Autopsy Cats lose to Dogs by 25 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

Only for the first two games.

Still do regret that. He could play. Just underlines how poorly players and situations were managed then. They could and should have made it work.
Yeah..your memory is better than mine. I was tempted to put a ‘rolling eyes’ emoji after Jacko’s name. But you are right, he could play when the fire was in the belly and not in the frontal cortex!

Jacko kicked 6 of Geelong's 11 goals against the 'Roys in Rd 1 1986, and kicked a goal to put Geelong ahead against Essington at Windy Hill, i think something like 7.5.47 to 5.16.46 early in the 3rd quarter. Then, as happened a couple of times in '86, the Bombers then exploded and won 21.22.148 to 7.9.51

Jacko kicked 2 goals, but Devine pretty much sacked him after that match. Just must not have got along with him. It was his last game in the VFL.

Jacko kicked 6 of Geelong's 11 goals against the 'Roys in Rd 1 1986, and kicked a goal to put Geelong ahead against Essington at Windy Hill, i think something like 7.5.47 to 5.16.46 early in the 3rd quarter. Then, as happened a couple of times in '86, the Bombers then exploded and won 21.22.148 to 7.9.51

Jacko kicked 2 goals, but Devine pretty much sacked him after that match. Just must not have got along with him. It was his last game in the VFL.

From memory, Devine wanted to play Brownless at full forward to see how he fared (he'd debuted in Round 1). Because teams just didn't have flexibility then with multiple key forwards playing the same position (think of Richmond with Roach and Taylor), he wanted to drop Jackson just for a week. I think Jacko got his nose out of joint - not entirely unreasonably considering he'd kicked 6 in round 1 - and that was it.

From memory, Devine wanted to play Brownless at full forward to see how he fared (he'd debuted in Round 1). Because teams just didn't have flexibility then with multiple key forwards playing the same position (think of Richmond with Roach and Taylor), he wanted to drop Jackson just for a week. I think Jacko got his nose out of joint - not entirely unreasonably considering he'd kicked 6 in round 1 - and that was it.
Always wondered what happened there. I lived in Sydney then, pre internet of course, and the only vfl info was a little addendum at the end of the news on the weekend ( if you were lucky) Oh, and a a snowy picture on SBS for live games if you had reception..my memory is a bit hazy.
Sydney was like another planet. Thugby was king, as it still is.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back