Competitions WCE Board Mock Draft 2023 v2.0

Remove this Banner Ad

Draft Order and Selections

1. West Coast - Harley Reid
2. Gold Coast - Jed Walter (Matched bid)
3. Gold Coast - Ethan Read (Matched bid)
4. North Melbourne Melbourne - Colby McKercher
5. North Melbourne - Zane Duursma
6. Hawthorn - Nick Watson
7. Western Bulldogs - Ryley Sanders
8. Melbourne North Melbourne - Dan Curtin
9. GWS - Connor O’Sullivan
10. Geelong North Melbourne - Nate Caddy
11. Essendon - Caleb Windsor
12. Adelaide - Darcy Wilson
13. Western Bulldogs - Jordan Croft (Matched bid)
14. Hawthorn - Will McCabe (Matched bid)
15. Melbourne North Melbourne - Ollie Murphy
16. Sydney - James Leake
17. Gold Coast - Jake Rogers (Matched bid)
18. St Kilda Carlton - Charlie Edwards
19. Adelaide - Joel Freijah
20. North Melbourne Geelong - Taylor Goad
21. GWS - Harry DeMattia
22. North Melbourne - Will Green
23. North Melbourne Geelong
- Arie Schoenmaker
24. Collingwood - Koltyn Tholstrup
25. Adelaide - Will Dawson
26. St Kilda - Archer Reid
27. Carlton St Kilda - Riley Hardeman

ROUND 2 :

28. West Coast - Zane Zakostelsky
24. Gold Coast Matched Walter bid
29. Geelong - Koen Sanchez
26. Gold Coast Matched Walter bid
27. Gold Coast Matched Walter bid
30. Sydney - Caidyn Cleary (Matched bid)
31. Carlton St Kilda - Mitch Edwards
32. Richmond - George Stevens
33. Gold Coast - Will Graham (Matched bid)
34. Brisbane - Archie Roberts
35. Essendon - Lance Collard
31. Gold Coast Matched Read bid
36. Hawthorn - Calsher Dear (Matched bid)
37 . Collingwood - Cooper Simpson
38. Fremantle - Jack DeLean
39. Essendon - Tew Jiath
35. Gold Coast Matched Read bid
40. West Coast - Ashton Moir
37. Gold Coast Matched Read bid
41. Brisbane - Phoenix Gothard
42. St Kilda Carlton - Angus Hastie
43. Richmond - Logan Morris
44. Melbourne - Riley Weatherill
45. Western Bulldogs - Luamon Lual (Matched bid)
46. GWS - Luke Lloyd

ROUND 3 :

40. Hawthorn Matched McCabe bid
43. Sydney Matched Cleary bid
47. Fremantle - Aiden O’Driscoll
43. Hawthorn Matched McCabe bid
44. Western Bulldogs Matched Croft bid
45. Hawthorn Matched McCabe bid
46. Western Bulldogs Matched Croft bid
48. Brisbane - Charlie McCormack
48. Western Bulldogs Matched Croft bid
48. Western Bulldogs Matched Lual bid
49. Brisbane - Vigo Visentini
48. Sydney Matched Cleary bid
55. Gold Coast (Surplus from Walter bid) Matched Read bid
50. Western Bulldogs - Clay Hall
51. North Melbourne Geelong - Will Lorenz
52. West Coast- Bodie Ryan
53. Fremantle - Will Patton
54. Sydney (Surplus from Cleary bid) Pass
55. Essendon - Pass
55. Hawthorn Matched Dear bid

ROUND 4 :

54. Carlton - Reece Torrent
57. Hawthorn (Surplus from McCabe bid) Matched Dear bid
55. Port Adelaide - Michael Rudd
56 . Geelong - Kristian Ferronato

ROUND 5 :

57. West Coast
58. Geelong
59. St Kilda
62. Geelong - Pass

ROUND 6 :

60. St Kilda
61. Port Adelaide
65. Gold Coast (Surplus from Read bid) - Pass
66. Gold Coast - Pass
67. Western Bulldogs - Pass
68. Hawthorn - Pass
69. Western Bulldogs (Surplus from Croft bid)
70. Hawthorn- Pass

