Past #6: Jason Horne-Francis - NM have been informed by JHF's management that he will seek a trade to SA [contracted for 2023]

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
And right on time this thread took an even sadder turn once the alcohol kicked in.
Who knows where the real truth sits in all of this. I can think of a number of reasons though why he might change his mind from signing early and instead wait until the end of the year.

For starters at the beginning of the season, his ability to secure the best possible deal, was nowhere near what it is beginning to look like now. He has quickly established himself as close to our best player, of those who are available for selection. Cunners remains our best player, but who knows what the future holds for him.

Signing early might have secured him x years by y dollars, whereas now he might be starting to see x years by a times y dollars, where a is a real step up as a multiple of y. He would be crazy to commit too early when the deal he might achieve by the end of the year could be significantly better and carry some fringe benefits as well.

It is also fair to say that Player Managers work the system to extract the best possible deal for their players, which means much more money for the Player Manager. While I think that by and large Player Managers are a bunch of scumbags, their job is to extract the maximum possible benefits for their players and given our struggles this year, its pounds to peanuts that his Manager will be working the "whats the future of the club look like" to try to maximise the deal.

On the other hand JHF may be genuinely unhappy, maybe homesick and really wants to go home. Waiting until the end of the season before making any decision on his future, makes good sense. Waiting gives him time to work through any such feelings and maybe start to see things in a different light.

The bottom line is that he is our player until the end of season 2023, by which time a lot of things may be very different. We may (or may not) have turned the corner and no longer be a bottom 2 side, but rather starting to build into the mid/lower rungs of the ladder, winning a few more games and looking to be more competitive, with a number of the boys recruited over the last 2 to 4 seasons, having played around a further 30+ games and starting to justify their recruiting in the first place.

We are not the first team to be in this position. Who recalls how terrible Sydney was many years ago (1990s) when they had to get Barassi on board to start to stablilise the club, or the GoDees, when Paul Roos was appointed to do a similar job?

If ultimately he does decide to depart at the end of 2023, then we should be in a reasonable position to extract a nice deal to release him. I have no idea what that might be, but if the Draft system is to hold up, it is surely paramount that we get properly compensated for a player who was a Number 1 Pick and in the top echelon of players in the competition within a short space of 2 years,
Calculate Rooster Teeth GIF by Achievement Hunter

Manager “you are hot property right now. You can see another round of culls coming. Frees Salary Cap. We ask for big dollars because you are the best player here, and end of year we know what we can ask for “
That’s exactly what it is. 😂 no sane businesses manager would advise their client to sign a deal UNLESS the player felt it was a distraction snd impacting his form and gets a deal done early.

Right team BF this thread is on page 132. I think with heightened levels of paranoia we can get this sucker to page 815 before a decision is made . That decision will be he stays of course.
A few nights our with TAO should get the job done.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

So not concerned, either we keep JHF or some team pays through the nose to trade for him.

Might not rush to get the No.6 on my kids' jumpers just yet. Still explaining who wears 50 for NMFC at Auskick to other people.

You don't let talent like JHF out the door without moving and heaven and earth unless he has serious off field issues which i don't think is the case.

The kid is an absolute jet and only serious injury will stop him from reaching the heights of players like Dangerfield, Heeney and guys of this ilk.

He is a future captain and I'd be absolutely gutted if he left - hopefully it's just a tactic from his management to maximise value but i'd be hoping the senior boys and coaches are getting around him this week and for the remainder of the season.

Last edited:
I don't think this move (in and of itself) signals an intention to ultimately leave after his initial contract...although it's obviously not conflicting with that pathway. Much more likely is that his manager has determined he's more likely to maximise his earnings by holding off on signing and that's almost certainly true.

The only two other #1s to leave after (or even before) their initial contract were Tom Scully and Tom Boyd...one a godfather offer to an expansion club (unlikely under 'normal' salary club/trade rules) and the other a massive case of homesickness. They're the exceptions that prove the rule.

So I think unless your club really implodes and/or he has (or develops) a very strong dose of homesickness then I think he's unlikely to leave at the end of 2023.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He will sign on. Instead of turning on one of our most talented products in decades because of biased media reporting, trust that he will make the right decision for the benefit of our club.
I hope you are right but I don't have your optimism right now. If there was a fingers crossed emoji, I would have used that.

Long time lurker, first time poster.

Woke up to a message today from me mate and fellow kangas fan, apparently had one of JHF’s mates in at his work yesterday and was told he will be coming home asap.

Praying this is b.s but I do trust the person who told me unfortunately.

Woke up to a message today from me mate and fellow kangas fan, apparently had one of JHF’s mates in at his work yesterday and was told he will be coming home asap.

It's funny how first time posters with negative news always seem to be using a VPN.

As soon as possible ? Ah well, he was good while he lasted. But what a weak prick though hey ? Can't handle a bit of pressure or hard times. Probably crumble grand final day. Good riddance l say.

So this is what 69th hand info?

:stern look:

Dude he's going to Carlton.

I have no idea what a vpn is mate, I’m a kangas fan as well, not trying to be negative just passing on news that’s been swirling round my head all morning
Something the girls worry about I think ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back