Autopsy 2022 Rd 6 - Never in it. Blues disappoint in the West.

Who played well for the Blues in Round 6 vs the Dockers?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

our percentage is less than half the teams outside the 8 … our two losses haven’t been close we’ve been convincingly thumped in both … Voss has lots of work to do … and ffs bring in stocker we need hardness … not drifters …

A few points.

There is a footballer in Lewis Young. Not as a kpd which is what he is being forced to do. Could make it as an intercepting defender or 3rd forward though.

Hate losing but this one might be a blessing in disguise. We have the star power but have been dragged down when under pressure by our bottom 6. Tonight pretty much forces Voss to play Carroll, Stocker. Dow and maybe Philp in a game that we should win. And then play them the following week etc.

Had high hopes for the owies and durdin pairing but we're not getting enough from them. Time to give motlop a run.

Parks is young and might get better but he's currently a liability. Plowman is clearly a better option as third tall till Mitch gets back. Voss clearly wants an interceptor but Parks is not that yet.

If Harry is out we nearly have to play Mirkov even if it's to sit in the square and ruck for 30%. Throwing him to the wolves but it might be the making of him.

It's not all doom and gloom. We've got the stars, Kennedy, silvagni, McGovern and hopefully omac to come back and some good kids wanting to make their mark. There will be plenty of wins to come this year.

I love how people say the mids were great and defence was horrid....where are the mids on transition?? Our small forwards created zero pressure coming out so then it is on the mids to counter that. The poor defence was just collateral for repeated entries. We are one s**t ponies at the moment..win the clearance and hope Charlie or Harry mark or our smalls crumb..... we've been worked out. The last few games we've struggled to get it on those terms

The sample size is big enough now to be a trend. It’s clear as day that we lack outside run. I could take pot shots at certain players who just aren’t up to it but that’s the reality.. there’s a handful of players who try hard but don’t have the skills, decision making, or leg speed to be effective at AFL level. We badly need to address this over the next couple of off-seasons.

It’s not all doom and gloom though because we clearly have a lot of pieces which other clubs would be envious off. We have a very solid midfield. We have power forwards. We have an All-Australian caliber key defender. We need to build around these guys with the correct pieces.

This season is all about learning the new game plan and seeing which players have the ability to carry it out successfully. What has been evident though is we allow the opposition to hit up the short kick far too often (even when they haven’t moved the ball quickly). This is an absolute pet peeve because it just allows the opposition the chance to drain any momentum we may generate but also allows them to chip it down the field until they can launch an inside 50. Inside 50’s should be earned but we give them up far too easily. Not a sustainable brand of footy. I’m not sure if this occurs because we are so worried about our defence that we try to get numbers back, if we lack genuine footy IQ and instincts, or whether it’s a lack of leg speed on the outside.

Anyways, Fremantle far too good tonight and further highlighted the weaknesses on our list. Good luck to them, they’re building nicely and outplayed us immensely. They have the outside run but no gun key forwards. We have the key forwards but no outside run. Both flawed teams until that can be addressed.

Big ups to our skipper though. Lionhearted effort. Hewett also cracked in all game. Saad tried to bring some dash at times. Those were our best three for mine.

Do we have the worst wingmen in the AFL? I think they had three positions between them in that last quarter.
The wrse thing is Blake Acres rotated from one wing to the other to gather possesions against Newnes and Setterfield. I am sure they are part of Voss onfield visual play design team. They watch the opposition onfield taking notes for future games seriously, come and sit on my couch fellas

The reality check that we so needed. Durdin, yes I love the kid but that performance must be actioned upon. Cotterill, Newnes, Fisher, Setters, Boyd, Parks are all weak links in the chain.
Durdin for Motlop
Cotterill for LOB
Newnes for Carroll
Fisher for Philp
Setters for Willo
Boyd for Stocker
Parks for Kemp

I’ll say it again - Cottrell and Newnes are our weakest links through the flanks. If they survive next week. Then we aren’t serious. McKay, Durdin, Owies and Parks had shockers. Fisher quite - but did not get any run through the midfield today, why?

Young is showing a bit. Pittonet, JSoS and Kennedy bigger losses then we thought. Crippa, Walsh, Docherty, Saad, Hewett and Cerra busted a gut. DeKoning better agains bigger ruckman. Thank goodness for Charlie.

Let’s see how Voss reacts this week. I believe Kemp, Williamson and Stocker the best in the VFL. Hopefully Kennedy and JSoS back next week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The sample size is big enough now to be a trend. It’s clear as day that we lack outside run. I could take pot shots at certain players who just aren’t up to it but that’s the reality.. there’s a handful of players who try hard but don’t have the skills, decision making, or leg speed to be effective at AFL level. We badly need to address this over the next couple of off-seasons.

It’s not all doom and gloom though because we clearly have a lot of pieces which other clubs would be envious off. We have a very solid midfield. We have power forwards. We have an All-Australian caliber key defender. We need to build around these guys with the correct pieces.

