The on topic thread 3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Archie Thompson kicked 10 against Solomons(?)…very relevant
Please never again put that a league plodder in comparison to a great centre forward.

The opponent does not matter in thus context. Give the man service and goals flow freely.

[
Please never again put that a league plodder in comparison to a great centre forward.

The opponent does not matter in thus context. Give the man service and goals flow freely.
Have to agree to disagree there. These games against these minnows don’t tell you much.

Could do give his confidence nonetheless…hopefully not this weekend!

Will Kane pick up the tools now or will he still be moping about not getting his move away. Conte won't be as gentle.
Was always a false assumption anyway.

we were 5th for passes completed in opposition half but were 19th under Nuno for forward passes completed in the final 3rd. Downed tools was the lazy analysis.

Oct 5, 2007
Yorta Yorta country
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
BlueCo
Was always a false assumption anyway.

we were 5th for passes completed in opposition half but were 19th under Nuno for forward passes completed in the final 3rd. Downed tools was the lazy analysis.
Yeah maybe mate, my analysis doesn't go any deeper than just watching him play and to me it look a bit like he couldn't be arsed.

Was a shadow of his former self which when considering he didn't get the move he wanted is understandable. But I think Conte will get that out of his system.

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
Why do we still have 5 subs in UEFA games? It was brought in when lock downs meant players couldn't train properly so there was a risk of injury. We are long past that. It reduces the advantage of a dominant team as their opponents get tired.

Why do we still have 5 subs in UEFA games? It was brought in when lock downs meant players couldn't train properly so there was a risk of injury. We are long past that. It reduces the advantage of a dominant team as their opponents get tired.
There is too many games anyways, good for players to get more of a rest.

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Matildas/Socceroos/LFC/MVFC/RCStrasbourg

5 subs is being tabled as a permanent change by ifab.

Yeah maybe mate, my analysis doesn't go any deeper than just watching him play and to me it look a bit like he couldn't be arsed.

Was a shadow of his former self which when considering he didn't get the move he wanted is understandable. But I think Conte will get that out of his system.
Which is my point as to why I don’t believe he gave up. He miraculously put in efforts and scored against weak opponents in the league cup and conference league. Surely those are the platforms to throw in the towel.

That his scoring improved when the opponents became weaker and that the occurrence of dropping deeper to receive the ball became more prevalent, is solely why I think that's well and truly overplayed as an angle. We simply don't/didn't get the ball in dangerous areas at the feet of dangerous forwards anywhere near enough times.

Does anyone care about the Europa Conference League or the Nations League?
UEFA.
They care about money.

As do the ESL 12.
Everything is about money.

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
5 subs is being tabled as a permanent change by ifab.

I wonder if it is being done as a push to make the game more marketable for TV. In some countries, where there is a gap in the play, they put on an advertising segment. That includes during substitutions and after goals.

I like the 11 a side nature of the game over 90 minutes. The one sub rule allowed for a player being injured. 3 subs allows for more injuries but also gave rise to tactical, fitness related and time wasting substitutions. It's a reasonable compromise.

5 subs is not required. It was brought in due to restrictions that are gone now.

5 subs increases the advantage of dominant teams.

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
I wonder if it is being done as a push to make the game more marketable for TV. In some countries, where there is a gap in the play, they put on an advertising segment. That includes during substitutions and after goals.

I like the 11 a side nature of the game over 90 minutes. The one sub rule allowed for a player being injured. 3 subs allows for more injuries but also gave rise to tactical, fitness related and time wasting substitutions. It's a reasonable compromise.

5 subs is not required. It was brought in due to restrictions that are gone now.

Nope, nothing to do with that. More due to the fact that managers hold back on subs due to needing them incase of injuries due to the intense nature of the modern game. Having 5 subs eliminates that issue. Its much better for player welfare also. Times have changed, the game us nothing like it was even before the turn of the century. ifab seem set on making it permanent and it is the righ6 thing to do IMO. European games this season a good example of it.

Sep 5, 2014
Hertford
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Manchester United, Stevenage FC
Which is my point as to why I don’t believe he gave up. He miraculously put in efforts and scored against weak opponents in the league cup and conference league. Surely those are the platforms to throw in the towel.

That his scoring improved when the opponents became weaker and that the occurrence of dropping deeper to receive the ball became more prevalent, is solely why I think that's well and truly overplayed as an angle. We simply don't/didn't get the ball in dangerous areas at the feet of dangerous forwards anywhere near enough times.
Kane, like all great goalscorers, loves a ski. I was a bit surprised he started the 2nd half last night. It was proper Sunday league stuff.

