WM Network Group in Perth.
Probably one of the most successful clubs in Melbourne is Vermont in EFL and they have had a manager since the 1990's. They also owned a pub for a long time that generated revenue as a not for profit back into the sporting teams. Maybe some of the country teams need to look at something as radical as this? If you can generate money through a business to cover some of the club costs it then comes down to not needing to go to the well as often with fundraising.

Not sure a pub would be a big money spinner in today's environment. Pretty sure a few Mallee and Wimmera clubs have farms, which is no good in a drought, but they seem to be going ok, I think Donald and birchip might have the biggest farms, hence the ability to recruit former tiger Swan Nathan Gordon

Get up to speed stalking old students on social media Ringo!! Ben hasn't been at WC Eagles since early last year, although still marketing he heads the WM Network Group in Perth.
Probably one of the most successful clubs in Melbourne is Vermont in EFL and they have had a manager since the 1990's. They also owned a pub for a long time that generated revenue as a not for profit back into the sporting teams. Maybe some of the country teams need to look at something as radical as this? If you can generate money through a business to cover some of the club costs it then comes down to not needing to go to the well as often with fundraising.

Geelong and District own a large gaming venue which supports not only that leagues clubs but many other leagues/clubs in that region .
I understand a local league has explored the possibility of investing into a business / premises .
If it had not been for covid it’s likely it would have already come to fruiitation .

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Playing or non playing Ringo?

Non playing is what I have been informed Trent but could be supplemented by a couple of handy players too. Unfortunately COVID is still causing some issues with finalising/ announcing the appointment. May not be public news this week.

Whilst the Vermont model has worked well for them, there is a bit more to the story. The Administrator is a long standing club person and doesn’t take a wage so he realistically costs the club nothing. As for the hotel, the club owns the licence which comes at a fair cost and whilst there are some profits, it isn’t the cash cow that some may think. There are a number of clubs that have explored this and there have been some failures with East Ringwood nearly going to the wall with their ill fated licence ownership of the Maroondah Club.

With COVID and poker machines being on the nose (and alcohol often getting a bad rap), I wouldn’t be using this approach for a community sporting club. I think image, reputation and what a club provides to the community is more important than ever and being involved in the hotel/ club game can certainly alienate community members and sponsors for a range of reasons and potentially negatively hurt a club in a big way financially.

It’s a very interesting scenario with the AFL being non profit , laws around not for profit not being able to influence/ force another non profit ( which most community leagues are ) , localised commissions being companies .
Commissions have affiliation agreements with the AFL , whilst community bodies by AFL’s wish are not directly affiliated , their affiliation is via commissions .
Some suggest it is a mechanism to force / influence yet attempting to avoid laws .
There is a however a big ‘ Glitch ‘ with that if that were the wish , which I won’t bring up upon here but many are well aware of .

Ever think about going into politics Roar because you have but me baffled with this

Will clubs go for recruits located regionally for next year, or just go with the status quo of doesn't matter if they're located in Melbourne?
That's the million dollar question. With so much uncertainty going into next year, will it be better or more of the same??? An extra problem will be whether 'local' blokes will add and extra dollar or two, knowing that there may be a reluctance in regional clubs recruiting metro players.

That's the million dollar question. With so much uncertainty going into next year, will it be better or more of the same??? An extra problem will be whether 'local' blokes will add and extra dollar or two, knowing that there may be a reluctance in regional clubs recruiting metro players.

There’s two answers to your last sentence
No and and do you want be to open the door on your way out.

You seems pretty certain...
Will clubs go for recruits located regionally for next year, or just go with the status quo of doesn't matter if they're located in Melbourne?
Local recruits aren’t just going to pop up out of no where. Pretty hard to recruit around here without pinching blokes from clubs in the same league or surrounding leagues. Which ain’t easy without paying overs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back