News Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread IV

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What a strange thing to state. They either work so we wear them or they don’t work and we shouldn’t bother. What a wanky thing to write.

View attachment 1301545

Hmm I'm not bothered by this statement. They work, we know they do. But I think it also helps to consider the psychological safety effect it might have on someone else, especially for those who are hesitant to wear them.

Even years back I always used to get some comfort from East Asian people wearing masks on public transport, whereas most Aussies seemed to fear it/dislike it

Last edited:

Hmm I'm not bothered by this statement. They work, we know they do. But I think it also helps to consider the psychological safety effect it might have on someone else, especially for those who are hesitant to wear them.

Even years back I always used to get some comfort from East Asian people wearing masks on public transport, whereas most Aussies seemed to fear it/dislike it

I can’t stand it. You wear them because they work, not as a signal. If science proved they’re pretty much useless then they should be abandoned as a mandate.

As for feeling safe, that’s just a psychological thing. It’s a different thing. It’s the same argument people in other countries make for carrying guns.

This isn’t about how we feel. It’s about slowing the spread and nothing else.

Last edited:
I can’t stand it. You wear them because they work not as a signal. If science proved they’re pretty much useless then they should be abandoned as a mandate.

As for feeling safe, that’s just a psychological thing. It’s a different thing. It’s the same argument people in other countries make for carrying guns.

This isn’t about how we feel. It’s about slowing the spread and nothing else.

Completely disagree. During times of crisis, helping people feel that bit more comfortable is bloody huge. We derive comfort from knowing others are wearing masks because we know they work, and we know that the guy who jams himself into a packed lift, maskless, during a period of high spread is a jerk. We're humans mate, not robots, and feelings shouldn't be discounted or seen as wanky when someone points out that others feel better seeing you doing something visually to help limit the spread.

We have 857 confirmed cases of omicron. Was surprised Hojuman how few confirmed cases the US have (2,625) of omicron considering their numbers.

Thanksgiving pre-omicron = Delta.

Completely disagree. During times of crisis, helping people feel that bit more comfortable is bloody huge. We derive comfort from knowing others are wearing masks because we know they work, and we know that the guy who jams himself into a packed lift, maskless, during a period of high spread is a jerk. We're humans mate, not robots, and feelings shouldn't be discounted or seen as wanky when someone points out that others feel better seeing you doing something visually to help limit the spread.

I think we’re having a slightly different conversation then what I intended when I posted that doctors tweet.

There’s a lot of people out there that think masks are useless against the virus. Apparently there’s some scientists and doctors that are saying they’re pretty much useless so people are questioning why we have to wear them.

Now I personally don’t know what’s true and what’s not. Like everything else in this pandemic there’s too much information and misinformation to even bother to look into it. Im just following the rules because I expect the government has the best scientists and doctors advising them. So yeah, I agree, that dude that gets on a packed train is a dick, and so is everyone who wears their mask below their nose like some sort of half arsed weak as piss act of defiance (those people annoy me more then the ones who don’t wear masks because they’re cowards).

What I was getting at with the doctor sharing his opinion on mask wearing is that it actually strengthens the argument people have for not wearing a mask. The message should only be wear a mask because it stops the spread. Nothing else. You should read the comments below his tweet to see what I mean.

There’s a lot of people out there that think masks are useless against the virus. Apparently there’s some scientists and doctors that are saying they’re pretty much useless

No one credible is saying that.

It's akin to saying "there's scientists who say climate change isn't real!"

Yeah, I'm sure there are. But they're wrong and just because they're a 'scientist' doesn't make them correct.

Are masks 100% effective? No. Do they help? Yes - significantly.

It's that simple.

Would say that tweet is nowhere near as irresponsible as the former leader of the free world who constantly tweeted poor advice.

At least there doesn't seem as many folk in that thread who were likely part of the loud minority lost their s**t when DT was deplatformed.

No one credible is saying that.

It's akin to saying "there's scientists who say climate change isn't real!"

Yeah, I'm sure there are. But they're wrong and just because they're a 'scientist' doesn't make them correct.

Are masks 100% effective? No. Do they help? Yes - significantly.

It's that simple.

No s**t. That’s not the point I’m making.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would say that tweet is nowhere near as irresponsible as the former leader of the free world who constantly tweeted poor advice.

At least there doesn't seem as many folk in that thread who were likely part of the loud minority lost their sh*t when DT was deplatformed.

Worse is their health guru Dr Fauci who lied and said they don’t work and then said they do work.

Standing in a very long line outside waiting for prawns this morning, i would estimate it was a 50% split of masked and unmasked.

There was no unmasked people belittling or abusing the masked and there were no masked people berating the unmasked.

People just getting on with it and minding their own business and hoping the line would move quicker.

Worse is their health guru Dr Fauci who lied and said they don’t work and then said they do work.

I didn't agree with that, but if they did, then there would have been toilet paper gate x100.

This is the issue, with a highly contagious airborne virus, the standard masks people are using are ineffective. You might as well strap a sieve on your face. When Alpha/Beta variants which spread via droplets they did provide some protection. You would have to wear a N95 of KN95 mask to get just a basic level of protection.

Most people only have access to a singly ply cloth mask.

I disagree with mandating something just for feelings. We should take a science based approach. If it makes you feel better, wear whatever you want to wear. This constant lying to people and forcing them to do s**t that makes no difference is what is eroding trust in the government and our medical health "experts".

Man, even CNN is saying it is bullshit, you know how obvious s**t is if they are going against the party line.

This is the issue, with a highly contagious airborne virus, the standard masks people are using are ineffective. You might as well strap a sieve on your face. When Alpha/Beta variants which spread via droplets they did provide some protection. You would have to wear a N95 of KN95 mask to get just a basic level of protection.

Most people only have access to a singly ply cloth mask.

I disagree with mandating something just for feelings. We should take a science based approach. If it makes you feel better, wear whatever you want to wear. This constant lying to people and forcing them to do sh*t that makes no difference is what is eroding trust in the government and our medical health "experts".

Man, even CNN is saying it is bullshit, you know how obvious sh*t is if they are going against the party line.

surgical masks are better than cloth but N95 is the best.
Just make sure the ones you're buying fit your face properly, if you can breathe into it and there's air escaping then it wont protect you as much.
At the hospital its surgical around the buildings but N95 in the covid wards; obviously wear full PPE too.

Standing in a very long line outside waiting for prawns this morning, i would estimate it was a 50% split of masked and unmasked.

There was no unmasked people belittling or abusing the masked and there were no masked people berating the unmasked.

People just getting on with it and minding their own business and hoping the line would move quicker.

People are usually only mean on the internet but it is starting to spill over a bit.

I just got back from the shops and a lot of people seemed pissed off, but that was just because of the Christmas crowd.

Look at how some people lash out if you imply they're not superheroes for wearing 2mm off fabric over their mouths lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back