Free Agency Liam Stocker - signed by St Kilda

bmaurizio

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2004
Singapore
AFL Club
Carlton
How do you know he can’t play midfield? And if he can’t, how do you know it’s a lack of discipline holding him back from doing so?

Sounds like a lot of made up nonsense to me.
Liam will be a rotating midfielder hopefully at some point in season 2022 , limited exposure is ok and suited to his form and status, never said otherwise, are you seriously saying he can see out a game in the engine room?
Anyhow wish him success we need him to show his full potential in the next couple of years.
2022 will be exciting and interesting Walsh and Cerra as dedicated young midfielders.

Last edited:
Liam will be a rotating midfielder hopefully at some point in season 2022 , limited exposure is ok and suited to his form and status, never said otherwise, are you seriously saying he can see out a game in the engine room?

I'm saying you have no idea what his tank is like currently or what improvements may have been made in two years within an AFL environment.

More than that though, I'm suggesting it's absurd to simply put his supposed lack of a tank down to a discipline issue. You've just pulled that from nowhere.

bmaurizio

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2004
Singapore
AFL Club
Carlton
I'm saying you have no idea what his tank is like currently or what improvements may have been made in two years within an AFL environment.

More than that though, I'm suggesting it's absurd to simply put his supposed lack of a tank down to a discipline issue. You've just pulled that from nowhere.
If attitude was professional and determined there would not be AFL fitness issues ? also one may recall that he was overlook by another AFL club for these same reasons. He's one of ours now, so I'm not insisting he will not improve , just pointing out Liam has a lot of work to do yet before being an automatic midfield selection, that's obvious and its ridiculous dragging it out to further contention.
Season 2022 will give us insight into his status in team scheme & future development, I hope he will apply himself fully, energizsed by new coaching team and refreshed game plan to produce his very best football.

If attitude was professional and determined there would not be AFL fitness issues ?

What a load of rubbish.

We have absolutely no idea what his tank is like now after two years in the system. Stocker has settled down back, that doesn't mean he hasn't made inroads or can't play midfield.

Also not sure why you're suggesting the only reason someone may not be able to build the tank required to play midfield is they don't want to or don't have the discipline to do it. Sorry, that's just crap. As is the suggestion he hasn't applied himself fully - I just have no idea how you've reached that conclusion.

People have limitations and sometimes those limitations stick regardless of how hard they work at it. It's just nonsense to suggest there's an issue with his attitude or professionalism, you wouldn't have a clue on either of these aspects.

Listen to his recent interview on the CFC website and tell me with a straight face there's an issue with his attitude. You simply couldn't possibly come to that conclusion.

bmaurizio

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2004
Singapore
AFL Club
Carlton
The bombastic hectoring is puerile and amateurish at best, Liam is 22 years old in January next, I certainly hope he’ll have a break out year soon , it would be time one would think? he was projected to become a quality potential midfielder hard nosed and reasonably skillful in his draft class.
No one is criticising Liam for refining his skill set in the back line, some take longer than others , so many before have done so and will after him.
Instead of being negative and sounding monotonously repetitive, let focus on positivity and whether Voss and fresh coaching group can get the best out of Liam as midfield instead.

The bombastic hectoring is puerile and amateurish at best, Liam is 22 years old in January next, I certainly hope he’ll have a break out year soon , it would be time one would think? he was projected to become a quality potential midfielder hard nosed and reasonably skillful in his draft class.
No one is criticising Liam for refining his skill set in the back line, some take longer than others , so many before have done so and will after him.
Instead of being negative and sounding monotonously repetitive, let focus on positivity and whether Voss and fresh coaching group can get the best out of Liam as midfield instead.

Instead of being negative like suggesting the kid doesn't have the requisite attitude or professionalism to make it?

OK then...

How about we just say he's a talented kid who has made great strides in his two years at the club, having all but cemented a spot in our best side, and it's hard to see him not being at Carlton beyond his current contract? Or would that seem too strange of someone who doesn't have the right attitude?

