Movie The Batman (2021) SPOILERS!

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s exquisite, absolutely loved it. The most minor criticism I can pass is that I don’t think the big finale quite lands as well as it could have.

Seeing it tomorrow afternoon. Is your opinion likely to be a general consensus, or just your personal feel and can still look at the ending with an open mind?

It’s exquisite, absolutely loved it. The most minor criticism I can pass is that I don’t think the big finale quite lands as well as it could have. It doesn’t feel like 3 hours and shout out to Zoe. I didn’t think anyone would match Michelle but she did it in her own way.

I’m POSITIVE he was originally credited as some random named cop to throw off the scent. Barry Keoghan is his name and he’s really good

yep spot on, originally he was cast as police officer Merkel or similar, which was a nice decoy/misdirect. He’s now listed as “unseen Arkham prisoner”.

I would agree with phantom. For me it could be a minor criticism, but I'm not too bothered..

Dang.

Not my place phantom13 as this is your hood and I'll vacate the thread as I should, and totally happy if you disagree but not sure whether part of your post regarding ending is worth putting in tags too?

Dang.

Not my place phantom13 as this is your hood and I'll vacate the thread as I should, and totally happy if you disagree but not sure whether part of your post regarding ending is worth putting in tags too?
My post that the finale doesn’t quite land for me personally?

Which part of that is a spoiler? I think most people would assume that there is a finale…

come back after you’ve seen it cause I think you think I’m talking about something else.

Fwiw it’s the nittiest of picks on my behalf and does absolutely nothing to diminish the film. It’s brilliant.

Yep, will do mate.

Very antsy and can't wait haha.

yep spot on, originally he was cast as police officer Merkel or similar, which was a nice decoy/misdirect. He’s now listed as “unseen Arkham prisoner”.

So it turns out the Barry Keoghan as Joker was a leak rather than a rumour. I beleived he would be as he plays demented people a bit. I thought he did well with his scene even though I couldnt see him properly.

Yes the Iceberg Lounge scenes were brilliant. “Do you know who I am?” haha

And yes that’s absolutely the Joker. Same actor who played Druig in Eternals, he’s credited as “unknown Arkham prisoner” or something to that effect.
Watch the Killing of a Sacred Deer and you will get a glimpse of him.

Well that was an absolute masterpiece in my mind.

One of the best shot films I’ve ever seen. The cinematography was out of this world.

Kravitz and Dano were the standouts in terms of acting for mine. Pattinson blended in so well with the tone and atmosphere of the movie that it was almost like he was part of the set, that’s not to say he wasn’t impressive as Batman/Wayne at all, he was perfect for what they were going for.

Yeah it was long but every shot and scene felt deliberate and tasteful.

edit: Oh and the music! wow

Last edited:
I recall watching Joker for the first time and being blown away by the score by Hildur Guonadottir’s score, which she then went on to win awards for including the Oscar. Joaquin Phoenix was obviously outstanding too.

I’m certainly no film buff and as well versed as others on the array of films each year, however I have a similar vibe for this score and the cinematography. Both of which were mind blowing. And critical in making this movie so damn good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That was great. The Batmobile reveal was the highlight. It felt like a ******* demon, brilliant sound design.

It really did feel like a fresh take on Batman as far as live action potrayals go. I really liked the set up of him weaponisng every shadow and the sound of his steps when he comes out of them and Pattinson was fantastic emoting so much with just his eyes alot of the time. The scene were he was looking at the mayors kid after he died for example and his aversion to guns and killing being a result of trauma from what he witnessed that night.

Dano was great and im glad we are potentially going to see alot more of him. I really keen to see that character develop. I like the reveal that he thought Batman was an ally and had latched onto him psychologically then seemingly transferred that onto the Joker during their breif interaction. I just hope he stands on his own down the line rather then just being a pawn for the Joker. I got all excited after when I realised Reeves has actually set up the main villians from the Adam West show potentially working as a group like they did in that show. Though Selina would not fit into that group with her potrayal here. The trailers made it seem like she was a Catwoman that is only out for herself and wasnt entirely moral but she is pretty much a good person here.