Oct 5, 2007
Yorta Yorta country
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
BlueCo
Someone is losing their job
Screenshot_20211117-070059_Samsung Internet.jpg

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
Nope, nothing to do with that. More due to the fact that managers hold back on subs due to needing them incase of injuries due to the intense nature of the modern game. Having 5 subs eliminates that issue. Its much better for player welfare also. Times have changed, the game us nothing like it was even before the turn of the century. ifab seem set on making it permanent and it is the righ6 thing to do IMO. European games this season a good example of it.

The game has much less physical contact than it used to. It's very rare that all 3 subs are required to swap out injured players. 5 subs were introduced because players were struggling with physical conditioning due to lockdown restrictions. That's not relevant now. 5 subs is now about replacing players who are tired, or for tactical reasons.

There should still be some element in the game where a team gives the opposition the runaround and gains an physical advantage as the game progresses.

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
The game has much less physical contact than it used to. It's very rare that all 3 subs are required to swap out injured players. 5 subs were introduced because players were struggling with physical conditioning due to lockdown restrictions. That's not relevant now. 5 subs is now about replacing players who are tired, or for tactical reasons.

There should still be some element in the game where a team gives the opposition the runaround and gains an physical advantage as the game progresses.

The game is far more intense and physically demanding these days for sure.

Players definitely play with injuries these days because of not enough substitutions. There can be no doubt that extra subs will be in the intetests of player welfare and I again point to European ganes where most teams are using 5 subs in the majority of games.

If Ifab decide to make it permanent it will be looked upon as a good thing IMO. There will be resistance to change just like there was with the backpass rule. Just like with changing a win from 2 pts to 3 pts.

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
The game is far more intense and physically demanding these days for sure.

Players definitely play with injuries these days because of not enough substitutions. There can be no doubt that extra subs will be in the intetests of player welfare and I again point to European ganes where most teams are using 5 subs in the majority of games.

If Ifab decide to make it permanent it will be looked upon as a good thing IMO. There will be resistance to change just like there was with the backpass rule. Just like with changing a win from 2 pts to 3 pts.

With only 1 sub and a much more physical game players used to play with more injuries. Also squads are bigger.

There should still be some element in the game where a team gets a physical advantage from the opposition getting tired by being outplayed. 3 subs is a good compromise and it's working fine in the EPL.

I think you have this backwards. Teams with small squads, i.e. the worse teams, would generally keep their better players on the pitch. For example, are Leeds going to want to sub Raphinha off just because he's tired? By contrast, the better teams, with deep squads, would rotate their best players. United have Cavani on the bench, Greenwood, Martial, etc. 5 subs benefits the better teams.

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
With only 1 sub and a much more physical game players used to play with more injuries. Also squads are bigger.

There should still be some element in the game where a team gets a physical advantage from the opposition getting tired by being outplayed. 3 subs is a good compromise and it's working fine in the EPL.

I heard what you are saying.

But the game was also working fine before the new backpass rule was introduced in 1993. Just like now there were plenty who were against it but ultimately it has proven to be a good thing for the game. The game was also working fine with 2 points awarded for a win and a point for a draw. That rule was also changed to 3 points for a win encouraging more attacking football which it ultimately did.

And substitutes were not even allowed in the game until 1958. Rule changes saw it changed from 0 to 2 then eventually to 3. A change from 3 to 5 is just another evolution of a rule adopting to the modern game. I would say that Ifab making it a permanent rule change would have involved it being thoroughly researched / investigated before it happens.

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
I heard what you are saying.

But the game was also working fine before the new backpass rule was introduced in 1993. Just like now there were plenty who were against it but ultimately it has proven to be a good thing for the game. The game was also working fine with 2 points awarded for a win and a point for a draw. That rule was also changed to 3 points for a win encouraging more attacking football which it ultimately did.

And substitutes were not even allowed in the game until 1958. Rule changes saw it changed from 0 to 2 then eventually to 3. A change from 3 to 5 is just another evolution of a rule adopting to the modern game. I would say that Ifab making it a permanent rule change would have involved it being thoroughly researched / investigated before it happens.

The back pass rule and 3 points for a win have proved to be good progressions. But not all proposed rule changes should be introduced. We have seen golden goal, silver goal, have bigger goals, ABBA penalty shoot outs - all tried and rejected.

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
The back pass rule and 3 points for a win have proved to be good progressions. But not all proposed rule changes should be introduced. We have seen golden goal, silver goal, have bigger goals, ABBA penalty shoot outs - all tried and rejected.

Bigger goals was never implemented as it simply proved too costly to implement with all goal frames needing replacement worldwide.

Golden/Silver goal/ penalty shootouts are all methods of determining a winner for a knock out match tied at the end of regular time so are a little bit different.

We have to remember it took 80 years of football for any subs to be allowed at all. Let's see if Ifab makes it a permanent change, if they do I'll be onboard with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back