Club Mgmt. Board of Directors as led by President Dave Barham

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:

My god - what an absolute joke!
Not like there wasn't a homosexual person (Or someone who has had an abortion) working at NAB whilst he was there as CEO.
As long as he didn't sack someone for it or try to instil his beliefs on anyone else - honestly... who gives a heck!
I feel sorry for the bloke because I thought he'd be good at his job - but apparently that isn't important anymore cos of the optics. Spare me!
Ridiculous.

Well that went well.

Now onto our... fourth external process in six weeks? Coach process, CEO process, external review process, CEO process mk 2?
Does get clarko count as coach process mk1?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 1526322

Surely if a proper process had already be run, we wouldn't need to commence a search?
This one is tricky, it is against Victorian law to discriminate against candidates for any lawful religious belief and you are not meant to question them on such matters.

You're not even meant to look online about people (even though we know places do).

While this looks extremely bad, you could argue a complete, lawful and non-discriminatory recruitment process was completed.

But anyway, I don't really care enough to argue for the Essendon management on this one..

Can we just forget this ever happened????

will smith mib GIF

This one is tricky, it is against Victorian law to discriminate against candidates for any lawful religious belief and you are not meant to question them on such matters.

You're not even meant to look online about people (even though we know places do).

While this looks extremely bad, you could argue a complete, lawful and non-discriminatory recruitment process was completed.

But anyway, I don't really care enough to argue for the Essendon management on this one..

My observation is more along the lines of if we had run a proper process, we'd have a short list of candidates who had already interviewed and were ready to go.

That comment seems to imply Barham woke up one day and decided on Thorburn, which would actually make sense given we appointed him to form the external review and the CEO search.

Which makes me more angry than anything else that has come out in the last day, that we made a handshake agreement with the guy to be CEO and prior to announcing that publicly, we had him masquerading as conducting the 'external review'.

Last edited:
Oh ffs Essendon! Due diligence would have seen this from a mile off. If the values of inclusiveness were so integral to the board then a thorough review of an applicant’s affiliated groups should have been a no-brainer.
Is being chair of any church enough to nope it? Coz that part is on his linked in profile and is probably discrimination.

If it's this specific church, and specifically a 2013 sermon buried back on their website, is that old sermon enough to exclude him from the process?

Or do you do your due diligence and establish whether the person, regardless of their religious affiliation, is the most qualified person to do the job?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back