Star Wars The Book of Boba Fett

Remove this Banner Ad

Isn't it funny how when JJ Abrams and Lucasfilm were gearing up to release the sequel trilogy there was a whole vibe of "the prequels? Nah mate never heard of them" and now the most universally liked episode of this series is an episode that just seems to be a love letter to episode 1, with Pit Droids helping to put together the Queen of Naboo's starfighter then having that starfighter test drive around the pod racing track?

Its why I think it's funny that there are people out there insisting that the sequel trilogy will be erased from canon. Let's have Mando and Grogu go visit the Palpatine cloning facility and fight the Knights of Ren with a young General Holdo next season.

This episode sums up every annoyance I've got with this series. It was utter filler eye candy for SW geeks...beautiful effects, planet shots and N1 footage arguably the best ever seen in anything SW in 45 years...you can tell where the budget for this series went...but story wise a definitive f### you to the character of Boba Fett. Cameo fanboi service...same thing that killed Rise of Skywalker. If I'm explaining to the GF what darksaber and its history and where it fits into the Mandalorian during a limited series of BF, then we have a major problem with this show. The priority is plugging Mando, not giving the title character his due...

So conflicting...how can something so cool be shafted so badly, how can something so badly shafted still make a grumpy fanboi grin like an idiot...GF, who still needs converting, shook her head and walked out for a bit when I went "aww, sweet, that's a Naboo starfighter". She hasn't gone Full Nerd yet, but we're close. Loved that little bit where he fell off the walkway sparring with the armourer, and three seconds later had jetted back onto it like nothing had happened...reminded me of many hours playing Bounty Hunter, falling off high places and hitting the jetpack button out of pure reflex...!

This episode sums up every annoyance I've got with this series. ...but story wise a definitive f### you to the character of Boba Fett.
You dont know how it ends so stuff that happened this episode could be important for the rest of the Boba Fett storyline.

This episode sums up every annoyance I've got with this series. It was utter filler eye candy for SW geeks...beautiful effects, planet shots and N1 footage arguably the best ever seen in anything SW in 45 years...you can tell where the budget for this series went...but story wise a definitive f### you to the character of Boba Fett. Cameo fanboi service...same thing that killed Rise of Skywalker. If I'm explaining to the GF what darksaber and its history and where it fits into the Mandalorian during a limited series of BF, then we have a major problem with this show. The priority is plugging Mando, not giving the title character his due...

So conflicting...how can something so cool be shafted so badly, how can something so badly shafted still make a grumpy fanboi grin like an idiot...GF, who still needs converting, shook her head and walked out for a bit when I went "aww, sweet, that's a Naboo starfighter". She hasn't gone Full Nerd yet, but we're close. Loved that little bit where he fell off the walkway sparring with the armourer, and three seconds later had jetted back onto it like nothing had happened...reminded me of many hours playing Bounty Hunter, falling off high places and hitting the jetpack button out of pure reflex...!

With the amount of exposition the Armourer was doling out I wouldn't have thought you'd need to be explaining that!

I really enjoy the sound of the darksaber. It’s a lightsaber yes, but not the same generic hum/sound. When it lights up or off, the noise it makes gets me every time.

Also, if he’s going to try and visit Grogu, which I’m not even sure will happen, that surely means a glimpse at the Jedi academy? Or if too soon in the timeline (unsure how long exactly after ROTJ that Luke establishes this), then is there another appearance of Luke on the cards? It’s odd that I’m even pondering these questions in a series about Boba Fett.

I really enjoy the sound of the darksaber. It’s a lightsaber yes, but not the same generic hum/sound. When it lights up or off, the noise it makes gets me every time.

Also, if he’s going to try and visit Grogu, which I’m not even sure will happen, that surely means a glimpse at the Jedi academy? Or if too soon in the timeline (unsure how long exactly after ROTJ that Luke establishes this), then is there another appearance of Luke on the cards? It’s odd that I’m even pondering these questions in a series about Boba Fett.

I think that will be off-screen to be honest. Think next ep will be Fett bringing in other muscle with Mando returning end of the ep ahead of the finale.

Seems a bit odd that we haven't got more nuance/build up to the climax, and really comes across as them not having enough material for the season so padding it out with flashbacks and Mando side plot.

I think that will be off-screen to be honest. Think next ep will be Fett bringing in other muscle with Mando returning end of the ep ahead of the finale.

Seems a bit odd that we haven't got more nuance/build up to the climax, and really comes across as them not having enough material for the season so padding it out with flashbacks and Mando side plot.

I wonder how much of a pivot there was in this production due to Covid. It seems more of a compressed season (7 episodes instead of 8 or 10). I do think as time goes on this story thread won’t be wrapped up in the remaining two episodes, and the arc will be continued in either a season 2 of BOBF or in season 3 of Mando.

It doesn’t make much sense, in terms of this story narrative, to then have a subplot of Mando seeking to visit Grogu. That is much more logical to happen in his next season.

I wonder how much of a pivot there was in this production due to Covid. It seems more of a compressed season (7 episodes instead of 8 or 10). I do think as time goes on this story thread won’t be wrapped up in the remaining two episodes, and the arc will be continued in either a season 2 of BOBF or in season 3 of Mando.

It doesn’t make much sense, in terms of this story narrative, to then have a subplot of Mando seeking to visit Grogu. That is much more logical to happen in his next season.

Yeah saw someone tweet that "Well Han/Leia aren't on Dagobah with Luke, that's the equivalent of this" well.. except Han/Leia are in the first act of that film, (Mando wasn't in the first few eps of this season), and the scenes on Dagobah are intercut with scenes on Cloud City (we don't see what Boba is doing during Din's sideplot). It feels very jarring.

