Oppo Camp Regular Non Eagles Discussion V2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
But how is faking a handball 'playing on'? You haven't moved off your line and haven't disposed of the ball.
How is moving sideways on the mark a 50m penalty? Rules change.

I don't like it, but you're crucifying the defensive team even further. Not saying they should be able to move forward and tackled the man with the ball, but they should be able to move sideways if fake a handball.

I don't like it, but you're crucifying the defensive team even further. Not saying they should be able to move forward and tackled the man with the ball, but they should be able to move sideways if fake a handball.
I agree - just a dumb impact on footy and against the idea of a contest. Alternatively, the kicker should only be allowed to kick directly over his mark.

Or we could scrap the stand rule?...and just actually call the as written penalties for encroaching over the mark, which they refused to do and Hawthorn and Richmond abused the hell out of for most of the last decade.

It really looks ridiculous watching players run around the man on the mark while they stay glued to the spot like a cricketer in the 1800's, fearful of the umpires wrath.

Rules upon rules because they are always trying to "curate" the look of the game and making problems where none should exist.

But it's just another grey area for umpires to have to interpret. At least the standing rule (which I hate) is an objective decision for the umpires- either the player moves sideways or they don't, there are no degrees.

But it's just another grey area for umpires to have to interpret. At least the standing rule (which I hate) is an objective decision for the umpires- either the player moves sideways or they don't, there are no degrees.
Agree, hate the rule however the more 'black and white' a decision is which takes away the ability for the umpire to use his/her interpretation of it is more likely to increase the consistency of the umpiring across the board.

Until you have the differing length in times or movement by the ball carrier before the umpire will call play on. The umpire who hasn't quite s[pat out a full "play on" but believes it was play on when the player moved and continues to call play on vs the umpire who hasn't entirely called out play on and pings a player for 50.

You've just moved the grey area.

You took a mark and you get to take your kick unmolested. To completely take out a player from the other team from the play is a ridiculous over-step of what a mark should represent as an advantage.

The other thing about the stand rule that I don’t like, is the umpire calls stand, a lot of time, before the player has actually made it to the spot where the mark was taken, so the player standing the make has lost ground. Seemed to happen to us all the time. Probably shows our players weren’t putting in enough effort to vigorously stand the mark and not give up any ground. Stupid rule, should be scrapped, but it won’t. They’ll just come up with some other stupid rule to try and fix the consequences of the last rule that didn’t work

The other thing about the stand rule that I don’t like, is the umpire calls stand, a lot of time, before the player has actually made it to the spot where the mark was taken, so the player standing the make has lost ground. Seemed to happen to us all the time. Probably shows our players weren’t putting in enough effort to vigorously stand the mark and not give up any ground. Stupid rule, should be scrapped, but it won’t. They’ll just come up with some other stupid rule to try and fix the consequences of the last rule that didn’t work
and allows the kicker to be 5-10m off their line

Average scoring was the lowest for 50+ years (not including last year's shortened games)

Fair to say the rule changes were a complete waste of time. More than happy for them to be scrapped
Lol remember how much back slapping and autofellatio there was in the media about the new rules after a couple of initial high scoring rounds…even though that happens every year

Lol remember how much back slapping and autofellatio there was in the media about the new rules after a couple of initial high scoring rounds…even though that happens every year

To be fair We tried to hold up our end of the bargain buy letting every side score at will against us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wow - seriously? Him and Charlie LOOOOOLLLL

Going down the Brisbane route of recruiting as many useless giant forwards as they can

Maybe they’ve been reading BigFooty’s thoughts on arm lengths and KPP

Some on the Port board seem to think Charlie is heading back to the GC.

Cant imagine why GC would want him back?

It will at least give the team with the ball a bit of respite, but boy it's going to be fun watching the umpires interpret a what constitutes a fake handball.

Some on the Port board seem to think Charlie is heading back to the GC.

Cant imagine why GC would want him back?

At least he's in no danger of going missing in a final at the Gold Coast

I imagine his point is that if you’re now penalising players 50m for taking a step sideways on the mark they should be quicker on play on calls, including fake handballs. Don’t disagree as long as the stand rule applies

I actually have no problem with the existence of the stand rule - it genuinely rewards the pursuit of attacking play which is a good thing.

My issues with it currently are in concern to set shots on goal (where "play on" should be called as soon as deviation from kicking directly over the mark occurs) and the over-the-top punishment of a 50m penalty for any infringement.

Would rather see a call by the umpire for the infringing defender to "move aside" (effectively taking the mark to a position behind where the player in possession is located), instantly opening up play such that it is a 50m+ penalty for ball movement, but does not result in direct shots on goal as the current penalty does.

I actually have no problem with the existence of the stand rule - it genuinely rewards the pursuit of attacking play which is a good thing.

My issues with it currently are in concern to set shots on goal (where "play on" should be called as soon as deviation from kicking directly over the mark occurs) and the over-the-top punishment of a 50m penalty for any infringement.

Would rather see a call by the umpire for the infringing defender to "move aside" (effectively taking the mark to a position behind where the player in possession is located), instantly opening up play such that it is a 50m+ penalty for ball movement, but does not result in direct shots on goal as the current penalty does.
I like it!

Eddie just said there's not enough video cameras in Perth to do a Grand Final parade

The salt ratio is unbelievable
But in an incredible coincidence, both of Eddie's sons just happen to be cameras.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back