Autopsy Cats lose to Dogs by 25 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

Stengle probably celebrated as hard as anyone after last year, but also that fractured arm didn’t help
Also don't discount the effect of the arrival of Henry.

When the goal wasn't kicked by one of the Big Two up forward last year, Stengle was first in queue. Now, arguably, he's second.

Also don't discount the effect of the arrival of Henry.

When the goal wasn't kicked by one of the Big Two up forward last year, Stengle was first in queue. Now, arguably, he's second.
Yep, and our ball movement/quality of supply suffered this season as well.

Now you can go the Bunnings route and imply he's a down hill skier. Or you can accept that a down year for a small forward who fractured his wrist of going at 2 combined goals/assists a game in a struggling team is still pretty good. Most teams would still kill to have a small forward or two (let alone three like we do) going at that rate. The pressure side of our forward line needs serious attention, but the scoring impact is not even close to top of the list of our issues to resolve.

Has a cat ...meow ..

Cat Reaction GIF by MOODMAN
kitten meow GIF
I was more concerned about what was behind the cat

Didn’t watch the game, but sounds like the perfect match. Played all the kids, were reasonably competitive in part, but got the L and a possibly a move up the draft order, whilst sending off the vets. 👏

Forward pressure early on was very good .
Bevo clearly gave the dogs a bake at HT .
While the kittens had a snooze .
Right call on mengoala.
Smith prob got another year in him ...probs.

Interesting going forward with older guys next year .

Hoping younger guys can step it up a notch .

Homles.
Mitchy knevitt.
Olle D.
Big red.
Mullin.
Tanner.
Clark.

He was but winning the ball is underrated on this board.

Fair to say that both Gola and Smith were targeted by our own players when we had ball on hand and you need to take their numbers with a pinch of salt. I can see why Gola didnt get back in this year, he's lost too much pace. Had a great time at the cats and played some elite ball though, shame he didnt get a premiership.

I thought our first half was our best of the season, mullin has come a long way since the start btw- hes an excellent kick and insanely strong. The rest of the kids all showed a fair bit too. Enjoyed the game! Looking forward to 2024 and best 22 dempsey winning the rising star ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fair to say that both Gola and Smith were targeted by our own players when we had ball on hand and you need to take their numbers with a pinch of salt. I can see why Gola didnt get back in this year, he's lost too much pace. Had a great time at the cats and played some elite ball though, shame he didnt get a premiership.

I thought our first half was our best of the season, mullin has come a long way since the start btw- hes an excellent kick and insanely strong. The rest of the kids all showed a fair bit too. Enjoyed the game! Looking forward to 2024 and best 22 dempsey winning the rising star ;)
Smith was good but he was getting into receive positions that actually disadvantaged our attacks and was bombing for goal or territory without thought all night. It certainly wasn't the equivalent even of Duncan getting it 25 times.

SDK was horrendous and probably handed them 5 goals.
His year has been beyond awful. He’s not AFL standard at the moment. Huge premiership hangover from him in particular.
He needs an enormous preseason and a to not sleep in and miss training sessions like he did in this years preseason.

Even that 1st goal of Footscrays ( not that i could careless about the result ) in the last qtr - so it was an important goal at that stage of the match - English came and met the ball and took the o/head mark - but SDK - his direct opponent he slipped over - and in normal fashion he shakes his head after every mistake he makes - does he make plenty

Him and Kolo - thats going to be fun watching those 2 next year in tandom - thank goodness we have got 6 mths before the comp starts again

Conway - he reminds me a bit of a very young Ian Hampshire - Bluey was a good tap ruckman - and a strong o/head mark - and Conway looking at him - he looks a determined player

And the ones who are writing off Tuohy - he deserves a 1 year extension - still a good player - and he wont be playing VFL next year - that is ridiculous

Good luck to the Dogs in the finals if they keep their spot - got Carlton who will be heavily favoured - however i reckon the Dogs ( given the 2 teams contesting etc ) could beat Carlton 2 times out of 10 - so they have got a sneaky chance of winning in week 1

I think it was in a pre-season video, player talking about other player's prep.

I wonder in some of those videos how much different players responses are more about taking the piss out of some teammates and then about pumping up others

Some of the videos seem more about having fun & a laugh rather than anything else

It's hard to put this into words but on SDKs form I've mentioned the physical stuff earlier but mentally I believe he is missing Selwood he seemed after the GF last year quite distressed at the thought of Joel giving it away.I had the feeling Sam would walk over hot coals for the skipper,if it were in my power I'd get the two together for a coffee over the preseason.

What draft picks do we have? Late top 10, but do we have any others or did we forward trade them all?

This was the game Parfitt needed to have in round 1. He still needs to step up his ball use by a tonne.

Menegola showed his strong ball winning but at the same time demonstrated why he wasn't selected earlier. Maybe they could have eased him into the level as the Sub.

I thought there was a big contrast between these two. One was playing to impress for a chance elsewhere and the other looked pretty content to finish up IMO.

Parfitt had a red hot crack all night. Too little too late as you say but must have been hoping to catch the eye of a suitor.

At one point Knevitt tried to get Menegola to man up the next guy in the chain and Menegola was like, I don't think so kid, not in my last game.

I thought there was a big contrast between these two. One was playing to impress for a chance elsewhere and the other looked pretty content to finish up IMO.

Parfitt had a red hot crack all night. Too little too late as you say but must have been hoping to catch the eye of a suitor.

At one point Knevitt tried to get Menegola to man up the next guy in the chain and Menegola was like, I don't think so kid, not in my last game.

Im just happy Parfitt finally showed something this year- was looking like delist material earlier. Now im hopefull he can do some good next year.

Well I took my 7 year old daughter for her first ever game and she'd had enough by half time so we came home... So pretty much I feel like I saw a win, and great signs for the future.. The kids aren't perfect, anyone expecting them to be is a moron, they'll make mistakes.. But they just need to show constant improvement and drive the standards to an extent... If they are nipping at the heels it has to lift the ones above or they can miss out.

Ollie Henry is going to be special, just a natural dangerous goal scorer and as he gets bigger and stronger he'll rip games to shreds

It's hard to put this into words but on SDKs form I've mentioned the physical stuff earlier but mentally I believe he is missing Selwood he seemed after the GF last year quite distressed at the thought of Joel giving it away.I had the feeling Sam would walk over hot coals for the skipper,if it were in my power I'd get the two together for a coffee over the preseason.
Hope they are the same blood group and we can try a transfusion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back