Review Cats beat Port by 35 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

Let’s revisit on Thursday evening. Dahlhaus is the like for like player.
Dahl should never play another senior game again.... There is zero benefit from it, Narkle and Rhys I assume coming back in, Menegola, maybe Henry at some point, Miers maybe all more danger of squeezing out Frank

Dahlhaus and Higgins have been blasted after playing far better games then Evans yesterday, hope I'm wrong but he appears no more then a VFL standard player at this stage.
They've played 250+ and 200+ games respectively. Evans has played five, including some as injury sub.

He may or not end up being just a VFL standard player, but I'm prepared to give him a few more chances.

He showed good signs in his first year.

How many times has Zuthrie been written off on this board in his career? That includes earlier this season when he was dropped to the VFL.

Dahl should never play another senior game again.... There is zero benefit from it, Narkle and Rhys I assume coming back in, Menegola, maybe Henry at some point, Miers maybe all more danger of squeezing out Frank
The benefit is giving us a better chance of winning games. Sadly, Dahlhaus is currently an upgrade on Evans.

We don’t need much from that guy in the last spot in the forward line. Dahl competes fiercely at the ground ball, but I would love someone to be able to compete better in the air too. Would only have to be a real scrapper.

I wonder if Menegola plays forward when he gets back off a limited prep. He is good around goal and can mark.

Probably lacks the speed and tackling ferocity.

I’d try him anyway. He would be much better option than Evans for sure. Not sure we will see much more of Evans. May as well play Dempsey if he is not offering anything.

The benefit is giving us a better chance of winning games. Sadly, Dahlhaus is currently an upgrade on Evans.
My logic is simple, we aren't winning the flag this year, so better of seeing what we could have be it Evans/Dempsey or someone else.

Dahl is not in our future so there is no need to play him.. He has a crack but he's not going to give us so much more than a kid that it becomes worthwhile doing IMO

My logic is simple, we aren't winning the flag this year, so better of seeing what we could have be it Evans/Dempsey or someone else.

Dahl is not in our future so there is no need to play him.. He has a crack but he's not going to give us so much more than a kid that it becomes worthwhile doing IMO
I think until the club gives up we will see them pick the best side.

He is but i dont think we have to be like for like we have a number of role flexible players. I dont see dahl or evans as best 22 at this point.

We don’t need much from that guy in the last spot in the forward line. Dahl competes fiercely at the ground ball, but I would love someone to be able to compete better in the air too. Would only have to be a real scrapper.

I wonder if Menegola plays forward when he gets back off a limited prep. He is good around goal and can mark.

Probably lacks the speed and tackling ferocity.

I’d try him anyway. He would be much better option than Evans for sure. Not sure we will see much more of Evans. May as well play Dempsey if he is not offering anything.

That may well be what we see.flicking the magnets around with tuohy at HF like we did last year is an option. Playing danger forward more with an extra mid in the side (eg stephens) is another.

I think until the club gives up we will see them pick the best side.
Bingo. Far too many post comments as 'fans' which is fair enough as that's what we are.
But decisions are made by highly paid employees of the club who have a completely different mentality.

I don't see it with Evans, unfortunately.

We have Hawkins Cameron and Rohan yet we bomb it in on Stengle and evans heads, we do not have very good kicks that should be hitting these guy's on the chest, the delivery is very bad
How was that goal he kicked ( and it was an important one - midway through the 3rd qtr ) basically out of nothing - put it on the boot - with a big right to left hook from 45 metres

The big difference with him as a small forward - is he actually kicks goals - he is dangerous around the goals

Wonder if that was more about how he kicks the ball & the swing he gets on it if he was to kick a drop punt versus a torp

He may have got the distance on a drop punt but not the accuracy
50 is right on his limit with a drop punt and often loses accuracy looking for the extra distance.

Haven't seen much from Evans suggesting he is ready for AFL. Not sure about Atkins in the midfield, he was ok today but it's a different story on a big ground like the G up against the A grade midfields like Melbourne and the Dogs. I think Dangerfield needs a rest, he's spinning his wheels at the moment. He keeps getting crunched in contests and always seems under pressure even when he has time to think. He takes one step too many when he is about to be tackled, runs flat out when he'd be better slowing down and making a good decision. 10 quality possessions is better than 25 out of control possessions.
Both Evans and Atkins put their head over the ball every time. I like Atkins in the midfield rotations. Evans is a smart footballer and I think will improve with every game they give him. He will have a break out game if they persevere with him. Needs confidence in himself and back himself in sometimes

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just tuned in. It was a lack-lustre game. Port were surprisingly feeble.

We seemed to do well enough round the ball despite our obvious mid-field limitations - doesn't say much for Port.

Cam Guthrie is looking the AA player he briefly was. Cooper S showed enough to stay in. Close much better than in the last fortnight. Parfitt good in the crunches but has very limited skills. SDEK excellent.

Not sure who replaces Danger - Knevitt got a knock. I'd go Knarkle if he's fit or Dempsey.

You love talking up opposition teams - youve gone through the lot of them - Ess - the next big thing - Nth Melb have got a great young list- blah blah

The bottom line is - youve got ONE OUTSTANDING TEAM - Melb - and then you have 17 other teams

The Cats might be average- but dont kid yourself mate - so are those other 17 clubs - which you love talking up perrenially
To back you up on this - Brisbane widely considered the 2nd best in it are currently down at 1/2 time to Hawthorn.

Miers is hopelessly out of form. Leave hi m the two’s I reckon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

They've played 250+ and 200+ games respectively. Evans has played five, including some as injury sub.

