Strategy Draft assistance 2023 [Twomey: NMFC get #19 in 2023, x2 end of 1st rd picks in 2024, and x2 extra rookie list spots in 2024; no Sanders/#11]

Remove this Banner Ad

This is what amazes me. Almost every club has received draft assistance. Some have been given unbelievable advantages. Some deliberately threw games to get them.
And yet bone headed analysts are worried about the impact of North getting some for first time.
And as for the other clubs rioting if we do, how about looking at your own history you hypocritical cockroaches.

As with most prejudices it is seated in fear.

Historically we out perform with nothing.

If we get given something, I have little doubt when our ship is righted the teams that are ‘supposed’ to win will commence losing again. And they can’t have that.

Maybe one or two before the MSD and then the other one or two before the ND. Plus associated list spots, even of its only for two or three years.

Honestly a bit of soft cap relief would help too. If we could put Lynch under the soft cap, open the list spot and have it available for the MSD

MSD is 4/5ths of f*** all.

If we were getting draft concessions at all, the they need to be in the first 25 picks of the National Draft.

The % of MSD players that make it if almost nothing.

The % of first round picks that make it is exponentially better.

What I would hope we ask for:
Start first round 22 priority.
Mid first round 23.
Expanded Rookie list

Not as worried about the soft cap unless we need to exit a bunch of people again. I reckon that rights itself in time.

MSD is 4/5ths of f*** all.

If we were getting draft concessions at all, the they need to be in the first 25 picks of the National Draft.

The % of MSD players that make it if almost nothing.

The % of first round picks that make it is exponentially better.

What I would hope we ask for:
Start first round 22 priority.
Mid first round 23.
Expanded Rookie list

Not as worried about the soft cap unless we need to exit a bunch of people again. I reckon that rights itself in time.

I read that first up as “needs to be the first 25 picks of the National Draft”…..Woo hoo, now we’re talking….

If Melbourne can get Pick 3 for Frawley as a FA when they were down. And Dogs get JUH at pick 2 which they can not do now. GC get pick1. Pick 7 FA for Daniher when was injured for 2 years. It’s a compromised system Surly North can get a PP
Every single facet of the AFL is compromised.

It is 100% by design so they can control the outcomes of almost any situation.

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Every single facet of the AFL is compromised.

It is 100% by design so they can control the outcomes of almost any situation.

Its all about tha..

Make It Rain Money GIF

As with most prejudices it is seated in fear.

Historically we out perform with nothing.

If we get given something, I have little doubt when our ship is righted the teams that are ‘supposed’ to win will commence losing again. And they can’t have that.
While it's a nice thought, I think it's more because we all know that multiple sides in the 2000s absolutely took the piss with tanking. So priority picks will always have that association in people's minds.

I’ve kinda thought it’d be preferable to have a mechanism of getting some good mid aged players in as we wouldn’t be needing to wait for 5 yrs for draftees to be up to speed but regardless we are probably 10 yrs behind the comp so we may as well get the pretty little picks

More likely the outcome.

Then the AFL will schedule mostly twilight Sunday games, take Good Friday from us and schedule the most interstate games of any team.

Well they are already giving us the fixture of an interstate club.

Have a look at our travel schedule up to Round 15 and compare that to other Victorian clubs. Even taking out Tassie we are getting fisted.

By the time we hit Round 12 we would have travelled to Brisbane, Sydney, Hobart, Perth and Darwin. Out of that 12 week period we will have spent 6 weeks on the road, with 2 back to back interstate trips slotted in.

It’s a horrible fixture if you are trying to generate any supporter interest in your club. When we start playing more in Melbourne in the back half of the year, people will have switched off and won’t be bothered turning up.

Hawthorn who also have a Tassie deal
Will have travelled 4 times. Launceston x 2, Adelaide and Darwin.

I don’t think a team full of players who don’t show enough effort, that also trades away their picks for very average players, deserves any such concessions.

This whole concept of asking for assistance is ridiculous, if that’s what actually even happens.

The AFL uses levers to maintain the quality of games and for a team that is as horrendous as us it makes business sense to get us back to competitiveness.

Surely they are looking at this all the this and apply where it makes sense to them.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Realistically I think what would be better for us would be to be able to pre list 2 or 3 mature players before the draft. They can be on traded for picks or retained. It keeps the draft relatively uncompromised (at least the 1st round anyway) which as a purist I think should be non negotiable for the competition as a whole.

With teams able to supplement their list right up until the start of the season and with the MSD, there really isn’t much out there with much currency these days.

With teams able to supplement their list right up until the start of the season and with the MSD, there really isn’t much out there with much currency these days.

Leek Aleer went top 20. I've always thought the ideas of PP were s**t and am opposed to the principle across the board. Now we are in the position I guess it would be remiss of us not to ask strongly, but the flow on effects is that this cycle will continually perpetuate where we will no doubt get bundled down the draft order to accommodate some other s**t club down the track.

