Position 2022 Fantasy Midfielders

Remove this Banner Ad

I tend to stick by a rule of not having more than 1 player from the same real life position in my side. So for me to justify not having Crouch at this stage, is because I already have Dawson. Ideal world is Dawson takes all the pill and Crouch has none to seperate me from the others having Crouch ... Silly thinking or?

Only exception I make for this rule is rooks and I allow two Dogs players bc of Bevo
Maybe. They've said they want the ball in Dawson's hands. Could see Crouch being the one expected to win it on the inside for him.

Definitely plus you guys have Laird too. Laird is close to being an uber premo and then you're banking on Dawson or Crouch. Don't think all 3 are going to ton up.
Laird is too much with Crouch coming back in the side for me. He always finds a way to score though.

I think it's vital to have 'value' picks in your side and I've gone with as many as I can fit in. As we all saw last year, just having 2 trades/week wasn't enough to fix issues and try to upgrade your side, probably wont be much different this year being exacerbated by Covid.

I like to have a 20-25pt upside in my MP's but even a 7pt upside in a discounted premium has me looking. Matt Crouch IMO has a 30pt upside and as a discounted premium he ticks both boxes as a value pick (provided he stays fit) I have Neale with a possible 10pt upside. I don't have Cogs yet because I don't see him getting that lucrative mid role (if he ever does) until punchable is back, if he gets a better scoring curve then I'll jump on.

I started last year with all of the top priced picks/line and it hurt in the end because a lot of them dropped in value which allowed other coaches to improve their teams with the players I had and I was left floundering picking the dud discounted premos. Because I was dealing with other issues in my team I failed to get Touk/Steele/Hall/Cumming/Parish etc which hurt more. I did get Jelly and De goey.

This year I'm going in more heavily weighted with MP's and value picks. The key will be identifying mistake picks early and jumping on those players that could take off.

I really don't care enough about Matt Crouch to keep this going so I will just state my position for you.

I've said more than once that I want to see him perform in the preseason. I even bolded it for you.

I've mentioned his upside. I've said that I am watching him. I've said that if his performance in the preseason warrants it, I will start him. He has been 130+ points per 100% TOG for the last 3 seasons he has played.

His fantasy game is unlikely to change a large amount. Even if his groin is held together with duct tape and optimism he was never an explosive or fast player. He accumulates by his positioning which is more reliant on intelligence than his physical attributes.

I have Rowell, likely most people will start due to his junior pedigree and being locked into the starting midfield at GC. Caldwell preseason watch with durability (missed preseason sessions with hamstring in December) and role uncertainty.
I don't feel the need to dance around the fact he's had a limited pre-season. It's the one thing we actually know at this point. If he was fit he'd be having a normal pre-season.

Aside from Duncan (who's already shown he can go 100+ off no pre-season) and regardless of pre-season game form, I'm saying it isn't wise to start a guy that's had a limited pre-season, period. Priced at 77 he still needs to go around the 100 mark relatively soon off the bat to be a better pick than a lot of the other under priced options in a similar bracket.

Crouch is not clearly an upgrade target. If he is fit he is likely to start satisfactorily. If he doesn't and stays at 600k like you suggest, no one is trading him in then for the potential to go 100+. If they can justify doing that they would have just started with him.
Upgrading to fallen premos is a key component of the game. Unless every single upgrade is to a 800k - 1M player (which is never the case) you'll always be trading in fallen premos based on their potential for the rest of the season, not based on what they've already done. Saying nobody will trade him in at around that price for his potential after he's shown a 100+ or two just isn't true. The game is all about getting the right players at the right time. If he's going to start only satisfactory like you said, (i.e not beating his price by a lot) then starting him just to lock away an undetermined time when he should become good value isn't the way to go. It's not how you finish top 1000 or top 100.

I didn't make the Coniglio comparison. You did. Pretty shysty stats. Correct on their best seasons but the last time Cogs averaged 100+ was 2019, Crouch did it in 2021. You've also cherry picked a short games range where Crouch didn't play an entire season and interestingly just short of the season where Cogs played 7 games. Over their entire careers the games played is nearly identical despite Coniglio being a ready to go midfielder from the WAFL.
I quoted games missed in the last 4 years for both. Cogs missed a lot of games before that but how exactly is it cherry picking some sort of short time period. At this point I'm just going to say as nicely as I can that you talk a lot of s**t.

In any case I brought up that stats comparison as you said Cogs has a bad injury history and never scored the same as Crouch, when their scoring when both fit + recent time missed is almost identical. I gave you the stats in black and white which you called shiesty as they didn't suit your narrative.

Always up for a good debate. Getting sick of talking about Matt Crouch now
Can i interst you in Brad Crouch?

Last edited:
Currently I have Serong (breakout candidate) and Cripps and Crouch (bounce back candidates) that are all priced around 77-82 and I am projecting will all touch 100, potentially some up to 105. Therefore each about 20-25 unders.

Caldwell was always on the shortlist but have recently been playing with teams that have that more expensive midfielder at M5.

However, Caldwell is looking really good so far and i'm getting kind of randy with him.

Thoughts on Caldwell vs Cripps or Crouch?

Currently I have Serong (breakout candidate) and Cripps and Crouch (bounce back candidates) that are all priced around 77-82 and I am projecting will all touch 100, potentially some up to 105. Therefore each about 20-25 unders.

Caldwell was always on the shortlist but have recently been playing with teams that have that more expensive midfielder at M5.

However, Caldwell is looking really good so far and i'm getting kind of randy with him.

Thoughts on Caldwell vs Cripps or Crouch?
Personally I don't like any of the picks as they all have huge risk associated with them but Crouch has the most upside since he's done it so many times. Caldwell is seriously juicy at that price though and I think he could make you good money very quickly, assuming he stays fit for long enough...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People are really sleeping on Danger this pre-season. Hasn't missed a session, and hasn't been playing forward at all - Selwood, I. Smith, Higgins and Duncan all rotating through but not Danger.

If he plays mid full time and stays fit, no reason he can't average 110+, IMO. Only 3% ownership and priced at 728K - it's pretty ridiculous just how underrated he is right now

People are really sleeping on Danger this pre-season. Hasn't missed a session, and hasn't been playing forward at all - Selwood, I. Smith, Higgins and Duncan all rotating through but not Danger.

If he plays mid full time and stays fit, no reason he can't average 110+, IMO. Only 3% ownership and priced at 728K - it's pretty ridiculous just how underrated he is right now
Very much on my radar .....reckon Danger will make a statement this year

I could never do it, but Polec has been EVERYWHERE today

He was in my first team I made. Danger at $720k seems a no brainer on paper.

But then of course 2 or 3 months of overthinking things you end up with Daniel Rioli in your side instead.

I do see only upside in Danger though. If he plays pure mid he's 105+ average almost guaranteed. If he plays a forward split and gets forward status... well even better.

Thoughts on Oliver? Seems a safe 110 and super durable/consistent. Now that Walsh is out, Oliver feels just about the pick of those 110 priced options. Other than the big 4 of Steele, Touk, Macrae and Titch, Oliver feels one of the softest premium mids. 24 years of age so still mightn’t have peaked

Thoughts on Oliver? Seems a safe 110 and super durable/consistent. Now that Walsh is out, Oliver feels just about the pick of those 110 priced options. Other than the big 4 of Steele, Touk, Macrae and Titch, Oliver feels one of the softest premium mids. 24 years of age so still mightn’t have peaked
Have owned Oliver for the past two years.

Had a poor run of a few games last year, but apart from that is very consistent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back