Autopsy GWS beat North - game over at half time

Remove this Banner Ad

Never chatted to the people around me so much on level 2 as yesterday. Didn't hear one word of abuse at players, just frustration and acceptance. Think what encompassed the day was the loud cheer when the crowd size went up. Just proved to me how stalwart most of us are 🙂

Spot on Hoj. The noise was electric through the tv whenever there was a dud umpiring decision or we looked almost half a chance to do something.

This round's low attendances might in some part be attributed to the long weekend, and in 2022 across the board with all clubs, falling attendances might be attributed to the ongoing COVID spread risk across the community. However, the unackowledged elephant in the room for 2022 are the effects of the rising price of everything. People's money only goes so far. With fuel prices soaring, are people likely to drive the car to the footy, particularly supporters from the country? Then there's the rising household energy bills, rents and the kicker last week came with a big spike with mortgage rates with another half a percent rise tipped for next month.

Let's face it, a day at the footy for a family of four is not cheap. There are travel expenses; parking (if you drive); admission (for general entry); and expensive food. Certainly it's possible to easily spend around $280 for a family of four non-members to travel from Geelong, Ballarat or Seymour to a game of footy in Melbourne. Money which to put it quite bluntly has been taken away by the cost of living increases across the board this year.

Cost of living might be part of it but the biggest turn off to me is the absolutely unnecessary ******* with the rules and the abysmal interpretation of said rules - the AFL is destroying the game we love and as a result is nowhere near as enjoyable to watch.

Also, the AFL and umpires are officiating the game so it barely resembles the game we used to love.

I stopped watching other games a couple of years ago. If it wasn't for my love for North, AFL would be dead to me.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk
Beat me to it. Spot on.

An interesting stat from this round highlights a disturbing figure for the AFL. Consider Richmond with 100,000 members had 21,000 (21% of its membership) turn up to this round's game, admittedly a Thursday night game. But despite North Melbourne's woes, of our 47,000 members; 9,780 (21% of our membership) attended yesterday's Sunday graveyard game.

This round's low attendances might in some part be attributed to the long weekend, and in 2022 across the board with all clubs, falling attendances might be attributed to the ongoing COVID spread risk across the community. However, the unackowledged elephant in the room for 2022 are the effects of the rising price of everything. People's money only goes so far. With fuel prices soaring, are people likely to drive the car to the footy, particularly supporters from the country? Then there's the rising household energy bills, rents and the kicker last week came with a big spike with mortgage rates with another half a percent rise tipped for next month.

Let's face it, a day at the footy for a family of four is not cheap. There are travel expenses; parking (if you drive); admission (for general entry); and expensive food. Certainly it's possible to easily spend around $280 for a family of four non-members to travel from Geelong, Ballarat or Seymour to a game of footy in Melbourne. Money which to put it quite bluntly has been taken away by the cost of living increases across the board this year.

The AFL has to acknowledge that most households are spending around $250 per week more on cost of living expenses than they were at this time last year, but no average household has experienced a $250 per week increase in its income. So the AFL simply has to suck up the low crowd numbers, and everybody else should consider that North's attendances this year are not just attributable to the team's on field performance alone.

Good post. We might see our membership numbers regress next year as a result.

As someone who commented we looked better after quarter time and since read some frustrated views on this, I have to add that I didn’t mean it was much good still. It was just an observation, based on a couple of changes I could see. North made twice as many tackles in the first half of the second quarter as in the whole first quarter. GWS had to pass the ball around more before waltzing through to score goals so North seemed to have set up a bit better. It wasn’t good, by any stretch, just objectively better than the first quarter, which was thoroughly abysmal.

Whatever structure we were trying to implement in the first quarter the players don’t get.

So much finger pointing and guarding meaningless grass

They are not on the same page. We desperately need something to change. GWS should have been a winnable game. Against an opposition with three wins and we were no where near it.

They need some sort of catharsis during the bye. Be it a coaching change be it they bring in gloves and sort it out, be it they get on the disco biscuits together and have a love in. I no longer care what they do but sort it out.

Get all the s**t together, get it is one place because you can’t sort it out till they do that.

Good post. We might see our membership numbers regress next year as a result.
Apart from the 2022 Premiers a membership drop woud affect all other clubs too, but I reckon that members might simply choose the less expensive membership packages instead.

Never chatted to the people around me so much on level 2 as yesterday. Didn't hear one word of abuse at players, just frustration and acceptance. Think what encompassed the day was the loud cheer when the crowd size went up. Just proved to me how stalwart most of us are 🙂
Hoju you didn’t come to see me!