This season is all about learning the new game plan and seeing which players have the ability to carry it out successfully. What has been evident though is we allow the opposition to hit up the short kick far too often (even when they haven’t moved the ball quickly). This is an absolute pet peeve because it just allows the opposition the chance to drain any momentum we may generate but also allows them to chip it down the field until they can launch an inside 50. Inside 50’s should be earned but we give them up far too easily. Not a sustainable brand of footy. I’m not sure if this occurs because we are so worried about our defence that we try to get numbers back, if we lack genuine footy IQ and instincts, or whether it’s a lack of leg speed on the outside.

Anyways, Fremantle far too good tonight and further highlighted the weaknesses on our list. Good luck to them, they’re building nicely and outplayed us immensely. They have the outside run but no gun key forwards. We have the key forwards but no outside run. Both flawed teams until that can be addressed.

Big ups to our skipper though. Lionhearted effort. Hewett also cracked in all game. Saad tried to bring some dash at times. Those were our best three for mine.
Saad dash, meters gained under 380 doesnt do enough with the ball and gets hit as he isnt a defenders bootlace. Better if he got moved to the wing and can impact more in games

We need a ruckman. No ruckman, No Carlton. We were cooked as soon as he went off. Conversely we surged when Darcy went down.

Fisher, Newnes, and Setterfield out. Bring in anyone I'm not fussed

Not a surprising loss. Made less surprising when Pitto went down.

A game that showed that you can win a huge amount of the ball, have a midfield racking up the possessions, but if you’re skills are not up to it then all you’re doing is handing it back to the opposition.

Also, this game more than any this year has shown up who the passengers are.

Fisher, Setterfield, Newnes are three players who should be playing VFL.

Durdin has lost his early season form and Owies can’t play more than a quarter or quarter and a half. As such we have zero pressure up forward.

Parkes seems genuinely lost. Cotters is a workmanlike football who might be OK in a decent side but is simply not good enough in ours. And Boyd… well I think he has some ability but he needs to iron out his deficiencies in the VFL.

Problem is that we can’t replace them all.

While Norf seem to love playing us, next week is an opportunity to blood Motts and Carroll, to bring back Stock and play either LoB or Dow or both. I typically don’t make these sort of sweeping changes but we can’t keep giving game to players who are half hearted.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
At teh end of the day, make the changes and get rid of these guys now, put 15 games into young guys, instead of wasting it on newnes and setterfiled.

Cripps, Doc, Walsh, Hewett, Cerra, Weitering and Saad: Amazing games. Let down badly by about 1/2 a dozen teammates who just didn't show up.

TDK: Really impressive game, battled very well on his own. Took a big step forward I think.

Young: Fought back well, but appears far too weak to ever really make it as a KPP.

Williams: Just a terribly overrated/overpaid footballer. Disposal is extremely shonky.

Newnes: If he's on the field we have too many injuries. Wasn't our worst though, and is a good kick heading into 50.

Charlie: Kicked a couple but didn't seem 'on'. Kept battling though.

Newman: Average game.

Owies: Just doesn't do enough, and probably never will.

Pittonett: After copping bizarre blocking frees all season, gets his knee wrecked by a guy who didn't even look at the ball during the ruck contest. He would be filthy.

Setterfield: Putrid as usual. Slowest in the AFL to get ball to boot. Look forward to watching him jog around next week though as he seems to be untouchable.

Boyd: There's something to work with there, but he ain't a defender.

Fisher: Arguably the worst game of his career. If he didn't get caught holding the ball twice I wouldn't have even known he was playing.

Durdin, Parks, Cottrell, Owies, Harry: Absolute non-contributors.

Thought we put in but you could feel we were up against it from the beginning. Their pressure was very good. Nothing new to anyone but our heavy reliance on scoring from centre clearances isn’t sustainable. Our transition game just isn’t there. Not like the GC game where we were bog ordinary. Just think they were too good.
Love the year Saad is having just quietly. Think he has been consistently good
Saad gives up 3 to 4 goals each week along with Williams. Alot of coaches caught on to him when at essendon. Now they will target through him and Williams as they are not natural defenders and get plenty kicked on them. They are not damaging and i would rather see these two moved to the wing, as the midfield runs one way. There defensive pressure should be ok to force the issue there. I would strengthen our backline up bring in stocker, maybe look at trying someone in back

Harry seems to really struggle when playing under duress. Think he is someone who can’t fight through.
Harsh! The boy was clearly hurt, and continued to hit contest after contest.

With all due respect, not sure what game you were watching. He fought through extremely well I thought.

Very concerned about a team which is far too reliant on purple patches of centre clearance dominance leading to our key forwards exposing opposition on the 666 rule.

This is our one-wood but it's unreliable and when it's not working we look bog ordinary in most other facets of the game. That's the honest truth right now.

Not going to be bothering too many teams if we keep the likes of Newnes, Fisher, Cotters & Setterfield in the team. Not getting much from them at all.
Williams isn't worth anywhere near the salary we pay him. Doesn't hurt the opposition much & turns it over often.
Thought Cripps, Doc, Hewett, Cerra & Walsh were good, but far too much left for them to do.
Well done to Freo, outworked us and got the rewards for it.

Back