Donnini

Team Captain
Dec 16, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
He had a game or two in VFL where he collected 30+ possessions just got him self in the right positions.
Just like Diesel that didnt need to run much but always got himself in the right positions.

bmaurizio

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2004
Singapore
AFL Club
Carlton
He had a game or two in VFL where he collected 30+ possessions just got him self in the right positions.
Just like Diesel that didnt need to run much but always got himself in the right positions.
I hope it all starts to come together not only for Stocker, but LOB , Philp , Carroll, Kemp , Honey & Durdin improve too.
There’s exciting times ahead with some luck our new coaching team will spike and motivate our youngsters to better and more consistent performances.

Last edited:

Pablito

Premiership Player
Oct 23, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
I hope it all starts to come together not only for Stocker, but LOB , Philp , Carroll, Kemp , Honey & Durdin improve too.
There’s exciting times ahead with some luck our new coaching team will spike and motivate our youngsters to better and more consistent performances.
The likelihood is that at least 4 of those other 6 names won't improve. Seen it all before. Carltons development of young talent is one of the worst in the league.

May 1, 2007
Hawksburn
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
INTER MILAN, VICTORY
Drafted as a midfielder - and I expect him to spend more time there. He played extremely well paying in the midfield for the 2nds. Anyone who thinks he will settle to be a permanent back pocket player is seriously underestimating him and his talent. He is tough as nails and bone-crushing.
If he doesn't get minutes in the middle, then will leave like SPS.

TigerTime88

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 8, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
Walsh, Weitering, Cerra, Harry, Charlie, Cripps would be 'untouchables'

Next crop - Martin, Williams, Hewett, JSOS, Saad, Fisher, TDK, Stocker. 'Highly Valuable'

Veterans - Jones, Ed Curnow, Newman, Sam Docherty

Injured stars - Marchbank, Cunningham, McGovern, Setterfield

Rising Youngsters - Kemp, Durdin, Carrol, Honey, Philp

Marchbank a decent player when fit.
Cunningham, Gov and Setterfield are stars though?

Nov 3, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Sandringham Zebras, Melbourne Renegades
Marchbank a decent player when fit.
Cunningham, Gov and Setterfield are stars though?
Cunners is such a tricky one to assess. He's a natural mid who's been played as a small forward for most his career. Had a BOG performance last year against Essendon, playing in the midfield, yet Teague still returned him to the forward line after that. Being constantly injured doesn't help either.

Gov not quite a star. We had hopes, he disappointed. I still have faith that he can become a very damaging player though.

Setters is far from a star but he was our most improved player last year. There were rumours of him not getting along with Teague, part of that probably because he was an inside mid being played on the wing.

Nov 3, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Sandringham Zebras, Melbourne Renegades
You have about 8 players that want to play on the ball so you won't keep them all
Stocker has said numerous times that he's very happy doing the team thing and playing wherever. In regards to the other mids, every team needs depth. If they're not happy to properly earn their spot, then they can go.

Drunkcat

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 31, 2018
Wagga Wagga
AFL Club
Geelong
Stocker has said numerous times that he's very happy doing the team thing and playing wherever. In regards to the other mids, every team needs depth. If they're not happy to properly earn their spot, then they can go.
What ever they are all stars none will ever want to leave Carlton you are right silly me......I don't care about stocker don't want him i only want fisher

Kings of Lygon

All Australian
Aug 31, 2021
AFL Club
Carlton
Stocker is being under valued by a lot of opposition supporters in here, a lot of Carlton people are wrapped with how he is going, me included. Just has some great traits that will make him a valuable AFL player, wherever he lands on the field IMO. He is a player.

As for the reasoning that "he was drafted as a midfielder but he's only playing defense so he's s**t / a failed pick", that's just lazy. Wasn't Cameron Ling drafted as a chubby, full forward? Liam Jones was a KPF, Chris Mayne a CHF when drafted too. It means jack s**t.

Opine

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 30, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Cant keep all of what?> Hes hardly going to be attracting mega bucks on the trade market if he doesnt take a quantum leap next year. Why would we not be able to keep him and Fisher?

Others clubs aren’t silly. They’ll make informed choices about whether there’s worthy talent on Blues list not adequately developed. It’s reasonable to be concerned that CFC may have unnecessarily splurged on established players, further opening up risk of having talent picked off.
Fisher and others are better than they showed last year; everyone knows that.

Back