The twist of Carmine being the rat was well done because you would not suspect it, a point really well displayed by Penguin's reaction to the reveal. Falcone's whole arc and relevance was a suprise to me (great tactic to keep him entirely out of the trailers) and very reminiscent of Fisk's arc in the Daredevil show, particularly season 3.

That show is prob the best comic book adaption thats ever been done across tv and film. Its not perfect but it has some of the highest highs. There are similarities between Matt and Bruce in the respective potrayals. I guess that stems from Frank Miller setting up the current tone for both these characters back in the 80's.

Anyway thats enough of my essay but I cant help myself when it comes to Batman.

That was great. The Batmobile reveal was the highlight. It felt like a ******* demon, brilliant sound design.

It really did feel like a fresh take on Batman as far as live action potrayals go. I really liked the set up of him weaponisng every shadow and the sound of his steps when he comes out of them and Pattinson was fantastic emoting so much with just his eyes alot of the time. The scene were he was looking at the mayors kid after he died for example and his aversion to guns and killing being a result of trauma from what he witnessed that night.

Dano was great and im glad we are potentially going to see alot more of him. I really keen to see that character develop. I like the reveal that he thought Batman was an ally and had latched onto him psychologically then seemingly transferred that onto the Joker during their breif interaction. I just hope he stands on his own down the line rather then just being a pawn for the Joker. I got all excited after when I realised Reeves has actually set up the main villians from the Adam West show potentially working as a group like they did in that show. Though Selina would not fit into that group with her potrayal here. The trailers made it seem like she was a Catwoman that is only out for herself and wasnt entirely moral but she is pretty much a good person here.

The twist of Carmine being the rat was well done because you would not suspect it, a point really well displayed by Penguin's reaction to the reveal. Falcone's whole arc and relevance was a suprise to me (great tactic to keep him entirely out of the trailers) and very reminiscent of Fisk's arc in the Daredevil show, particularly season 3.

That show is prob the best comic book adaption thats ever been done across tv and film. Its not perfect but it has some of the highest highs. There are similarities between Matt and Bruce in the respective potrayals. I guess that stems from Frank Miller setting up the current tone for both these characters back in the 80's.

Anyway thats enough of my essay but I cant help myself when it comes to Batman.
I remember reading an interview with Pattinson where he was saying just how hard it is to emote and act when half your face is covered and he ultimately had to overact just so you could see it.

Reeves would ask him to give a bit more and Pattinson was gobsmacked as he was effectively squeezing a vein out of his head by acting so hard but then he would come over to the monitor and notice that you couldn’t even see his eyes.

He did a tremendous job.

Now THAT is a graphic novel movie.

Magnificent. Probably up there with my favourite DC/Marvel films....and probably films in general. They really did Batman/BW justice.

Comment totally separate from the film
......and never thought I would say this. Kind of over the whole cinema experience. Been in Gold Class the last few times for the big releases, and experience especially today really put a dampener on enjoying the movie. You pay enough to not put up with loud patrons and get half decent service and grub. Village have really dropped the ball.

Prior to this was really hoping for this to be connected to DCEU or Pheonix's Joker, but would be totally incompatible. This really felt like a genuine graphic novel film. Score, acting, story was all brilliant.

Agree with phantom13 earlier. Ending could have been a lot more punchy. But it doesn't detract from the film at all.

Looking to a few more installments of this version of Batman.

Magnificent. Probably up there with my favourite DC/Marvel films....and probably films in general. They really did Batman/BW justice.

......and never thought I would say this. Kind of over the whole cinema experience. Been in Gold Class the last few times for the big releases, and experience especially today really put a dampener on enjoying the movie. You pay enough to not put up with loud patrons and get half decent service and grub. Village have really dropped the ball.

Prior to this was really hoping for this to be connected to DCEU or Pheonix's Joker, but would be totally incompatible. This really felt like a genuine graphic novel film. Score, acting, story was all brilliant.