Trades:
1) Geelong trade pick 8 to North Melbourne for picks 15,18,57
2) Melbourne trade picks 6,11 to North Melbourne for pick 2 and a F3
4) St Kilda trade picks 18,38 to Carlton for picks 26,29

NB: I have removed picks that clubs aren’t going to use based on Cal Twomey’s analysis of how many selections each club is expected to make

Last edited:
Pick 12. Adelaide. Darcy Wilson. 186 cm 74 kg. Murray Bushrangers. Midfield Forward.

download-13.jpg

The Vic Country running machine that has good pace and a good leap.
Perfect fit for Adelaide as Wilson is a meters gained player who with his run and carry is an 80 meter player, who is also adept at playing / moving forward to hit the score board. His endurance is a real point of difference, came second in the 2 k time trial and blitz the jumps at the combine.
Smart footballer who makes great decisions, he is the sort of player who you want the ball in his hands whena game is on the line.
He is a very clean by hand player and whilst he is predominantly an outside player, he lacks no courage and goes in and gets the ball when he has opportunity to do so.
However his outside work is just so elite that you would want him on the outside to then move the ball with maximum efficiency and effectiveness.

Kids pure silk and is one of those gliders who seem to be able to move across the ground with effortless ease all day.
Its hard mot be excited about what he could bring to any team.

Pick 19. Adelaide. Joel Freijah. 190 cm 88 kg. Midfielder. GWV Rebels.

download-8.jpg

It’s no secret that Adelaide are in need of some genuine leg speed with some run and carry, Freijah brings that in spades.
A burst player that will be a handy long term replacement for Seedsman.
Kids a perfect wingman prototype, that shouldn’t take too long to make a mark at the senior level.

Kids got some real speed to his game and is also a noted goal kicker, tall and rangy for a wingman he will be a difficult match up. On his day he has some wow factor.

Adelaide have a well equipped and we’ll stocked forward line, but a sluggish midfield. Freijah will help get the forward line more inside 50’s and will bring acceleration to ball movement, both two factors that will make the Crows stronger going forward.

Being a VIC Country kid he lessens the go home factor of the sooky, tit attached, Melbourne Bayside boys.

Some will view him a bit of a reach at this point in the draft, however I rate him highly and his skill set is one that Adelaide are in dire need of, so the match here seems just to good to resist.

Could have gone a tall here but I have added a couple of run and carry option for the Crows with Wilson and now Freijah and complied two future picks for the Crows for next year when they has a ripper KPF in FS - Welsh who projects as a mid first rounder next year and allow the Crows picks to trade up for Draper.

There were a couple of other kids that could also bring some of the same skill set ( Demattia being one ) however I see more upside in Freijah.

Koen Sanchez is one that has been strongly linked to Adelaide so he too could be an option with this pick.

Carbine Chaos I believe your up now on the clock.

Last edited:
I think with an ageing list there's too many holes to target especially, so I'm just going best available (in my eyes) for Geelong's picks.

I'll take speedy ruckman TAYLOR GOAD, who seems a very unique prospect and perhaps one that can replace Blicavs in a few years.

Doubt I'll have the time to do a proper write up but I suggest you look him up, very intriguing prospect with a lot of upside.

bh90210fan i believe you're up.

Then with pick 11 which is now 15, Norf select another great KPD in Ollie Murphy.

He is an old fashioned lock down defender that hates losing one on one battles.

SumaGodCoach - over to you with Sydney. I could have waited until my pick 17 that is looking more like 21 to take Murphy but given the Swans need of a KPD, I had to go early.
You just know the set of players you've managed to select for North Melbourne will bear no resemblance to who they actually pick. You've filled almost every hole on their list; next week, just watch them draft half a dozen flashy midfielders who they'll trade or delist before they're 25...

You just know the set of players you've managed to select for North Melbourne will bear no resemblance to who they actually pick. You've filled almost every hole on their list; next week, just watch them draft half a dozen flashy midfielders who they'll trade or delist before they're 25...
So what your saying is that I should ring Jenny and ask for Rawling’s job

With pace to burn and a laser left boot, GWS should be happy to have Harry DeMattia onboard with pick 21.

