Autopsy 2022 Rd 23 Choked again. Season Done.

Remove this Banner Ad

What Vossy said confirms my thoughts....neat corporate rhetoric. Bottom six not necessarily an issue when we lost our last two games against quality opposition by 5 and 1 point...and after leading with a few minutes to go in the game. In round 23, what about Charlie's kicks (and I'm not being critical on him) for goal in the last stanza?

Yeah I get it. It was forked up the whole thing. I am blaming Charlie. But remember, Voss just went through what we went through as well, but he was the coach of the team and watched them unravel. Taking all that into consideration, I thought he was great. Had the right mix of positivity and acknowledgment.

I think looking at the footage, in this instance at least, it's a fair contest imo. McKay dropped his knees to draw the free instead of attempting the second grab.

View attachment 1487463

In general though it's hard to believe that neither Harry or Charlie warranted a free throughout the 60+ entries.

Harry was held all game. But you are bang on here, he feel to his knees instead of taking the mark.

Hope your are right. I’m slightly scared that the way forward is like netball with shirtfronts and tackles. Netball is fast paced and every pass is weighted to advantage. If the pies can hold up on the physicality side then running in numbers and making those weighted hand passes and kicks could be a new way forward. In this style the daicos boys x2, Pendlebury and Sidebottom are the centres that distribute.

There is a clash of styles going on. Our stop start versus some other teams slingshotting with numbers. Our forward 50 entries end up in the pocket with a 6 foot 4 player trying to kick a goal on an acute angle. Lots of our opponents are gettiping overlap goals where they simply run in and score. Or they overlap so much it is a shot straight in front.

Riddle me this…
over this year I’ve heard we are one of the best stoppage sides in the league. Top 2 or 3??
over this last half season people told me we were second or first for stopping scores in our defensive 50
we arguably have the best two forward talls in the game
we have the Coleman medalist
we have 2 defenders in the all Australian squad and Docherty was a whisker away
we didn’t make the 8

Those 'arguable' best two forwards in the game failed to kick straight in the last two rounds when it mattered. Neither played like the best forwards in the comp in either match.

Maybe. But this kind of connection between the backs (and Weitering as the leader) needs to be built over time.

No getting away from the fact that Marchbank, McGovern Williams and Stocker weren't even in the team 3 weeks ago.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
I think it was Judd who used to speak of the importance of cohesion, we really haven't been able to build that with the constant changes.

Like your posts blue blooded. Always well thought out.

Sometimes I feel our game plan is rescued by the sheer brilliance of some of our individual players rather than us having a great game plan. Charlie is miraculous on occasion on turning the tide. Cripps amazing early season. Others too Like Saad, McKay etc. Sometimes it feels like we are simply a side of 6-8 superheroes killing themselves to get us over the line.

Im still waiting for Carlton to get easy goals during the season like our opponents almost get weekly. I hope it comes next year.

Great post, great point. Collingwood dont have a Curnow or a Harry, but they have a great system. If their equivalent is out it matters not, the next person steps in and takes their place. Elliott doesnt score but Mihocek kicks 3. Both those are quiet Ginnivan steps up. Or Ash Johnson. For us it's Charlie, Harry or bust. Owies or Durdin will never kick a bag. SOS spending half the game in the ruck. Jack Martin no chance though he came close v Melbourne but he's just far too inconsistent to be reliable.

Chris Scott and Clarkson having had 5-10 years with their sides to coach how they want them to defend that situation, or Chris Scott and Clarkson in their first year at a new club coming off a low base with a coach who regularly conceded 6 goal runs?

Yes, our coaching staff and on-field leaders have work to do. But expecting them to have the same level of preparation as a dynasty team at their peak is silly.
Sorry but it's not silly to hold your coaches to the highest standard in professional sport.
We were destroying Collingwood at the source ( contested possession +54 ! ). Their only way back into the game was to engineer some slingshot footy.
Their One Wood as the Melbourne player alluded to a few weeks ago. Surely our coaching staff were aware of that and at the very least have a plus 1 in defence. I'm afraid not. Instead they had a paddock of space to work with once we turned over the ball in our forward line. The rest is history.
Another year of no finals and there are absolutely no guarantees that we will be there next year.

I have to say it. Weitering disappointed as a leader down back. He does not direct enough and he let his man get distance on him while he guarded space. He was awesome early in the season and was a shadow of himself when he came back and somehow dragged Young down with him. We would almost have been better off leaving Young empowered to be the main man.

The footage of that last Elliott goal was damning for Weiters. He also should have been calling defenders back into position on several occasions.

I promise you he wasn't at all. Was getting beaten pointless in one on one contests. Very rarely was he able to intercept. The biggest myth in football is Weitering's 'good' form before his injury. It simply wasn't the case.

