Preview Elimination Final vs Richmond Tigers @ the Gabba, Thu Sep 1 7:20 PM

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if Richmond will consider stretching our defense by playing Balta as a tall and then having Dusty play as a small/medium forward. If thats the case we may need Prior in the back to handle Dusty as I think Ah Chee (and Lohman) would be too undersized to handle Dusty. I wouldnt want to move Starc off Bolton and would consider having him play a full field run with role including following him into the middle.
Balta will play in defence most likely on Hipwood or Daniher

Richmond defenders : Usually play 7 man defence
Tarrant (196cm )
Noah Balta (195cm)
Ben Miller (198cm)
Nathan Broad (192cm)
Nick Vlastuin (188cm) L
liam Baker (174cm)
Dan Rioli (180cm)
Jayden Short (175cm)

Balta & Miller will chop out in the Ruck
Baker & Short have turns running through midfield

Last edited:
If we're only playing players 100% fit we're not fielding a best 22.
It is a two sided coin. A fully fit player is always better than an injured one. I suspect Daniher is not 100% but are his issues such that he can’t be the player we need. Time will tell.

I wonder if Richmond will consider stretching our defense by playing Balta as a tall and then having Dusty play as a small/medium forward. If thats the case we may need Prior in the back to handle Dusty as I think Ah Chee (and Lohman) would be too undersized to handle Dusty. I wouldnt want to move Starc off Bolton and would consider having him play a full field run with role including following him into the middle.
I’d play Prior on Bolton as a tagger.

"Shoulder injury" as an excuse for not even trying to run after a rebounding defender. :drunk:

In the back half of the season he's literally chased and dived for tackles. What are you actually expecting him to do?

That is a BIG ask for a 21 year old with 30 games

Im not sure about Prior's speed and footy nous but a 190 cm defender going with Shai could end up in tears
think you will need a more mobile experienced player. Shai has the ability to kick 5 goals in a half and destroy the game

Ah Chee would be my choice

Im not sure about Prior's speed and footy nous but a 190 cm defender going with Shai could end up in tears
think you will need a more mobile experienced player. Shai has the ability to kick 5 goals in a half and destroy the game

Yeah absolutely zero chance I'd be taking a punt on Prior to tag someone out. Ah Chee makes the most sense, although Wilmot is very capable of doing so - just a risk of trying him out in his first game.

Judging on past experience I doubt we play anyone on Bolton, or any player for that matter. Our zone defence should take care of them.

In other predictions, Lyons will get stuck in when it's tight and tough, Zorks will lead by example, Daniher will keep his feet when flying for marks, we will kick to our talls advantage and players will run both ways.

He is supposed to stop the faster and more agile rebounding defender in his tracks.🤔

Of course he is... 😂

Seriously though our forward line has been working their asses off to cover for our mids - if our mids did the defensive work the likes of Linc and Charlie did we'd be top 4.

Yeah absolutely zero chance I'd be taking a punt on Prior to tag someone out. Ah Chee makes the most sense, although Wilmot is very capable of doing so - just a risk of trying him out in his first game.
Wilmot is a fantastic kid and he will be a player and i rated him very highly in the draft and he went just 1 pick prior to or pick

He is the perfect proto type but to ask him to be responsible for a player like Shai is throwing him to the Wolves
Shai has a very high footy I.Q and is slippery as a eel

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wilmot is a fantastic kid and he will be a player and i rated him very highly in the draft and he went just 1 pick prior to or pick

He is the perfect proto type but to ask him to be responsible for a player like Shai is throwing him to the Wolves
Shai has a very high footy I.Q and is slippery as a eel

I wouldn't be playing him on Shai.

I'd be going:

Andrews v Lynch
Gardiner v Martin
Starcevich v Shai
Payne v Riewoldt
Wilmot v Cumberland

Would then look at using Coleman to apply defensive pressure on Shai and Cumberland when in defensive setups.

Ah Chee then plays wing and can run back into defence when needed.

Hypothetical of course, and expect Ah Chee will play down back but I'd rather get him on a wing and Prior is not a 1v1 defender.

Balta will play in defence most likely on Hipwood or Daniher

Richmond defenders : Usually play 7 man defence
Tarrant (196cm )
Noah Balta (195cm)
Ben Miller (198cm)
Nathan Broad (192cm)
Nick Vlastuin (188cm) L
liam Baker (174cm)
Dan Rioli (180cm)
Jayden Short (175cm)

Balta & Miller will chop out in the Ruck
Baker & Short have turns running through midfield
does short play much time in the backline at all anymore?

i remember he was starting off there in our last encounter and some comments were made to the effect that hes hardly been down there in the back half of the year from my richmond supporting friends

got moved to a mid / hff role after quarter time i believe

does short play much time in the backline at all anymore?

i remember he was starting off there in our last encounter and some comments were made to the effect that hes hardly been down there in the back half of the year from my richmond supporting friends

got moved to a mid / hff role after quarter time i believe
Plays rotating in the midfield but also see him pushing up into the backline regularly
He doesnt defend a foward but is a great runner that takes the 2nd kick out of the backline

I think Prior could manage. I like that he is slightly bigger than Bolton 189cm and 85 kg v 177cm and 77kg - my thinking is that he plays close and uses size to his advantage in the same way opponents try to tag Charlie Cameron out of the game. Of course Ah Chee matches up more closely at 182cm and 78kg and he would do a good job I’m sure, but I don’t know about his capacity to physically dominate Bolton. I love Prior for his aggression and football focus. He is a pure footballer and I am rapt he is on our list. Either way, Bolton needs to be in the end of a monumental tag.

Judging on past experience I doubt we play anyone on Bolton, or any player for that matter. Our zone defence should take care of them.

In other predictions, Lyons will get stuck in when it's tight and tough, Zorks will lead by example, Daniher will keep his feet when flying for marks, we will kick to our talls advantage and players will run both ways.
Do I detect a waft of sarcasm?

I think Prior could manage. I like that he is slightly bigger than Bolton 189cm and 85 kg v 177cm and 77kg - my thinking is that he plays close and uses size to his advantage in the same way opponents try to tag Charlie Cameron out of the game. Of course Ah Chee matches up more closely at 182cm and 78kg and he would do a good job I’m sure, but I don’t know about his capacity to physically dominate Bolton. I love Prior for his aggression and football focus. He is a pure footballer and I am rapt he is on our list. Either way, Bolton needs to be in the end of a monumental tag,
having a bigger size is actually a disadvantage against Shai Bolton
The defender wont get body on him when the ball is close by and he will either be sliding away or jumping on their heads

Agility , speed and defensive attributes are what you need

I don't know why Rich keeps taking the kick in if he's going to chip 20m. He's better off being the second kick taking it from 20m to beyond half way. If he does take them, needs to be 60-70m otherwise he's just clocking up useless stats.
One of my biggest fears on Thursday night is Rich getting hold of his old copy of Justin Leppitsch’s playbook and consistently kicking it down the line to a contest that we lose because McStay pushes up on the wing, can’t hold his marks and Richmond get multiple repeat entries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back