News Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread IV

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lot of misinformation out there mate, no doubt. Just don't understand why you got so worked up about a largely inoffensive tweet. sh*t more in the world to be upset over mate. Especially on Twitter of all places.

Because it’s from a doctor who has been at Harvard, WHO & with 45k followers and he basically just said wear a mask to make people feel better. That’s not science.

Look at how some people lash out if you imply they're not superheroes for wearing 2mm off fabric over their mouths lol.

Look at how some people have a tantrum if you imply they're not a maverick independent thinker if they don't wear a mask.

The point of mask wearing isn't to stop you getting infected. Its to stop you infecting other people. That was made really clear back in the middle of last year (in 2020). Its why surgical and 3 ply cloth masks were recommended. So if you're infected in public you aren't passing on the virus. They aren't sposed to protect you from the environment. Surgical masks were designed to protect patients from surgeons during surgical procedures where the patient might be exposed to infection if the surgeon coughed or sneezed or breated infected material onto an open surgical (or other traumatic) wound.

If they wanted people protected from the environment they'd have mandated n95 masks.

If a mask doesn't stop you getting infected, it doesn't stop you infecting other people. It is not like a magical one-way door.

Surgical masks were designed to protect the doctor from breathing in or swallowing splashes or sprays of bodily fluids from patients.

There isn't any science behind wearing masks currently, last time it made any sense was back during the alpha and beta variants before it became airborne and ironically when masks were useful they told us masks didn't do anything.

We have known since June when we have had the first documented transmission of the delta variant where two peoples' only point of contact was caught on CCTV and there was no cough or sneeze, they just passed by and occupied the same air space for literally a second and the infection was spread. Omicron is 8x more transmissible than delta.

This reads like a Caroline Wilson article...

'If you get it, you may well get a fantastic natural long and strong boost,' he told the Today show on Friday. 'We may be heading towards herd immunity.

'The virologists have been telling us that the virus tends to - doesn't definitely, but tends to - evolve to less severity.'

We also may be visited by aliens.

If a mask doesn't stop you getting infected, it doesn't stop you infecting other people. It is not like a magical one-way door.

Surgical masks were designed to protect the doctor from breathing in or swallowing splashes or sprays of bodily fluids from patients.

There isn't any science behind wearing masks currently, last time it made any sense was back during the alpha and beta variants before it became airborne and ironically when masks were useful they told us masks didn't do anything.

We have known since June when we have had the first documented transmission of the delta variant where two peoples' only point of contact was caught on CCTV and there was no cough or sneeze, they just passed by and occupied the same air space for literally a second and the infection was spread. Omicron is 8x more transmissible than delta.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Masks definitely help but I think what can't happen is another lockdown.

Too many people have made the sacrifices already and the thing is, if you get COVID, live with it. That's basically it. Get the vaccine booster (if you feel comfortable) so it gives you the best chance of limiting the symptoms. People are dying, but more permanent mental barriers are being planted on those that live.

As much as it sounds radical (to stay open despite the quick transmission of Omicron) from that perspective, it is honestly the only option from here. Boosters or not, re-developed vaccines or not, give people the freedom they deserve. They followed the restrictions, did what they had to do, and I think it should stop there. I was for-lockdowns but man, it really does drag you down.

Bring back masks yes, but don't take their freedoms away. We have already suffered beyond the limit mentally. Myself included. I want people to enjoy themselves.

It was painful to just go to work (get a antigen test beforehand and hope you weren't positive), wait in the car, get your result, go to work, realise you are going straight home after, and repeat. It was torture to see how much it was having an impact on everyone. I don't think anyone slept all that well. It was just horrific. You need free time to think, breathe and restart. How do you do that stuck indoors basically isolated from families, friends (if you don't work with them) and other close people?

Whether we like it or not, hospitalisations will happen and increase. All that is required is to wear masks and get a booster if you are comfortable with that.

Just stop screwing around with people's schedules, plans, basically their lives. We have suffered enough.

When our boys become a contender again, it would absolutely be soul-destroying if we couldn't be there to witness the magic of ultimate success.

I recently watched a clip from the movie 'Wall-E' and it is such a relevant movie right now. Auto, the ships bot that is programmed to conserve the human race, is against the captain's order to revisit what was a hazardous and dangerous wasteland (Earth) so they can rebuild the natural resources.

The captain preaching 'I don't wanna survive, I wanna live!' is so relevant here. The context is different, but the theme is spot on.

Such a good movie too and it's a kids movie!

It won't.

It can’t. Imagine going into lockdown with a population that’s over 90% vaccinated?! Wouldn’t make any sense.

Though there is a strange element that seems to be getting off on living through these lockdowns, restrictions, etc. they’re like the opposite to the cookers that are protesting in the city every week, they’re just as extreme but only on the other side of the scale. Future historians are going to have a field day with this, though admittedly it’s barely a blip on the radar compared to other historically significant events.

It can’t. Imagine going into lockdown with a population that’s over 90% vaccinated?! Wouldn’t make any sense.

Though there is a strange element that seems to be getting off on living through these lockdowns, restrictions, etc. they’re like the opposite to the cookers that are protesting in the city every week, they’re just as extreme but only on the other side of the scale. Future historians are going to have a field day with this, though admittedly it’s barely a blip on the radar compared to other historically significant events.
Exactly, it can't and it won't, nothing surer.

I dunno about those other folk, i havent seen them myself, but if they're as dumb as the protesters then they too fall in the category of: not worth anyone's attention.

Exactly, it can't and it won't, nothing surer.

I dunno about those other folk, i havent seen them myself, but if they're as dumb as the protesters then they too fall in the category of: not worth anyone's attention.

Yeah they’re out there. They’re just the polar opposite of the protesters so obviously not as noticeable. It’s a spectrum, on one end we have the plandemic conspiracy nuts on the other end there’s germaphobes, both are nqr.

An example would be someone who double masks whilst driving alone and says things like “things are never going to be like they were before” or they’ll ring 000 if they see someone in the supermarket without a mask on.

Maybe in opposite world the bold is true lol....
I suggest you do some reading on the topic.

Okay, in ye olden days when we didn't know anything about germs, they thought the surgical mask could protect patients in an operation. The more modern surgical mask designed in the 60s was still intended for droplet protection for both the surgeon and the patient.

1640345312368.png

At close range, anything other than a hazmat suit is kind of pointless. As soon as covid went airborne, attempting to mitigate the spread of infection went from reality into comfort blanket levels of logic.

Whatever happened to , innocent until proven guilty ?
That applies to the courts and has no relevance whatsoever outside of the courts.

Your argument is used to shut down debate. If people are always innocent before being proven guilty, how can they ever be bought to trial?
After all they are innocent of any and all crimes, you just said so.

Okay, in ye olden days when we didn't know anything about germs, they thought the surgical mask could protect patients in an operation. The more modern surgical mask designed in the 60s was still intended for droplet protection for both the surgeon and the patient.

View attachment 1301827

At close range, anything other than a hazmat suit is kind of pointless. As soon as covid went airborne, attempting to mitigate the spread of infection went from reality into comfort blanket levels of logic.
Your image there doesn't show any cases where the spreader is wearing a mask.
See this one? Top right?
mSphere.00637-20-f0002.jpg
That's why we wear them. The only time a decent quality mask is effective is to reduce risk to others, not to protect oneself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back