Just checked ... yep, still hurts.
Sad Season 2 GIF by Friends

Us for the next 7 months :(:huh::sick:

I promise you he wasn't at all. Was getting beaten pointless in one on one contests. Very rarely was he able to intercept. The biggest myth in football is Weitering's 'good' form before his injury. It simply wasn't the case.
That is absolutely incorrect, Weitering was in superb from before his injury and was tracking for All Australian selection, his form on his return has been no where near pre injury.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's simply not true. Was in very good form. Got coaches votes in 3 or 4 games. Fairly easy to look up the AA thread on the main board at that time and nearly every person had him in the AA team (carlton and opposition fans). Voss was waxing lyrical about him after the swans game.

He even got in the all Australian squad of 44 pretty much based on his early season form. Your argument would suggest that the coaches, pretty much all on big footy, Michael Voss and the all Australian judges are all wrong.

Sorry but it's not silly to hold your coaches to the highest standard in professional sport.
We were destroying Collingwood at the source ( contested possession +54 ! ). Their only way back into the game was to engineer some slingshot footy.
Their One Wood as the Melbourne player alluded to a few weeks ago. Surely our coaching staff were aware of that and at the very least have a plus 1 in defence. I'm afraid not. Instead they had a paddock of space to work with once we turned over the ball in our forward line. The rest is history.
Another year of no finals and there are absolutely no guarantees that we will be there next year.
This is very true. Nothing is guaranteed. Who knows how many more suprises that footy gods have for us

You are right. It is so funny he is in the all Australian squad. He has been much much better in the last two seasons.

This season he has been average at best. What has helped his cause is that no one has stood out so much this year. Only May.

Having said that, I expect next season he returns and becomes the best tall defender in the game.

Last edited:

Yep - don't think I've ever been as gutted or numb after that - even that Brisbane elimination final last quarter choke in 2009 didn't feel as bad as this (maybe it did).

I had thought during the week - what would be the worst case scenario and figured choking in another close one would be the worst.

..and guess what.

The last 8 weeks or so since the Freo win have just been like a slow-motion train wreck.

That is absolutely incorrect, Weitering was in superb from before his injury and was tracking for All Australian selection, his form on his return has been no where near pre injury.

That's simply not true. Was in very good form. Got coaches votes in 3 or 4 games. Fairly easy to look up the AA thread on the main board at that time and nearly every person had him in the AA team (carlton and opposition fans). Voss was waxing lyrical about him after the swans game.

He even got in the all Australian squad of 44 pretty much based on his early season form. Your argument would suggest that the coaches, pretty much all on big footy, Michael Voss and the all Australian judges are all wrong.

His inclusion in the AA squad is ridiculous. The AA judges most definitely have it wrong and I dont really think that's something new. He has been chosen purely on reputation.

Re the coaches votes he polled twice in the first 10 rounds. 5 votes v Hawks and 9 v Sydney where I agree he played a great game. But that is all. His form was average at best and he was beaten more often than not by his opponent. When he got injured v Collingwood his reputation grew tenfold. That's the way I saw it. And I reckon I saw a lot more than any AA judge that's for sure. And since he came back he's been just the same as before. There's no extra injury. It's the same form throughout the year other than one or two games.

Last edited:
Bloody hell does it hurt!!

Smell September coming and no Finals.

Really feel for the players too, I think Bob Murphy said after losing a close final he woke up the next morning feeling like his arm have been sawn off, the pain was so bad.

I really feel for Charlie… it would have been the perfect game from him if he’d kicked straight… I’m sure it’s cutting him up inside.

Chris Scott and Clarkson having had 5-10 years with their sides to coach how they want them to defend that situation, or Chris Scott and Clarkson in their first year at a new club coming off a low base with a coach who regularly conceded 6 goal runs?

Yes, our coaching staff and on-field leaders have work to do. But expecting them to have the same level of preparation as a dynasty team at their peak is silly.
Chris Scott took a list in a premiership window and won a flag first year.

This list is in its premiership window and didn’t make the top 8. This list was built to be in its prime right now. The cherrys on top have been added over the last 2 years. It’s called a window for a reason. Cripps will be past his prime soon. It’s a fail. A spectacular one.

Chris Scott took a list in a premiership window and won a flag first year.

This list is in its premiership window and didn’t make the top 8. This list was built to be in its prime right now. The cherrys on top have been added over the last 2 years. It’s called a window for a reason. Cripps will be past his prime soon. It’s a fail. A spectacular one.
yeah cripps may be past his prime soon, but the list wont be.

Agree this year is a failure as we didn't achieve our stated goal of finals, but **** me there are some chicken littles around? We will be better next year, or do you start a rebuild now?

Had a bad day at golf today. Playing partner was a Magpie supporter, and he was into me. With all the pent up anger in me resulting from our last two games against top 4 sides going down by less than a kick in each, I blew my top and called him all the names under the sun. Lot of tension thereafter, couldn't concentrate properly and unfortunately didn't help my golf game. :persevere:

Had a bad day at golf today. Playing partner was a Magpie supporter, and he was into me. With all the pent up anger in me resulting from our last two games against top 4 sides going down by less than a kick in each, I blew my top and called him all the names under the sun. Lot of tension thereafter, couldn't concentrate properly and unfortunately didn't help my golf game. :persevere:
When they lose their last final this year, remember to drop him a line.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back