He’ll be a good fit at GWS, being able to play in any third on the ground and I see him starting down back alongside Whitfield before moving into the middle later as Cogniglio, Ward and Kelly get on in age.

AsterixTheGaul looks like it’s your turn again

I’ve had it suggested to me to reverse the crows/suns trade and just assume that Suns academy bids are matched from future picks

Unless there are any objections I’ll do with this and give Monocle his Adelaide pick back

I do not believe that Xerri will make it as and elite ruck and with the midfield that is being assembled, they deserve someone who can feed them. I was umming and ahhing whether to go Goad or Green and since the Cats too Goad, it made it easy.

Norf select Will Green who I believe has the best ruck technique seen for a couple of years and will be what Norf need to feed the mids going forward.

With the second pick I traded to Carbine Chaos - over to the Cats

Would probably incur the wrath of real fans going tall with both picks to start, but I really like the points of difference this guy offers. Geelong select ARIE SCHOENMAKER.

Has a huge left foot to help break out of defence and provide attacking thrusts upfield. He's a real interceptor and I think that'll be a real area of need for the Cats soon with Stewart getting older.

I believe Bender_ is up.

Collingwood pick Koltyn Tholstrup.

With Pendlebury turning 102 in 2024, Adams getting the shits on and running away and Mitchell being a bit of a plodder, we need aggression and scoring power from the midfield. Will be a handy rotation for De Goey - both on the field and for FIGJAM similarities.

Keys I'm not sure who is next out of Adelaide and Gold Coast - they're both listed above.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Collingwood pick Koltyn Tholstrup.

With Pendlebury turning 102 in 2024, Adams getting the shits on and running away and Mitchell being a bit of a plodder, we need aggression and scoring power from the midfield. Will be a handy rotation for De Goey - both on the field and for FIGJAM similarities.

Keys I'm not sure who is next out of Adelaide and Gold Coast - they're both listed above.

It should read Adelaide

Meaning Monocle you’re back up

With pace to burn and a laser left boot, GWS should be happy to have Harry DeMattia onboard with pick 21.

He’ll be a good fit at GWS, being able to play in any third on the ground and I see him starting down back alongside Whitfield before moving into the middle later as Cogniglio, Ward and Kelly get on in age.

AsterixTheGaul looks like it’s your turn again

Good pick, I took him here for GWS the first time round, and was delighted he got through that far.

Pick 25 Adelaide. Wil Dawson. 200 cm 86 kg. Tall Utility, Gippsland Power.

download-9.jpg

Tall agile with good skills and positional versatility.
Dawson has had an interesting season that essentially had three distinct phases.
He started the season as a KPF, then mid season he was moved into the ruck, but it was his move to CHB in the latter part of the season that announced him as a talent to watch.
His height belies his agility and his ground game is very impressive, a robust and effective tackler and he has good closing speed.

He is also a very late December birthday and had he been born a couple of weeks latter the ne would not have be available for another year.

Good mark, good kick and not surprisingly he has a huge wing span, he uses the levers well.
Once he fills out he will be very difficult to out manoeuvre.

Its his up side thats so appealing and as such warrants selection this early.

He is IMO the a smokie tall, with huge upside.

Last edited:
Writeup for Edwards

-: Charlie Edwards :-
Midfielder/Half Back/Half Forward
DOB - 18/05/05
Height - 191cm
Weight - 85kgs
Sandringham Dragons

Not sure why St Kilda was willing to drop lower but was more than happy to oblige. Was looking at Edwards but thought he'd be gone long before the pick arose was also summing up whether to take Collard based on his testing at the combine but the go home factor put me off. . With Carlton having most bases covered I was looking towards Goad or Murphy at 26 as that long term Ruck/Forward to work with De Koning as I don't really rate Mirkov that highly.

