Tasmania Congratulations on Tassie License. Mens team to enter 2028. Womens team TBA. Other details TBA 3/5

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every team playing 18 H & A instead of 22? Nah, it won't happen. I guarantee you that if Tassie comes in as team 19 (my spider-sense tells me they will because the AFL knows it's the people's choice unless you're a diehard VFL nut), they'll stick with 22 H & A games per team.

And then when we hit 24 teams one day (we will, you watch), that's when I think they'll consider two divisions of 12 teams with every team playing each other twice. You'd take the top 12 from the previous season, and that's your premier division, and then the bottom 11 + the new expansion team as your second division.

Then eventually, they'll add new teams and start them out in a third division. People say there'll never be more than 20 teams or that there won't even be a 19th team, but they're kidding themselves. You've got reps in Mandurah and Joondalup pushing for a team in the future, another one in SA, a Nth Qld team, etc.

There'll be more expansion where the money, growth, and potential are there.
The player talent pool would be horrifically diminished .... we would be watching State League even Amateur standard games .... if thr League expanded to that extent .... even now the standard is borderline average and the AFL would be propping up clubs all over the place ..... I mean how many are going to see Joondalup and Mandurah .... 5k??

I don't know but I don't see them ever going back from 22 rounds.
I do as it would be a great thing for the competition ..... AFL need to stop being greedy and look what is the best going forward cause currently plenty of supporters are becoming disengaged and I think players and clubs would welcome slightly less games (3) in terms of player welfare as well

Last edited:
The player talent pool would be horrifically diminished .... we would be watching State League even Amateur standard games .... if thr League expanded to that extent .... even now the standard is borderline average and the AFL would be propping up clubs all over the place ..... I mean how many are going to see Joondalup and Mandurah .... 5k??
I don't agree with the talent pool argument. It's all the rules and over-umpiring that hurts the game. The actual competition right now is pretty even and exciting. They aren't going to keep adding teams every five years, but I can see them adding teams every 12-15 years in twos.

FWIW I don't care if the AFL ever has more than 21 teams but I'd like to see Tassie, ACT, and NT eventually. We don't really need another team in WA, SA, QLD, or NSW.

:thumbsu:
If you want a lesser standard of footy, go watch the 2nd tier.

Canberra already has 500k within an hour's drive.

Canberra is 3.4 times larger than Darwin, and Canberrans have 77% more disposable income, so the Canberra market is six times bigger than Darwin.
You replying to a post from me, BUT, there nothing in my post from me about Darwin having a team so why you make the comparison is weird reply. I'm not the poster pushing for a team from there.

Will? Might. No guarantees of that.

How many more subscribers are Fox going to attract?
Gil told the presidents and CEOs he is confident it will, and he'd have a fair idea on the value of the new deal by now.

He's asked for broadcast partners to put bids in for both 18 and 19 teams.

You replying to a post from me, BUT, there nothing in my post from me about Darwin having a team so why you make the comparison is weird reply. I'm not the poster pushing for a team from there.

Sorry, you're right, I meant to compare it to Bendigo in your post.

Similar argument stands, Bendigo's even smaller than Darwin and doesn't even have any experience hosting AFL games. Also makes way less sense than Canberra.

There are too many teams in Victoria, but that shouldn't be Tasmania's problem.

Perhaps if Tasmania gains entry there may be discussions about merging a couple of the weaker clubs? I think this is unlikely though, as the current AFL executive is comfortable with having 19 teams.
Hopefully the whole board believes 19 teams is not too many,
Gil told the presidents and CEOs he is confident it will, and he'd have a fair idea on the value of the new deal by now.

They have said the next broadcast deal will be worth more than $670 million.

The problem is that half the AFL clubs must think that the discussion is whether they should admit another GC or GWS. The reality is, the decision more akin as to whether to introduce another Adelaide or West Coast. First team into an AFL market. It is not speculative. They don’t have to convert anyone. On a smaller scale, sure, but still, this is a no brainer. A slam dunk.

The problem is that half the AFL clubs must think that the discussion is whether they should admit another GC or GWS. The reality is, the decision more akin as to whether to introduce another Adelaide or West Coast. First team into an AFL market. It is not speculative. They don’t have to convert anyone. On a smaller scale, sure, but still, this is a no brainer. A slam dunk.
Exactly.
This is a traditional football state that should have already had a team in the 1990's some time.

Course correcting something we should have done some time ago.

Exactly.
This is a traditional football state that should have already had a team in the 1990's some time.

Course correcting something we should have done some time ago.
Nah in the 90’s Tassie was a basket place. It took until under the Bacon government for things to start turning around. It’s a very different place now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Re: going from 22 match H&A season to 18 matches + an extra finals week ... so 3 less weekends in the year ..... I think the AFL really have to seriously consider player welfare and also that the season is already massively long .... NFL play 17 H&A rounds ..... as it is the system is already unfair with the double ups and the shorter season might engage supporters to turn up more knowing there are less games to attend .... so 4 less H&A rounds but 1 more finals round and some extra playoff draft games .... I mean how much are the AFL really going to lose out financially??
The Afl are getting 946 million over the next 2 season's for 44 games + finals. Take 6 games out of that. You do the math.

One thing I not sure of is what implied in this thread title. 2025 seems very close imo.
I think it more likely to be 2027 type timing because clubs will want plenty of time to adjust drafting and list management strategies, especially now future pick trading is well embedded in strategies. They will want a bit more space in terms of time to allow for and Tassie also needs time to get a team in Eastern seaboard reserves comp. I think 2025 seems very optimistic.
I'd personally love it to be that soon but I suspect it will be a few years later.
Hope I am wrong.

One thing I not sure of is what implied in this thread title. 2025 seems very close imo.
I think it more likely to be 2027 type timing because clubs will want plenty of time to adjust drafting and list management strategies, especially now future pick trading is well embedded in strategies. They will want a bit more space in terms of time to allow for and Tassie also needs time to get a team in Eastern seaboard reserves comp. I think 2025 seems very optimistic.
I'd personally love it to be that soon but I suspect it will be a few years later.
Hope I am wrong.
2028 is most likely entry date from what I have heard several times.

Hope I am wrong.
Meet in the middle and go 2026. Clarkson can still come in by 2028, especially if Tassie struggles in their first two years.

It's still a guess, irrespective of who makes it. Not suggesting Gil (or whoever) is wrong or right, but you can't categorically state that TV rights will jump to that extent until there's 2 sets of bids on the table -, 1 for 18 teams and 1 for 19.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back