Thing is we (and others) were screwed over with all the picks to GWS and GC.

It's why a team like the Hawks won flags as they already had their team set up via high draft picks prior to it.

The AFL (as in the corporation not Aussie Rules) is a complete disgrace.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is what amazes me. Almost every club has received draft assistance. Some have been given unbelievable advantages. Some deliberately threw games to get them.
And yet bone headed analysts are worried about the impact of North getting some for first time.
And as for the other clubs rioting if we do, how about looking at your own history you hypocritical cockroaches.

That’s the part that ******* drives me bonkers. We get criticised for finally pulling the trigger on a proper rebuild, but we were never congratulated when we tried to stay competitive and not bottom out for the last 20 years.

We aren’t intentionally losing games to get draft assistance…the same can’t be said for the likes of Carlton, Melbourne, Richmond, West Coast, Hawthorn or the Gold Coast.

That’s the part that ******* drives me bonkers. We get criticised for finally pulling the trigger on a proper rebuild, but we were never congratulated when we tried to stay competitive and not bottom out for the last 20 years.

We aren’t intentionally losing games to get draft assistance…the same can’t be said for the likes of Carlton, Melbourne, Richmond, West Coast, Hawthorn or the Gold Coast.

It's racism pure and simple.

So read an online article that stated the AFL is concerned with how long it takes rebuilding clubs to become competitive. Not sure where I read it but interesting none the less.

Think we’ll definitely get one just a matter of when. End of first round at a minimum. Not writing off it being earlier.

It should be after our first pick, we will see I suppose .
Also not against a very early pick requiring trading . If it’s to stockpile young talent it will take two years to bare fruit . I stand by both GWS and GC should have been made to trade some of their gifted first Rd picks for quality footballers.

So read an online article that stated the AFL is concerned with how long it takes rebuilding clubs to become competitive. Not sure where I read it but interesting none the less.

Think we’ll definitely get one just a matter of when. End of first round at a minimum. Not writing off it being earlier.

Also not against a very early pick requiring trading . If it’s to stockpile young talent it will take two years to bare fruit . I stand by both GWS and GC should have been made to trade some of their gifted first Rd picks for quality footballers.
IMO we should be pointing to what GC got as a precedent.

While their package was pretty extensive ( and as of right now has not borne fruit) some form of whittled down package is what I would be aiming for.

They got, start of first, mid first, end of first, expanded rookie list, expanded rules around NGA, they had to give back the end of first I am not 100% on why.

I would be asking for start of first, expanded rookie list, the ability to take Cooper Harvey without bidding which would be equal to something in the second round.

It would mean we get picks in the top 5, a second round pick (which we currently don't have) and the ability to fill out some depth later in the draft/rookie draft.

This is actually significantly less than other teams have received.

IMO we should be pointing to what GC got as a precedent.

While their package was pretty extensive ( and as of right now has not borne fruit) some form of whittled down package is what I would be aiming for.

They got, start of first, mid first, end of first, expanded rookie list, expanded rules around NGA, they had to give back the end of first I am not 100% on why.

I would be asking for start of first, expanded rookie list, the ability to take Cooper Harvey without bidding which would be equal to something in the second round.

It would mean we get picks in the top 5, a second round pick (which we currently don't have) and the ability to fill out some depth later in the draft/rookie draft.

This is actually significantly less than other teams have received.
I’m all up for that , cripes that may just about kill the likes of Barrett.

That is the type of assistance that could work wonders . I doubt the AFL would have the guts to do it .

That is the type of assistance that could work wonders . I doubt the AFL would have the guts to do it .

The reality is that deal works out:

a proper PP - start of first round
taking a kid we would take anyway
chump change late round picks we retain
some additional rookies.

Other clubs will complain about the start of first round pick, but honestly unless we go on some almighty run towards the end of the year we are completely in the frame for one.

You say that like it's a bad thing?

I've got no doubt we are going to get at least one first round pick this year - the AFL media kicked off the debate a while back and are conditioning the football public to accept the inevitable. Ideally we get one after our first pick and another at the end of round 1.

The media never mentions how badly the introduction of the franchises and their draft concessions impacted us as mid table battlers. It's time we got a little back from AFL House.

Agreed there
You say that like it's a bad thing?

I've got no doubt we are going to get at least one first round pick this year - the AFL media kicked off the debate a while back and are conditioning the football public to accept the inevitable. Ideally we get one after our first pick and another at the end of round 1.

The media never mentions how badly the introduction of the franchises and their draft concessions impacted us as mid table battlers. It's time we got a little back from AFL House.
They owe us for paying marvel off, has that deal been renegotiated yet?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back