He didn't play in Vic Metro's carnival but his second half of the season with Sandringham was impressive and he played a part in their midfield on the way to the premiership and has spent only one year in the AFL Talent Pathway system after playing underaged football at Sandhurst before moving to Melbourne Grammar. Averaged 17.1 disposals at 76 percent efficiency and kicked seven goals across 12 matches in the Coates Talent League to announce himself as a Draft prospect. His 6:24 in the 2km time trial at the state Draft Combine in Victoria was impressive for a player of his type.

Weapon: Rebound and ball use

AFL player comparison: Bailey Dale (Western Bulldogs)

Had 5 options here I really liked, so was a hard choice. Looked at best available and areas of the list that needed addressing.

Pick 26
Archer Reid (Gippsland Power)

203cm Fwd/Ruck - besides Max King they lack another true key forward, they did get Keeler last year late in the draft and if he works out great but no guarantees. This guys best is elite, but can have quiet games too. But I think in the AFL environment he'll thrive and definitely be a dangerous key forward who moves too well for someone 203cm, can snap quickly around the body, or take marks on the lead or contested grabs. Nice fit for Saints as can play Forward and athletic enough to play stints in the ruck.

Pick 27
Riley Hardeman (Swan Districts)

Wing or half back he has pace to burn and slipped through to here is a steal, his speed out of the back or kicking inside 50 will add some outside class for the Saints. This guy is AFL academy and you can see him having a long career in the red, white and black.
Classy footballer with a really nice kick and likes to run and carry.

No secret out list has gaps bigger than Ben Hurr, so I’m going for a plugging needs first.
We’ve got the jewel in the crown, at this pick I wanted a tall defender. Curtin is obviously gone, as are O’Sullivan and Murphy as expected. Had Arie Schoenmakers been here as I expected him to be I would’ve drafted him, but alas the GOAD got him.

So it’ll be no real surprise with pick 28 West Coast select Zane Zakostelsky aka the other tall defender from Claremont.
Like a few others has flown into contention with late season form, this is a real bang or bust selection. Dude has fire in him, likes the physicality and I think will bring a winners mentality. We are very happy he made it here.

Hawthorn's first-rounders

Pick 6 (was 4)
Nick Watson - Vic Metro/Eastern Ranges/East Ringwood JFC - DOB: 24/02/05 - 170cm/68kg - small forward

Nicknamed 'The Wizard', Watson is an excitement machine who belies his small stature to change games and create quite the highlight real. Described by Rookie Me as "an electric small forward with innate goal sense and elite ground level craft", Watson kicked 14 goals from four games in the National Champs and was named in the All-Australian team.

Why him? Hawthorn are reportedly well into him and it's easy to see why, as he brings a point of difference with his ability to create goals. This is the second time I've picked Watson in two mock draft exercises, but I'm much happier about this selection as I think he's a good fit for the Hawks, with Breust nearing retirement. He's got cult figure written all over him.

Who else? I would have had a tough call to make if Duursma had still been on the board, but him going one pick earlier made that decision for me. I considered Curtin but I think Hawthorn will be reticent to pick another WA key defender with a top-six pick, they've already got one of those on their list and he's struggling. Plus I can't get a read on Curtin's rating, there's been so much conflicting material out there and I don't watch enough junior footy to have my own opinion. Also considered O'Sullivan but I couldn't justify taking him over Watson.

Pick 14 (matching father-son bid)
Will McCabe - South Australia/Central District/Tanunda JFC - DOB: 29/09/05 - 197cm/88kg - key defender

A good sized key defender with the ability to switch forward, McCabe is set to end up at Hawthorn under the father-son rule, with his father Luke playing 138 games in brown and gold. RookieMeCentral describes him as “an athletic key position prospect with eye-catching aerial prowess and serious speed”, which is a great combination for a tall in modern footy.

Why him? He’s likely to get bid on around this range, and it’s pretty tough to see them not matching, especially considering the old man is on the club’s board. Hawthorn do need key defenders so having the ability to get a highly-rated prospect inside the first round in exchange for a few picks in the 40s is a pretty sweet deal for them.

Who else? Well if I’d declined to match I could’ve taken some players in the 40s. No idea who that would be. Most of the better key position prospects will be off the board at that point, so I’d probably be forced to add more smalls.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back