Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 5 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why are Collingwood pushing Grundy out? Cameron has been good but Grundy is so much better plus Cameron then plays Cox role when he is back.

Is their cap tight again?? I feel like I've missed something where all of a sudden they are desperate to get rid of him and will even pay 300k of his contract.

It’s poor list management.

They should keep him and just deal with the consequences….

OR

Trade him to a club who will take on ALL of his contract. There are a couple who would.

Dunks is probably our form mid at the moment, so has the right to see if he can add any $ to his contract in finals. Get yourself that Norm Smith and that JJ type pay rise i say
I mean, maybe having Dunks cash hungry and unsigned is a real blessing in disguises this time of year? What if he goes total beast mode? I don’t care what motivates him.

That will make Cats stronger, I wonder what will happen to Stanley and Blicavs?
Blicavs plays utility anyway - and Stanley is barely AFL standard

Pies ****ed themselves with the Grundy contract in the past (and the Adzy contract, 900k wayyy too much) but I actually don’t mind what they’re doing now - obviously it looks better considering their own field form has turned around dramatically though, would be a different story if they were failing on field.

They shipped off Phillips & Stephenson which have now been shown to be crap, and they’re not afraid to be aggressive as they’ve shown with Grundy. Grundys a good ruckmen but geez he’s overpaid, he’s good around the ground without being Timmy good, and okay - good in the middle without being Gawn good. Don’t get me wrong most clubs would have him you’d be doing very well if he was your ruck, but not at the 1.2 or whatever ridiculous salary they’re paying him.

They’re targeting the right types that their list build needs in Taranto/Hill/McStay

But it’ll be interesting to see what their ceiling is, I get the feeling they’ve made themselves super competitive almost too quickly, they bottomed out for only the one year/one high draft pick, and they cut/are cutting a fair bit of their older players but haven’t exactly cashed in at the trade table for them. If you said a few years ago they sold off Treloar/Grundy etc whilst bottoming out you’d think they had multiple top draft picks over multiple years but they didn’t.

So whilst I like the strategy I’m not sure about the execution - probably hamstrung a bit by the utterly ridiculous contracts their ex-list manager gave out.

Aaand at the end of the day they’re sitting in the top 4 going into finals so not much we can say about their approach tbh 🙄

Pies *ed themselves with the Grundy contract in the past (and the Adzy contract, 900k wayyy too much) but I actually don’t mind what they’re doing now - obviously it looks better considering their own field form has turned around dramatically though, would be a different story if they were failing on field.

They shipped off Phillips & Stephenson which have now been shown to be crap, and they’re not afraid to be aggressive as they’ve shown with Grundy. Grundys a good ruckmen but geez he’s overpaid, he’s good around the ground without being Timmy good, and okay - good in the middle without being Gawn good. Don’t get me wrong most clubs would have him you’d be doing very well if he was your ruck, but not at the 1.2 or whatever ridiculous salary they’re paying him.

They’re targeting the right types that their list build needs in Taranto/Hill/McStay

But it’ll be interesting to see what their ceiling is, I get the feeling they’ve made themselves super competitive almost too quickly, they bottomed out for only the one year/one high draft pick, and they cut/are cutting a fair bit of their older players but haven’t exactly cashed in at the trade table for them. If you said a few years ago they sold off Treloar/Grundy etc whilst bottoming out you’d think they had multiple top draft picks over multiple years but they didn’t.

So whilst I like the strategy I’m not sure about the execution - probably hamstrung a bit by the utterly ridiculous contracts their ex-list manager gave out.

Aaand at the end of the day they’re sitting in the top 4 going into finals so not much we can say about their approach tbh 🙄
They didn’t even really benefit from bottoming out because they had traded away their 2021 first-round pick for massive unders (based on where they ended up finishing) and would have picked up Daicos anyway.

They didn’t even really benefit from bottoming out because they had traded away their 2021 first-round pick for massive unders (based on where they ended up finishing) and would have picked up Daicos anyway.
True haha, forgot about that. They’ve really made a *ing absolute ton of * ups

Dunkley wearing the hidden mic at training today having a laugh with the boys on social media.

Sure sign he's 100% staying
It’ll be great hearing him doing this at Port, sure to quickly get an Insta following 🙄. Who do you think will be his podcast partner? - umm, can’t think of any Port names, whatsisname has just retired, that guy who took Bont’s Brownlow has zero personality, what about Charlieeeee?

I think English better positioned in the ruck despite not that good at pure ruck. He's more like another midfielder who goes around to win the ball through his marking and clean disposal. The dogs lose this if he plays forward and I think the clubs knows he is better doing that than having him play most forward/up ground. Gawn is the same but he has the ruck craft on top. However his body is no longer letting him cover as much ground and it means he no longer is as dominating as he used to be.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geelong expected to get Grundy.

Pies to pay ~$200K per annum for 3 years, as part of an updated contract. Trade doesn’t involve a first round pick going to the Pies.

This is the sort of money ball move we could as a club look at. Although it would mean 2 elite mobile ruckman, I would rather Grundy doing a 50/50 split with English, than Lobb doing a 20/80 ruck split with English.

We got Treloar for unders and Grundy is certainly going to go for unders.

What's the go here? Grundy was the Pies superstar ruckman & when he's up and about he's a very good player. Didn't they just sign him to a long term deal?

Pies *ed themselves with the Grundy contract in the past (and the Adzy contract, 900k wayyy too much) but I actually don’t mind what they’re doing now - obviously it looks better considering their own field form has turned around dramatically though, would be a different story if they were failing on field.

Yeah the Pies do feel like they could do with another high end draft pick.

What's the go here? Grundy was the Pies superstar ruckman & when he's up and about he's a very good player. Didn't they just sign him to a long term deal?

Mixture of things imo.
Darcy Cameron playing well. Mason Cox going alright as the number two.

Then they decided they could do without him and wanna open their cap for Bobby Hill, Mcstay and maybe another target to improve their list.

Pies also in to Tom Mitchell

Dunkley out and Mitchell in? Don’t know what he is on but it fills part of the gap? For all our vaunted midfield Libbas knees are still and issue and I’d rather replace dunks with a mature ager if we are bringing Lobb across to have a proper crack.

Dunkley out and Mitchell in? Don’t know what he is on but it fills part of the gap? For all our vaunted midfield Libbas knees are still and issue and I’d rather replace dunks with a mature ager if we are bringing Lobb across to have a proper crack.
Isn't he 30 already? We need mids in the early to mid 20s or we'll end up like Geelong

Pies have been a great story this year and really fun to watch as a neutral. I wouldn’t be shocked if they fall back to the pack next year with a harder draw, off season to plan against them and a couple of bounces of the ball going against them. Wouldn’t he shocked if they miss the 8 next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back