He may or not end up being just a VFL standard player, but I'm prepared to give him a few more chances.

He showed good signs in his first year.

How many times has Zuthrie been written off on this board in his career? That includes earlier this season when he was dropped to the VFL.

I can only think of one game Evans has played as the injury sub - round 1 this year and he came on at quarter time as Cameron was preparing to go to hospital. He looked promising in his debut game last season, but not sure he's looked like having that same impact when he's played this year

There were times yesterday where Evans looked hesitant & uncertain - it was something we've seen in the past from other guys on the fringes, where they play like they believe they're on the fringes and they approach the game to not make mistakes with the hope that will help keep their spot, rather than attack the game & if a mistake happens it happens but you move on to the next contest

Second quarter was a good example - Evans had come on off the bench & was perfectly positioned to attack a loose ball on the wing. Instead he saw Guthrie in the vicinity so he stopped, was flat footed when he took a handball receive from Guthrie and in what looked like panic he put ball to boot and kicked out on the full. What would have been good to see is Evans calling Guthrie out of the contest, attacking the ball with forward momentum & drive the play forward - even if it didn't work out it would have been a more positive passage

Watching Stephens yesterday he played like someone who wanted the ball & wanted to be involved - not everything worked out, but he kept his head up and was ready for the next contest. Thought that was a really good sign from a youngster in just his second game

As for Zuth, the biggest criticism over his early seasons on the list was his size and that he just looked like an Auskick kid - last season was the first time he really started to look like a senior AFL footballer rather than a kid who hadn't left the field after halftime. Even in his early seasons you could see with Zuth that he understood the game, he read the ball well, knew where he needed to be and what he needed to do - but he didn't have the size to do it

I can only think of one game Evans has played as the injury sub - round 1 this year and he came on at quarter time as Cameron was preparing to go to hospital. He looked promising in his debut game last season, but not sure he's looked like having that same impact when he's played this year

There were times yesterday where Evans looked hesitant & uncertain - it was something we've seen in the past from other guys on the fringes, where they play like they believe they're on the fringes and they approach the game to not make mistakes with the hope that will help keep their spot, rather than attack the game & if a mistake happens it happens but you move on to the next contest

Second quarter was a good example - Evans had come on off the bench & was perfectly positioned to attack a loose ball on the wing. Instead he saw Guthrie in the vicinity so he stopped, was flat footed when he took a handball receive from Guthrie and in what looked like panic he put ball to boot and kicked out on the full. What would have been good to see is Evans calling Guthrie out of the contest, attacking the ball with forward momentum & drive the play forward - even if it didn't work out it would have been a more positive passage

Watching Stephens yesterday he played like someone who wanted the ball & wanted to be involved - not everything worked out, but he kept his head up and was ready for the next contest. Thought that was a really good sign from a youngster in just his second game

As for Zuth, the biggest criticism over his early seasons on the list was his size and that he just looked like an Auskick kid - last season was the first time he really started to look like a senior AFL footballer rather than a kid who hadn't left the field after halftime. Even in his early seasons you could see with Zuth that he understood the game, he read the ball well, knew where he needed to be and what he needed to do - but he didn't have the size to do it
I have been on about this player before, but James Parsons in his first game with us, kicked goals, had 20 possessions, looked involved, and got suspended for hitting Hodgey. Very auspicious debut. Sadly, it did not work for him at Geelong, but first games are not the be all-end all.
But then he returned and appeared to play more cautiously, like a new driver getting caught speeding day 1 and having to compensate.

Won’t judge Frank yet, needs more time. One thing I’m content to judge now though is Stephen’s kick, no penetration what so ever, he’ll have to be very good at everything else to overcome that kick, it’s a liability.

Won’t judge Frank yet, needs more time. One thing I’m content to judge now though is Stephen’s kick, no penetration what so ever, he’ll have to be very good at everything else to overcome that kick, it’s a liability.
Ever played cricket, or golf, or footy for that matter? You can be just a little bit off in timing and you connect like s**t. When you are confident and swinging free anything can happen. Give him time.

You're right, it was just one game out of five that Evans was injury sub. I was thinking it was two.

As I've said, I thought he was ordinary for three quarters but was good in the last, attacking the ball and the contest well.

I'm not sure if your memory is accurate on Zuthrie. He was criticised for plenty other than just his size. He had some shockers in his second and third years, with dropped marks and missed targets, and had at least one game where he didn't get a possession for a half. At one point I think in his second year he'd completely lost confidence.

He was promising in his first year but only really reached the same form late last year. Even this year his form has fluctuated, but he's looking good now.

I agree on Stephens, though. He's looking very promising.

It's quite possible Evans won't make it, but as I've said I would persevere with him for a few games to give him a chance.

You're right, it was just one game out of five that Evans was injury sub. I was thinking it was two.

As I've said, I thought he was ordinary for three quarters but was good in the last, attacking the ball and the contest well.

I'm not sure if your memory is accurate on Zuthrie. He was criticised for plenty other than just his size. He had some shockers in his second and third years, with dropped marks and missed targets, and had at least one game where he didn't get a possession for a half. At one point I think in his second year he'd completely lost confidence.

He was promising in his first year but only really reached the same form late last year. Even this year his form has fluctuated, but he's looking good now.

I agree on Stephens, though. He's looking very promising.

It's quite possible Evans won't make it, but as I've said I would persevere with him for a few games to give him a chance.
Zac Guthrie promising in his first year? You are kidding.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back