Agree with phantom13 earlier. Ending could have been a lot more punchy. But it doesn't detract from the film at all.

I also did gold class and thankfully had a midday Friday session with next to no one in it but I have bemoaned the lack of etiquette and people destroying to cinema experience for YEARS. Would gladly pay top dollar to watch it from home now

Now THAT is a graphic novel movie.

There was a family in my session with a baby and a toddler that were noisy for the first 2 hours of the film. People kept sushing them and telling them to take the baby out. They didnt care. The other kid was actually watching youtube on the phone. When the batmobile scene finished the baby was crying its lungs out. It must have been s**t scared and the psycho parents didnt care.

I also did gold class and thankfully had a midday Friday session with next to no one in it but I have bemoaned the lack of etiquette and people destroying to cinema experience for YEARS. Would gladly pay top dollar to watch it from home now

There was a family in my session with a baby and a toddler that were noisy for the first 2 hours of the film. People kept sushing them and telling them to take the baby out. They didnt care. The other kid was actually watching youtube on the phone. When the batmobile scene finished the baby was crying its lungs out. It must have been sh*t scared and the psycho parents didnt care.

Sorry to hear you had to deal with that.

I know this sounds like being a Karen/old man yells out cloud, but back in the 90's, cinemas were strict on age limits. Crazy a bunch of kids are in a M rated film.

Not hard for patrons to whisper in their partner or friends ear. Not hard for people to be off their phones (had one in our session too, FFS why pay all that money and not watch the effing film?!).

Not hard for the staff either to clean the seats either which had already had copious amounts of popcorn down the side and crusted on gunk on the chairs.

Would easily pay for $50+ to watch digital at home. Home theatre is come so far in 20 years that's there's a negligible difference in experience IMO.

Anyhoo, still a great film lol. Will wait till it comes out digitally before watching again.

There was a family in my session with a baby and a toddler that were noisy for the first 2 hours of the film. People kept sushing them and telling them to take the baby out. They didnt care. The other kid was actually watching youtube on the phone. When the batmobile scene finished the baby was crying its lungs out. It must have been sh*t scared and the psycho parents didnt care.
Few years back a couple brought a 12-18 month old to a session of Logan in good class at 9.30pm.

I wrote to village and got a response that basically said we can’t discriminate against people with children, yeh just * everyone else who paid to watch the movie right?

Few years back a couple brought a 12-18 month old to a session of Logan in good class at 9.30pm.

I wrote to village and got a response that basically said we can’t discriminate against people with children, yeh just fu** everyone else who paid to watch the movie right?
It's so wild to me that couples have a conversation at home that ends at: "Yeah we should bring our infant to a loud, late movie. That's a great idea"

Sorry to hear you had to deal with that.

I know this sounds like being a Karen/old man yells out cloud, but back in the 90's, cinemas were strict on age limits. Crazy a bunch of kids are in a M rated film.

Not hard for patrons to whisper in their partner or friends ear. Not hard for people to be off their phones (had one in our session too, FFS why pay all that money and not watch the effing film?!).

Not hard for the staff either to clean the seats either which had already had copious amounts of popcorn down the side and crusted on gunk on the chairs.

Would easily pay for $50+ to watch digital at home. Home theatre is come so far in 20 years that's there's a negligible difference in experience IMO.

Anyhoo, still a great film lol. Will wait till it comes out digitally before watching again.

I mainly just felt bad for the kid. I wasnt ideal in terms of distraction but i was still able to follow the movie.

I wrote to village and got a response that basically said we can’t discriminate against people with children, yeh just fu** everyone else who paid to watch the movie right?

I get where they are coming from legally coz its rated PG yeah. There prob needs to be a category where you cant allow kids under 10 or something to a movie like that.

Edit: Logan def wasnt PG how are they even allowed in?

Anyway to get back to the film itself.
I liked Bruce arc in the film of just being a straight up vigilante and having the nickname Vengeance only for that to come back around and him coming to the realisation that he needs to be better on his own without someone telling him and can get on the path of becoming a hero.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back