An interesting stat from this round highlights a disturbing figure for the AFL. Consider Richmond with 100,000 members had 21,000 (21% of its membership) turn up to this round's game, admittedly a Thursday night game. But despite North Melbourne's woes, of our 47,000 members; 9,780 (21% of our membership) attended yesterday's Sunday graveyard game.

The AFL has to acknowledge that most households are spending around $250 per week more on cost of living expenses than they were at this time last year, but no average household has experienced a $250 per week increase in its income. So the AFL simply has to suck up the low crowd numbers, and everybody else should consider that North's attendances this year are not just attributable to the team's on field performance alone.
not to quibble with your general point, but the crowd was 13,700

Can someone tell me what the 50 metres was for (right before Hayden gave away the free kick)?
I though it was because Steve put his arms up but it looked like it was paid before he did it? Was something said about the non paid mark to JZ?
The GWS player - can't remember who it was - immediately put his hand to his nose after marking it.

I thought Perez clipped him while trying to spoil.

After half time we show a little bit more, but it’s getting boring knowing before the game we will lose.

No System
No Confidence
No Hope with Noble
You know it’s going to be boring when your rocking up to the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

not to quibble with your general point, but the crowd was 13,700
Oh dear, stick to te magic Merlin :), because the figures were about membership percentages in attendance. While 13,700 attended, 9,780 of them were actual North Melbourne members. Assuming that GWS had the odd supporter there too (including their entire Melbourne membership which consists of two men and a Dacshund named Toby), we might rightly assume that at least 1500 - 2000 of the 13,700 there yesterday were North Melbourne non-members.

Last edited:
Apparently it was organised on TikTok.

Basically a turn-up and s**t on North day.

Our Club has lost any respect it had in the broader football world.

Partly through our our poor results and partly from the mass media pile on over the past few months.

Dane Swan has just labelled us pathetic on Twitter FFS.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk
That’s pretty cooked.

We’re a laughing stock. Zero backbone

Noble is part of the problem with the way we are playing, but he isn't at fault for players inability to hit team mates. If we just stopped turning the ball over and make basic errors which cost goals, we would lost games like this by 2-3 goals. We just let them hit targets like we were cones. 149 marks, 5 contested. Hawks benchmark was 100 marks a game, 120 and it was a slaughter and GWS probably have a better kicking team than hawks ever had.

These are the same problems we had with Brad, same with Shaw, same with Noble, how many coaches you want to blame for players not executing? Those other two coaches with the exact same list had great games against good opposition as well, so it wasn't an inability to do it. Not asking for the impossible, just do the basics.
That’s the problem, carnt even do the basics right. The current Playing list is not up to it!

and ban all forms of non-renewable energy sourced lighting at the stadiums[/COLOR] :thumbsu:;)

I think there is something to work with in this suggestion.

I'd start by banning the light show trumpeting a goal at Docklands after the opposition kick a goal. It'd save heaps of energy and the North people who attend don't need our stadium rubbing it in our face when the opposition scores. It annoys me no end.

I'd also ban the full on lights show when we kick a goal. Just because.

That’s pretty cooked.

We’re a laughing stock. Zero backbone
The only thing that shuts it up is to win and win consistently and we are a long way from that.

Whatever structure we were trying to implement in the first quarter the players don’t get.

So much finger pointing and guarding meaningless grass

They are not on the same page. We desperately need something to change. GWS should have been a winnable game. Against an opposition with three wins and we were no where near it.

They need some sort of catharsis during the bye. Be it a coaching change be it they bring in gloves and sort it out, be it they get on the disco biscuits together and have a love in. I no longer care what they do but sort it out.

Get all the s**t together, get it is one place because you can’t sort it out till they do that.
Lack of work without the ball yesterday was frustrating. When they had the ball, we were constantly trailing by 10m or covering ground while they easily moved the ball. When we had it, movement ahead was non existent, and 1:1s were everywhere.

How many quarters 1-3 mins in are we standing around hands on hips?

I think there is something to work with in this suggestion.

I'd start by banning the light show trumpeting a goal at Docklands after the opposition kick a goal. It'd save heaps of energy and the North people who attend don't need our stadium rubbing it in our face when the opposition scores. It annoys me no end.

I'd also ban the full on lights show when we kick a goal. Just because.
The MCC have acknowledged recently that the light towers at the MCG will be completely redundant once a new GSS is built and the ground is fitted with Perth Stadium style lighting. Perhaps they might consider coverting the six light towers into wind turbines ... enough energy for the whole of East Melbourne, from Spring Street to Punt Road ;)

Another personal highlight for me: We've become used to teams scoring coast to coast goals against us. But at one point I'm sure we gave away a free on our own goal line and the umpires actually went coast to coast and scored a goal for them with the Giants only registering 1 possession. Surely a first.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back