The equivalent I was thinking of is if we got a season 1 of Breaking Bad with 7 eps, in the first ep he finds out he has cancer, eps two and three are flashbacks about him, then we get a small amount of progression (maybe he starts making drugs) then suddenly get an ep about Jessie off on his own with zero WW. It just doesn't make narrative sense. It could be a great ep, but it's not the show.

Yeah saw someone tweet that "Well Han/Leia aren't on Dagobah with Luke, that's the equivalent of this" well.. except Han/Leia are in the first act of that film, (Mando wasn't in the first few eps of this season), and the scenes on Dagobah are intercut with scenes on Cloud City (we don't see what Boba is doing during Din's sideplot). It feels very jarring.

The equivalent I was thinking of is if we got a season 1 of Breaking Bad with 7 eps, in the first ep he finds out he has cancer, eps two and three are flashbacks about him, then we get a small amount of progression (maybe he starts making drugs) then suddenly get an ep about Jessie off on his own with zero WW. It just doesn't make narrative sense. It could be a great ep, but it's not the show.

The more I think of it the more out of place the episode seems. It was fantastic. An excellent episode. I see it was directed by Bryce Dallas Howard, who obviously has an excellent grasp on the content given she’s directed Mando episodes before in both seasons. So in that respect, she seems that she was tasked with making another episode of The Mandalorian. Which she delivered big time.

However it’s not necessarily a seamless fit into The Book of Boba Fett. Two things can be true at once. I enjoyed it very much. However scratching my head a little as to where we are now placed in the broader Boba narrative.

The episode has really thrown the fans into a bit of a spin. Many have conjectured the same thing, even me. It will be fascinating how they resolve all these plot issues and in what series. One thing is for sure, expect the unexpected. But I still loved last night's episode, and I don't think it hurt the show one bit. I don't get this buyer's remorse for it today. It was fantastic.

The episode has really thrown the fans into a bit of a spin. Many have conjectured the same thing, even me. It will be fascinating how they resolve all these plot issues and in what series. One thing is for sure, expect the unexpected. But I still loved last night's episode, and I don't think it hurt the show one bit. I don't get this buyer's remorse for it today. It was fantastic.

Don't think anyone has buyer's remorse about it being a good episode of television, just unhappiness with the pacing and style of the show Book of Boba Fett, which clearly has been undercooked.

No such remorse from myself. Really enjoyed it for what it was. And looking forward to rewatching it with my son who will appreciate the many nods to episode 1 etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No such remorse from myself. Really enjoyed it for what it was. And looking forward to rewatching it with my son who will appreciate the many nods to episode 1 etc.

Him taking the N-1 through Beggar's Canyon was fantastic.

The episodes in isolation have been great and enjoyable IMO.

With that being said, the criticism around the pacing and structure of the season is perfectly valid. Is all over the place and seems almost definite that this incarnation of the season wasn't their first choice.

Seems a bit odd that we haven't got more nuance/build up to the climax
I've been thinking that since the Hutt twins came and left in the blink of an eye: if you wanted Boba to do the whole Pike thing, maybe drop it leading into a second season. Have the first one with the Hutt twins being the the big bad and Black K being the secondary antagonist. Have Boba stake and win his claim as Daimyo in Mos Espa, before bringing in the even greater challenge that was alluded to earlier.

That said, I too, loved this episode of The Mandalorian.

Last edited:

I'm leaning this way too now. I reckon the next two episodes might both be Boba gathering more muscle to set up a big Boba and friends vs the Pykes battle in another season or mini series or maybe even a Disney+ movie? If that's where they go, then the obvious question for me then is who else would be bring in as muscle, because surely it's not just going to be previously unknown characters. Bo Katan? Ahsoka? Luke? Bossk? Han? Its gonna be something super fanservicey, that's for sure.

I'm leaning this way too now. I reckon the next two episodes might both be Boba gathering more muscle to set up a big Boba and friends vs the Pykes battle in another season or mini series or maybe even a Disney+ movie? If that's where they go, then the obvious question for me then is who else would be bring in as muscle, because surely it's not just going to be previously unknown characters. Bo Katan? Ahsoka? Luke? Bossk? Han? Its gonna be something super fanservicey, that's for sure.

We haven't even seen the Pykes do much though have we? Other than hire a few assassins Boba dealt with pretty easily, so why should he need as much muscle as he's gathering? We need to see more of what they can do.

And what about the Hutts? They just seem such a second thought add in now.

And the Rancor? I thought Boba was going to learn to ride it, are we going to get that rushed through in the last episode or two?

We haven't even seen the Pykes do much though have we? Other than hire a few assassins Boba dealt with pretty easily, so why should he need as much muscle as he's gathering? We need to see more of what they can do.

And what about the Hutts? They just seem such a second thought add in now.

And the Rancor? I thought Boba was going to learn to ride it, are we going to get that rushed through in the last episode or two?

Maybe he goes to the Hutts to recruit more muscle (go on, get the Twins on the team), that would at least make their two minute cameo worthwhile? If he hadn't already got Krrsantan involved I could picture it.

You're not wrong with the Pykes. Another thing this series hasn't done particularly well.

We haven't even seen the Pykes do much though have we?
They rode in a train once.

That's pretty much been the tale of the season: characters are rushed afterthoughts, and everything seems out of order. I feel like we're going to end up in a 3rd season then there's going to be a flashback of Boba learning about riding the rancor.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back